If You Had to Choose

MsFeb14

For the passed several cruises we have been fortunate enough to be in either an owner's suite, royal suite, and every once in a while, the penthouse. We are booked on the Journey Scandinavian / Russia cruise next June in the RS. I just read that the balconies are included in the square footage, although it is stated otherwise. I also read that the butler service is no more than a room steward - unlike the upper categories on Celebrity where they do so much more for you without asking. My question to those who have sailed in these categories: Would you choose the newly refurbished RS on the Century that has a similar itinerary and is several dollars less over the Journey?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject.

Charlie

85 – Song of Norway

87 – Song of Norway

88 – Song of America

89 – Song of Norway

89 – Sovereign of the Seas

90 – Azure Seas

92 – Costa Classica

93 – Viking of the Seas

04 – Costa Romantica

94 – Sovereign of the Seas

95 – Monarch of the Seas

95 – Legend of the Seas

96 – Viking of the Seas

98 – Galaxy

99 – Voyager of the Sea

00 – Statendam

01 – Silver Wind

04 – Summit

06 – Diamond Princess

07 – Millenium

07 – Journey (10/20/07)

08 – Journey (06/01/08)

Might I ask where you read the info about the verandah sq footage being included in the size of the royal suite, instead of separate, so that the total sq footage is not what Journey claims it to be? I am asking as we are booked in a penthouse for a December Journey cruise. I would certainly be disappointed if the total sq footage of this cabin was less than the almost 1,000 sq feet originally offered. It was one of the first things we saw that made us book this cabin. Just a few weeks ago, the Celebrity website was still showing the interior and balcony footage separately. When I went on the Azamara website just now to look at the sq footage for this cabin, suddenly there is no sq footage at all. I used the almost 1,000 sq ft from the original Oceania site. This would be most disappointing, as I believe the sq footage on the penthouse was at least 175 to 200 sq ft originally. Perhaps Jan Cruz could update us on this? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I sailed Oceania in a deluxe balcony stateroom that was supposedly 215 square feet. Considering that Oceania is billed as Luxury- I expected a larger room than the one delivered. It was 170 square feet with 45 foot balcony. They include the balcony in the square footage.

We booked the Penthouse Suite in April for Oct. 20th sailing and in its description on the Celebrity site it read 603 SF w/ a 137 SF Verandah. The Royal Suite was described as 538SF w/ 100+ balcony. It also showed the Sky suite as 320 SF w/ 60 Balcony. Today I went to both Celebrity and Azamara sites and now it reads the Sky suite is 260 w/ 60 ft. balcony, which proves that they were including the square footage in the stateroom. There are now no sizes listed whatsoever for RS or P. I read a post the other day from someone who traveled on the Journey in the Penthouse and she said that it was rather small for what she expected. I am now wondering if they split them in half, because based on the overall numbers that would make sense.

Charlie

I definitely would go for the smaller ship !

We just came back from the Century (in a royal suite) and the suite on the Century looks (despite the upgrades) very used ! The balcony is huge but there’s a lack of charm to it. Much better on the Millennium Class ships. Tiles in the bathroom had stains all over and the décor is very dark. Sofa’s are peeping and the Airco system is odd. You’ll have the Airco output’s just above your bed, and they can not be switched of. Unless you like cold air flowing over your head all night, it’s far from pleasant.

Although I can not comment on the Journey Penthouses, the Royal Suite on the Century was somewhat of a disappointment to us.

Furthermore the overall cleanliness of the Century is lacking. Especially in the Island Grill and on the decks. We found crumbles all over between the two sofa cushions and they were not there since only a week !!!!!

Opt for the smaller ship and open seating.

They have posted the PS & RS square footage. They are much less than originally posted. The PS is 560 w/ 233 balcony. The RS is 440 w/ either a 105or 156 balcony. No wonder there was a posting that stated the PS was on the small side.

I believe Suites are getting 'real' butlers. Just the others have renamed room stewards.

The suites get what are called "Senior Butlers," which are what people familliar with X would consider 'real' butlers. Azamara advertises butlers for all cabin categories, but as nlvc12 pointed out it's just a marketing term unless you're in a suite.

Still...a good steward is a good steward, so don't let the advertised job title stop (or over-excite) you :)

Thanks for your input. I thought with the mega $$$ refurbishment that they would upgrade the rooms, as well. By your description it sure doesn't sound like it.

Charlie

Hi Charlie !

They DID refurbish all of the cabins quite a bit. If you are referring to upgrade as in making the cabins larger, that's a whole different issue. They did take out a number of cabins and replace them with Sky Suites. Rarely, are a large number of cabins made larger as the scope of work to be done would be significant. On a 4-6 week drydock, to enlarge all of the cabins would be impossible. Besides, when you make cabins larger, it reduces occupancy, and any Cruise line would be hesitant to do that.

Archived