QM2 Room Service Menu

guernseyguy

What does it mean by "Cooked breakfast"? What does that consist of?

Excellent question Beth...:)

I too would be interested in hearing from those who have used the interactive Breakfast menu....especailly what is included or makes up the "cooked breakfast" . . .

Thanks in advance to all who respond!

The cooked breakfast is: scrambled eggs, english type bacon, sausage, baked beans and toast. You order from the hangtag you will get at night from your strward, then put it on your door with what time you desire your meal from 7:00 on, every 15 mins. It will appear promptly at or a little before your request time. Order as much and as often as you want.

Room service was one of the most decadent treats of the whole trip. I did it every morning except the last. Loved the feeling of pampering when it arrived, always right on time I might add. We overslept one morning (too much night life the night before:eek: ) and the steward called us from a nearby phone to wake us up when we didn't hear his knock!!

The fruit plate was a lovely way to start the day along with the yummy muffins. Order as much as you'd like...no one's counting!:D

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

The cooked breakfast is: scrambled eggs, english type bacon, sausage, baked beans and toast. You order from the hangtag you will get at night from your strward, then put it on your door with what time you desire your meal from 7:00 on, every 15 mins. It will appear promptly at or a little before your request time. Order as much and as often as you want.

That sounds heavenly! I adore an English breakfast...Princess doesn't offer a hot room service breakfast anymore unless you're in a full suite, so this will feel like a perk to us. :)

I was just on the much discussed Memorial Day voayge.

The room service menu looks accurate to me. We also ordered several things off menu and were accomodated with our special requests.

What off menu items did you order?

Thanks

I traveled on the QM2 in Sept '05 and found the room service was best for having coffee ready for you right when you got up in the morning. We ordered breakfast a couple of times but the hot food (eggs) were quite poor.

The limited room service menu is a weak point (but a really tiny weakness) of the QM2 - The only other cruise I have been on was a 12 day TA on the Jewel of the Seas last summer. While that experience was hellish - easily the worst vacation I have ever had as an adult by far- one could order off the entire menu when using room service. In fact the service and staff on the JOS was outstanding in all areas, even better than the QM2.

On our prior cruise, on another line, it was "customary" to tip the room service steward in ca$h!

Is this the accepted protocol aboard the QM2? The reason I inquire is if there is an alternate method, i.e. charge to room, it would save me having to deal with fumbling around in the early a.m. - when I am decidedly not at my best - for those pesky dollar bill$ !:D

Thanks in advance for the answer . . .

The only other cruise I have been on was a 12 day TA on the Jewel of the Seas last summer. While that experience was hellish - easily the worst vacation I have ever had as an adult by far-

In fact the service and staff on the JOS was outstanding in all areas, even better than the QM2.

I don't understand. These 2 quotes seem to contradict one another. Can you explain?

Tipping -- I tipped in cash. I do not recall if they brought a bill to sign (and therefore use for tipping), but I think not (at least when no alcohol was ordered). I think you should plan on bringing some dollar bills.

Tipping -- I tipped in cash. I do not recall if they brought a bill to sign (and therefore use for tipping), but I think not (at least when no alcohol was ordered).

You're right - they don't bring a bill (unless alcohol is ordered). All room service is included in the cost of the holiday.

I think you should plan on bringing some dollar bills.

Why tip the room service steward? If you pay the automatic gratuity the cabin stewards get a percentage of that.

I don't understand. These 2 quotes seem to contradict one another. Can you explain?

No real contradiction. The JOS had great service. For a variety of reasons it was also a nightmarish experience that would have been even worse if the service wasn't so good.

Catching viral gastroenteritis while in seas that ranged from 8 to 10 on the Beaufort scale (wind) on a ship not designed to cross the ocean was not the best of times. Add to that on board activities that appeared to consist mostly of Bingo and scrapbooking, passengers (many, not all) who seemed intent on shoving as much food down their throats as possible (and it is amazing to witness how much is possible), plus being forced to listen to insipid background music every time on deck (ship policy) and you are looking at 12 very, very long days.

