newbie to Cunard - would love some advise

Lily'sMum

Hey there! We are going on QM2 - Oct. 31, 10-day Caribbean out of NY. Would love to hear some thoughts on a few things:

1. We have a balcony cabin on 5th level... B3 category, I think. Was disappointed when I realized you can't really see out to sea when sitting down. Is that really a big deal? Do you think we'll still enjoy the balcony on these lower levels? We just booked last week and there weren't many available cabins, so not sure we COULD change it even if we wanted to, but....would love to hear thoughts on this type of cabin.

2. We'll be flying in from the west coast on the red-eye (landing about 8:30 am)... do you think we'll be able to go to the pier straight from airport and get on board? Getting luggage, cab, travel time, etc. - I imagine we'd get there about 10:30 - 11am? I don't think the official departure is until 7pm, but any later flight out of LAX would be cutting it too close. Not sure what to do...

3. Going along with #2 - What's the best mode of transport... cab, car service to/from JFK. There are 3 of us, so the pre-paid transfers seem like a rip-off. Any thoughts??

TIA!

-Karin

Hey there! We are going on QM2 - Oct. 31' date=' 10-day Caribbean out of NY. Would love to hear some thoughts on a few things:

1. We have a balcony cabin on 5th level... B3 category, I think. Was disappointed when I realized you can't really see out to sea when sitting down. Is that really a big deal? Do you think we'll still enjoy the balcony on these lower levels? We just booked last week and there weren't many available cabins, so not sure we COULD change it even if we wanted to, but....would love to hear thoughts on this type of cabin.

2. We'll be flying in from the west coast on the red-eye (landing about 8:30 am)... do you think we'll be able to go to the pier straight from airport and get on board? Getting luggage, cab, travel time, etc. - I imagine we'd get there about 10:30 - 11am? I don't think the official departure is until 7pm, but any later flight out of LAX would be cutting it too close. Not sure what to do...

3. Going along with #2 - What's the best mode of transport... cab, car service to/from JFK. There are 3 of us, so the pre-paid transfers seem like a rip-off. Any thoughts??

TIA!

-Karin[/quote']

Hi Karin! Welcome!

#1. It never occurred to me, personally, to sit down and look at the ocean from my cabin. Most likely because if I'm on a ship I'm behaving like a child, and would be leaning over, or nose pressed to the glass, and sitting has yet to be a problem for me, because I hardly do it. :) Surely others will give you more information, esp. what a B3 room entails.

#2. You will, if everything goes well, be early. You will likely have to wait a bit, but, if what I've been told, not too long of a wait.

#3. A taxi will be fine from JFK to the Terminal. There are car services, and someone who has a phone # at the ready will hopefully join in and share it with you.

Just wanted to welcome you (again!) and hope you share your trip with us when you return. We're taking the 3rd January trip down to the Caribbean--don't know if it's the same itinerary but would love to know how you enjoyed it.

Hi Karin..welcome to the Cunard forum....you've chosen a grand ship!! We'll be getting on for the same cruise when you get off so please be kind to her.;)

I haven't traveled in the hull cabins so I can't really comment. I have read that when on the balcony you can't see out of course...must stand up to do that. I do believe when sitting on the bed you can but that's only from photos I"ve seen. We were on Deck 11 with the galss balcony for the Caribbean last year...this time I"m dropping us down to an obstructed as we spent so little time in the cabin we all agreed we didn't care if it was obstructed. You may find the same. There is so much to do and see, spendng time in the cabin seems a waste.

I know many car services have been mentioned and if you search you'll probably find a thread discussing that.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Caribbean last year. t was only 7 days so we're really looking forward to the extra days on this one. If there are any specific questions just ask...we're all happy to answer. My review is posted below if you'd like to read about my trip last year.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Hey there! We are going on QM2 - Oct. 31' date=' 10-day Caribbean out of NY. Would love to hear some thoughts on a few things:

TIA!

-Karin[/quote']

Hi Karin,

I see this is your first post on Cruise Critic. Welcome!! There is so much information about the QM2 on this forum.

1. I would suggest that you use the "search" feature at the top of the page and look for "sheltered" or "in hull" balconies. You should find lots of comments as well as photos. You might also search "obstructed" to read more about the obstructed view balconies. There are photos of them as well. There are also balconies with no obstruction that allow you to sit and enjoy the view. You might call your travel agent or Cunard and ask what other balcony cabins are available. After reading additional comments and seeing photos, you will be able to make a better decision.

Since you are new to Cruise Critic, let us know if you have trouble using the "search" feature, and we will try to guide you.

2. Yes, I would go to the pier from JFK.

3. I believe that I have read that a cab from JFK to the pier is about $45. There have been several recent threads about car services recommended by some of the locals. You might give a couple of them a call and see what they would charge. A cab can easily accommodate three people. The problem might be your luggage.

