Alaska cruise question

here2cruise

we are planning on taking a 10 day cruise to Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco next year. we were looking in the 2007 book and it shows Glacier Bay on some and the other show Tracey Arm Fjord...which is better? Also, the mini suites will cost us an extra 4,000 for the both of us...we are not sure what to do...we normally do the mini suites, but it is so much more then the balcony room on the Dawn. Can anyone tell me is the extra money worth it?

The reason for the larger charge for the mini on the Dawn is that the Dawn has less mini suites. Also, they are more like the full suites on the larger ships (but you do not get the full suite perks on the Sun Class ships in the minis even though they are like the full suites on the larger vessels). That is quite a big difference in price, not sure if they justify that much more, but they are great mini suites, I can assure you of that.

We are also looking at Dawn for next year but can't quit afford the mini suite. Are the balconies larger on Caribe deck as they are on Diamond? We are going on our first Princess cruise in November and not familiar with all the ships on this line. Thanks for any info.

For Dawn we like the Riviera Deck - starboard side. Very handy, and if you are closer to the center of the ship than we were, it should be quite quiet - we were under an area where carts were being moved in the early morning hours. But I'd book there again. No large balconies on Caribe Deck. Nancy

We are also looking at Dawn for next year but can't quit afford the mini suite. Are the balconies larger on Caribe deck as they are on Diamond? We are going on our first Princess cruise in November and not familiar with all the ships on this line. Thanks for any info.

The actual balcony size is the same for all balcony cabins. Approx 3 1/2-4 feet deep, and the width of your cabin, 9 1/2-10 feet. Just enough room for a small round table and two small chairs. They are all totally covered as they are cut from the hull.

All balconies on the Dawn are smaller than even the smallest balcony on the Diamond. There is no comparison between the two. It's one of the reasons we happen to prefer the larger ships.

we are planning on taking a 10 day cruise to Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco next year. we were looking in the 2007 book and it shows Glacier Bay on some and the other show Tracey Arm Fjord...which is better? Also, the mini suites will cost us an extra 4,000 for the both of us...we are not sure what to do...we normally do the mini suites, but it is so much more then the balcony room on the Dawn. Can anyone tell me is the extra money worth it?

shows no trips into Glacier Bay in 2008. Tracey Arm only for the Dawn Princess. Some cruises are stopping in Ketichikan and others in Sitka, Haines or Skagway. They are all going to Juneau, Victoria and cruising Tracey Arm.

The balconies on the Aloha and Baja decks have bigger openings than those on the Caribe and Dolphin but the balconies are all the same size....SMALL but still worth it to me. I am a photographer and it is some nice to just pop out of bed and take sunrise pics. Also, we love having fresh air in the cabin.

Cheers, Denise

One of the major differences in the mini-suites on the Dawn are that they are double WIDE instead of deep, so in essence you get a balcony that is twice as big as other balconies. It is like two side by side balcony rooms.

We liked Tracy Arm.

We opted for an inside cabin since the sun didn't go down until about 10:30-11pm and rose at 4:30!

If you limit yourself to the balcony on your suite you only see half the scene.

We roamed the decks at will and saw both sides equally and besides being bundled up in the cool air is part of the experience.

FYI: We chose the Star (don't like the Sun Class unless I can book their 'Mini' )for our Family (17 of us) for 2008. Easy Air Seattle rt. and I like the Sunday to Sunday (We'll all spend a couple of days in Seattle Pre-Cruise) This will give our Family a little taste of Alaska - It will be a first for most of them (our 4th), so one or another Itinerary didn't matter as much as the better Air fare & Scheduling from the Northeast (& London). We have our Minni's in a row on Dolphin so we can open the balcony doors and 'Party' :D

We prefer the Sun Class ships on Princess and had a balcony room on the Riviera Deck....it was great. We have had balcony rooms on the other sun class ships on the Caribe and Baja decks....all are the same size...not big but adequate. They are all cut out from the hull, as they are on the Crown Princess. I wouldn't spend that much extra for a larger balcony as I believe what you get with the balcony rooms are adequate. The Dawn is a very nice ship and we found the Riviera Deck to be an awesome location. Enjoy! I do not think you will be disappointed.

We have had balconies on the Sun Class Ships [on the Dawn, Sun, and Sea Princess] on Aloha and Baja decks. We enjoyed them--they are small but big enough for 2 people to enjoy them. We also had a balcony on the Aloha deck of Grand Princess and didn't think it was much bigger, if any. The minisuite balconies we had on the Coral on the Caribe and Baja decks were bigger.

Archived