Best preventative for seasickness (or remedy?)

I Googled crystallized ginger and found that it is supposed to be great for motion sickness. I'm including a recipe that I found online. Hope this helps:) .

Crystallized Ginger Recipe

Ginger is a home remedy for nausea and motion sickness. This is an easy recipe for crystallized ginger. You can pack some ginger pieces in an airtight sandwich bag and carry them around with you.

INGREDIENTS:

· 1 cup peeled, thinly sliced ginger

· 3 cups water

· 1 cup sugar

· Additional sugar to coat (optional)

PREPARATION:

In a covered saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the ginger pieces and sugar and cover. Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for five minutes.

Remove from heat and allow it to sit for 20 minutes.

Although you don’t need the ginger water any more, you can keep it to make ginger ale.

Heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Place the ginger slices in a glass pan. Place the pan in the oven until the slices are almost dry but still chewy. Allow it to cool.

Toss the cooled ginger in sugar to lightly coat it, if desired. Store the crystallized ginger in an airtight container for up to two months.

Ginger Ale Recipe

Ginger is a home remedy for nausea and motion sickness. This is a recipe for ginger ale.

INGREDIENTS:

· 1 cup peeled, thinly sliced ginger

· 3 cups water

· 1 cup sugar

· 2 cups club soda

· 1 teaspoon lime juice

PREPARATION:

In a covered saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the ginger pieces and sugar and cover. Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for five minutes.

Remove from heat and allow it to sit for 20 minutes.

Strain the mixture and set aside the liquid.

Once it has reached room temperature, cool it in the fridge. Although you don’t need the ginger pieces any more, you can keep them to make crystallized ginger.

Mix the ginger sugar water with two cups of cold club soda. Add the lime juice. Stir and serve.

Makes four servings.

If you will just take the Meclizine pills starting two nights before your cruise and one every night at bed time (I can't understand why people take these pills in the daytime and walk around sleepy!) you will be just fine. I have an inner ear problem and get dizzy standing even near moving water and this will be my 9th cruise and I have never had a problem even when we have had some rough seas (two Atlantic crossings included).

I agree. I too take Meclizine at night. Worked great for me. I got mine from the pharmacy. You have to ask, they are behind the pharmacy in Idaho, and he gave me a bottle of 100 for 10.95. What a deal! All the others made me tired too. First Cruise we went on I slept on every beach we went to taking the other meds.

Now like mentioned I take it at night before bed. And then if really needed I can still take one during the day with no problems.

Hope you find what works for you. Try some before you leave. Don't wait till your on your cruise. Have a great time. :)

After several cruises, I have found Ginger pills work the best for me. I've tried the patch, (NEVER again! Hated the side effects!) didn't care for the Bonine or Dramamine either. I take 2 Ginger pills in the morning and 2 more before dinner. They work great... and I'm prone to motion sickness. I usually book an Oceanview cabin on deck 4 near the center of the ship. You really don't feel much movement there.

Thanks everyone!!

I'll definitely be trying a few of your suggestions. (that candied ginger sounds yummy!!)

It certainly makes sense to take the bonine-type pills at night. I actually never thought of that before....... How long do they last?

Thanks everyone!!

I'll definitely be trying a few of your suggestions. (that candied ginger sounds yummy!!)

It certainly makes sense to take the bonine-type pills at night. I actually never thought of that before....... How long do they last?

it says 24 hours, but I take them about 2 hours before the effects are suppose to wear off. I usually take them at night too, but I always did because if they made my stomache upset, I would just sleep through it.

Bonine still makes me tired... even if I have taken it at night. I have even tried a half a pill and still I am drowsy the next day. (I tried everything... taking it a couple of nights before to get used to it... etc.) It is a non-drowsy formula. I tried the non-drowsy Dramimine and same thing. My mother-in-law uses that and no problems. She gets the chewable kind. My husband uses the patch and has no side effects other than the dry mouth. I was drowsy with the patch and it made me feel lousy.

I am still searching for the right meds! I will say though that the one time we had very rough seas I took the Bonine and ginger capsules and though I was uncomfortable.. I didn't feel or get sick.

I think you will just need to find what works for you.

Rabbitlady:)

DH has tried multiple items - ear patch, Bonine and ginger. Ginger is his favorite now. He takes it the morning we board and then takes one every morning we're on the ship. Works like a charm. One day I was feeling nauseous and I took one and I perked back up quickly! We bought our ginger pills in the vitamin section at Wal-Mart.

Just got off the FOS 1 month ago. Another couple went with us and that lady is VERY prone to motionsickness!!!! And that is probably an understatement! She was very concerned about getting sick on the ship. She started taking ginger capsules a few days before the trip and continued taking them until the trip was over. She never had a single problem with motionsickness!!! You can buy these capsules at any health store or even a drug store. They are not expensive at all.

My DH is also very prone to getting sick. He uses the patch and it works very well for him.

How many should you take a day???

Another ginger question: are ginger root tablets the same thing?

I have searched our Wal-Mart and CVS pharmacy is the vitamin/herb aisle, and cannot find them. I even asked the lady at CVS and she said they don't carry them. But, our GNC in the mall supposedly has them, but they call them ginger root. Same thing, I presume?

What IS meclazine?????? :rolleyes:

It is for vertigo...just take it you will be glad you did !!!!! You will not get sick at all !!!! You can buy it at walgreen`s. Really I think it has the same thing in it as bonine...check on the bottle.:)

Yes, meclizine is the generic form for what is in bonine, dramamine non-drowsy, and many store-brand motion sickness medicines. For sure, the non-drowsy motion sickness aid from Target is also meclizine. They all work the same (same ingredient), so just take your pick. I am very, very prone to motion sickness, so I am going to try meclizine at night, accompanied by ginger in the morning and at night.

Yes, meclizine is the generic form for what is in bonine, dramamine non-drowsy, and many store-brand motion sickness medicines. For sure, the non-drowsy motion sickness aid from Target is also meclizine. They all work the same (same ingredient), so just take your pick. I am very, very prone to motion sickness, so I am going to try meclizine at night, accompanied by ginger in the morning and at night.

Just take the meclizine morning and night...you will be fine...keep it in your system and you won`t get sick !!! I HATE to have nausea !!!:(

I wear sea bands and take Bonine which has always worked until the night we had 15 to 20 foot waves. Apparently at 15-20 foot waves, those methods do not work for me. However, the Dramamine did get me to stop throwing up and by the time the Dramamine wore off, the waves were back to 3 foot and I was fine again. My 7-year old son who gets motion sick in the school bus and in the car when he reads did not get sick on the cruise even in the 15-20 foot waves... go figure!

• 1 month later...

Archived