Welcome, again. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Beth

I just returned from the long weekend Memorial Day weekend cruise -- I had a B2 balcony cabin on deck 8. To be honest, I hardly used the balcony -- I didn't mind not being able to see over the rail when sitting. There are some holes in the bottom of the rail one can see through -- as someone previously mention, you do not spend much time in the cabin as there is so much to do on board.

The earliest you will probably be able to board would be 12 N -- and possibly later since you are not sailing until 7 pm. Normally they start boarding at 12N for the 5 pm cruises. I would recommend car service -- not the one offered by Cunard, but a local service. It's sometimes worth a few extra bucks.

Karin,

I can't comment on #1 or #2 as I am also a Cunard newbie, but at for #3, I lived 18 years in NYC and travel frequently. I would skip the car service and just take a yellow cab. The NY airports have official taxi stands outside the terminals near baggage claim. They will be clearly marked with lots of signs pointing the way. A dispatcher is there to regulate things. You tell the dispatcher where you are going, the next taxi in the queue pulls up (there are usually a lot of taxis waiting in line for a customer) and the driver puts your bags in the trunk and off you go. The car services are no cheaper, and are often more expensive. Do NOT use a gypsy, or unmarked cab. Just get an official yellow one at the stand. You might consider printing out the directions to Red Hook from the web site, but I doubt there would be a problem.

Thanks for all your responses...

I "discovered" the great search tool just after I posted the inquiry... it's great.

We are really looking forward to this trip. I'm sure we'll have more questions as time draws nearer.

Gracias again!

-Karin

1. We have a balcony cabin on 5th level... B3 category' date=' I think. Was disappointed when I realized you can't really see out to sea when sitting down. Is that really a big deal?

2. do you think we'll be able to go to the pier straight from airport and get on board?

3. Going along with #2 - What's the best mode of transport

TIA!

-Karin[/quote']

Hello and welcome.

My views

1. I booked a similar "balcony" cabin to the one you've booked for my crossing from the UK to the US late last year. On the north atlantic it was perfect. On a cruise however, I'd be tempted to book a glass fronted one. However, as others have noted about their cruises, I also didn't spend much time in my cabin, there is so much to do and see aboard. I treated it as an extra room in my cabin, my own private bit of deck space. These "sheltered" verandahs are very private (more so than the glass fronted balconies). They are useless for sunbathing, but the glass fronted ones are very windy and exposed when the ship is at full speed.

2. Go straight from the airport to the ship. You may have a short wait but then you can have lunch aboard, explore and be in your cabin before everyone else arrives.

3. Sorry, don't know!

There is a link below to my review of the crossing I made and another for pictures of the ship.

I really hope you have a great time, write a review when you get back and let us know how you enjoyed your cruise.

Hi Karin,

My husband and I will also be on the 10/31 cruise. We're really looking forward to it, as we enjoyed our QE2 cruise back in 2000. We will probably be on deck 5 as well - we have a guaranteed B4 cabin. I am disappointed to see the pictures of the QM2 "sheltered balconies" or whatever they call them. Nonetheless, it should be fun.

There is a "roll call" for our cruise. I don't know if you saw it on this forum but some passengers have signed up to meet. Usually these get togethers are held on the 2nd day of the cruise. I haven't gone to one on a Cunard ship, but I have on the RCCL line. Usually there is a punch and some hors d'oeuvres. On RCCL Explorer of the Seas a crew member discussed on of their new ships. (The cruise talk is obviously not the primary reason the group meets.)

Does anyone know if there is a tour to see the art and historical artifacts on the QM2? We took this tour on the QE2 and it was fascinating.

Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet on board. I have a feeling that it's going to be a full ship.

Regards,

Diane

Hey Diane - It's funny you bring up the Roll Call, because I looked for it the other day and was surprised to not see one for our sailing yet... is it new (as in, the last few days?) Or maybe I just missed it.

I'll have to check it out... "see you" over there! :)

-Karin

Cunard offers west coast red eye passengers a hospitality center at a nearby airport hotel. You are picked up at the airport, transferred to the hotel and then transferred to the pier at the appropriate time. You'd have to book your transfers with Cunard. Didn't your agent advise you?

Getting to the terminal early is not going to help you, as you will not allowed in until all passengers have debarked from the prior sailing. You'll be outside..... possibly in inclement weather.

ocngypz - We booked on our own with a web agent' date=' so didn't hear about that. I assume we can call Cunard direct for info? Let me know what you think.

Thanks![/quote']

No, you need to call the agency with whom you booked, give them your flight details and have them add transfers for you to your booking.

Hi Karin,

I haven't checked the posts for a few days, as I've been working non-stop on a project at work. There's a thread with a similar title from a British woman who is doing the transatlantic voyage before ours, and then ours as well. Penny posted the roll call site (for our trip) in that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=461309

Thank you Penny! Anyway, that's all the update I have for now.

Diane

Archived