Explorer Cabin Advice Family of 4/Party of 8

I am asking for advice regarding cabin selection for a family of four-boy 13 and girl 10 for the Explorer of the Seas on July 31, 2008 (9 day cruise). My children are not agreeable to sharing a bed and I am asking for suggestions and options for the most economical and practical reservations. We have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL but we our not familiar with RC. My parents are treating our family and my sister and husband for their 50th wedding anniversary so options regarding adjoining cabins/suites would also be appreciated. Thank you!

I am asking for advice regarding cabin selection for a family of four-boy 13 and girl 10 for the Explorer of the Seas on July 31, 2008 (9 day cruise). My children are not agreeable to sharing a bed and I am asking for suggestions and options for the most economical and practical reservations. We have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, and NCL but we our not familiar with RC. My parents are treating our family and my sister and husband for their 50th wedding anniversary so options regarding adjoining cabins/suites would also be appreciated. Thank you!

You can get a cabin with two pullman beds. You will find these in some Oceanvew and Interior cabins. Look on the deck plans for a *t* inside the cabin block.

You can get a Family Oceanview.

( I am assuming that you are trying to keep the cost as low as possible)

Here are the deck plans of the Explorer: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=03&shipCode=EX&shipProfile=1081&sailDate=1070603&hasNavigation=false

Going with Pullman beds is one way to go. Another is to pick a cabin that has a sofabed where the kids can sleep in the two separated beds and you and your husband can sleep on the sofabed.

I think I would price out the difference between 2 cabins and a cabin for 4 people. You may be surprised at how little an extra cabin can cost vs. the 4 in one cabin. We have done this with our kids for years now, to have the extra space and additional bathroom. We book an outside or balcony for ourselves, an interior across the hall for them.

If you have to have them with you in your cabin, the lowest category I'd go with is a balconey, for the extra space. 9 nights is a long time to spend in one cabin together, for a few hundred extra, it can make a huge difference in your quality of time spent together.

I would NOT, under any circumstances, give the kids the real bed and sleep on the sofa bed!!! That's no way to vacation! Those beds are not comfortable for anyone but children! The kids are young enough that one could 'camp-out" on the floor, if needed!

The difference in cost for 2 cabins instead of 4 in one is weill over $1000 for 9 Night cruise, not a few hundred. I agree that 4 together is rough over that period of time but if it means going on vacation instead of staying home, I'd do the 4 in a cabin.

I agree with the posts that suggest you check out two rooms. Believe it or not, I have always found it less expensive to go with two rooms than to try to cram us all in one. The reason being is that the category of room you often need to have enough space for four is more expensive than if you just go with a less expensive category and get two rooms. The added benefit, which is huge when you are all trying to get ready at the same time, is having two bathrooms.

On our upcoming cruise, we have two interior rooms that are connecting. In our room, the room steward will have the beds together forming one queen. In the children's room, the steward will keep the beds apart so there will be two twins. There will be a sliding door between us that we can keep open or closed.

Connecting rooms can be found in a variety of categories, depending on your pocketbook. Look for the symbol <--> on the deck plans. I just called and asked what connecting rooms they had. We booked late, so we only had one choice, but you may have several options.

You can just call the Certified Vacation Planners. Their number is on the RCCL website. Just let them know you are doing a little advance planning and just want some info and they will give you the 411 on the available rooms, floorplans and cost differences. I like to have the deck plan open on the computer while I am talking to them so I can check out where they are talking about.

Y'all are going to have a fabulous time!!! (But don't settle for sleeping on the sofabed!) :eek:

Thanks so much for all of the great advice. I am going to eliminate the suggestion of the adults sleeping on the sofabed as my husband is 6'4" and I don't think we would fit!

Archived