No real contradiction. The JOS had great service. For a variety of reasons it was also a nightmarish experience that would have been even worse if the service wasn't so good.

Catching viral gastroenteritis while in seas that ranged from 8 to 10 on the Beaufort scale (wind) on a ship not designed to cross the ocean was not the best of times. Add to that on board activities that appeared to consist mostly of Bingo and scrapbooking, passengers (many, not all) who seemed intent on shoving as much food down their throats as possible (and it is amazing to witness how much is possible), plus being forced to listen to insipid background music every time on deck (ship policy) and you are looking at 12 very, very long days.

The viral gastroenteritis is the issue, then. The other items, while less than desired, do not cause a nightmarish experience.

The viral gastroenteritis is the issue, then. The other items, while less than desired, do not cause a nightmarish experience.

I am sure others enjoyed the trip. However, I think I am in the best position to determine what constitutes nightmarish for me.

Anyway this is a post about QM2 room service which was prompt if limited and hopefully I will be able to enjoy it again come this Aug 9th.

Why tip the room service steward? If you pay the automatic gratuity the cabin stewards get a percentage of that.

They do, but I also knew how much money was involved. Me tossing a few extra bucks at my cabin steward or the room service person wasn't any big deal to me, but was probably a happy bonus for them.

Additional tipping is *not* required, but I enjoy rewarding people for good service and the money they receive at the time of the effort means more than something they get later on.

(Oh, and cash tips that I gave them were not automatically taxed, whereas the automatic gratuity apparantly is.)

Care,

Bill

I found the quality to be poor. Not in terms of the breakfast itself, but merely that by the time it had reached me it was past the point where it was at its best. I therefore decided to break the habit of a lifetime and eat breakfast in the restaurant - the two "cooked breakfasts" I had were so much better from being hot. The Eggs Benedict I had on the other days were superb.

Me tossing a few extra bucks at my cabin steward or the room service person wasn't any big deal to me, but was probably a happy bonus for them.

I'm in agreement with Malcolm. If using autotips, there is no need to tip further. That much was made plain by Alistair Greener, although he did talk about tipping for those who had gone the "extra mile". I think it is an Americanism that is at play here - the inability to move without tipping.

Matthew

(Oh, and cash tips that I gave them were not automatically taxed, whereas the automatic gratuity apparently is.)

Care,

Bill

Bill,

Forgive my ignorance but can you elaborate on the "automatically taxed" comment?

Bill,

Forgive my ignorance but can you elaborate on the "automatically taxed" comment?

As I understand it, the pay received via the common account (the fund that we all pay into at $13/day or $9/day or whatever it was) is then paid out to the crew as a function of their paychecks, so that they are subject to whatever employment taxes apply to them. (In the U.S., that would be Social Security, Medicare, Federal and State Income Taxes.)

If I pay someone cash, then it becomes their decision whether or not to declare that income in their personal accounting and pay taxes on it. Again, in the U.S., you are required to declare tip income on your tax returns. Some people probably do not, and save some percentage of the taxes they would pay on it which could be as much as 40%.

Note that I am not suggesting that anyone should do anything illegal. I always declare all of my income.

Care,

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the concise and well stated explanation. I was working under a mis conception ( ask my DW, she says that is my MO ! ) thinking there was a "tax" to the passenger's account.

DOH!

~ assumes best Homer Simpson grimace ~

The Eggs Benedict I had on the other days were superb.

Good to know--DH is a big fan of Eggs Benedict. Some people are connoisseurs of wine; DH is a connoisseur of Eggs Benedict. He loves a good Eggs Benedict, and turns his nose up at a mediocre one. The Eggs Benedict on a Princess cruise falls into the latter category.

Hello

I ordered the Chili with rice. I had to see how they served it. One pub I was in said it was served over the rice. The chilie was excellent, but having the rice with it was something else.

Menu looks the same as when I sailed this June 4th to NYC

Mysteryfan

QM2 NYC to Southampton April 30

Southhampton to NYC June 4th

Archived