New York and Cabs

kgerkin

We will be on the Miracle in July and I've noticed several postings where people say that there was a long line getting off the ship waiting for a cab. My husband will have to take a cab to pick our rental vehicle up after we get off the ship. Is there any way to avoid waiting in a long line for a cab? I'm not familiar with NY so I dont know if there is a better place to walk to catch a cab or not. I'll be waiting at the port with the kids and the luggage.

Smeyers got it right. The same is true when arriving at the pier. Have the cabbie drop you off and walk across the 8 lanes of traffic. We have never (2 NYC cruises) done this but it has been suggested.

When you exit the terminal there is a person handing out numbered tickets for cabs. When your number is called just yell out "here" and excuse your way through the mob to the cab.

It's all part of the experience. The wait is not long and everybody is going to the same place....Home.:(

Have a great cruise.

The same is true when arriving at the pier. Have the cabbie drop you off and walk across the 8 lanes of traffic. We have never (2 NYC cruises) done this but it has been suggested.

There actually is a pedestrian bridge a couple of blocks down, it's right at the Intrepid pier. It opened a few years ago. Other than that, crossing the street there is not a big deal at all. Just wait for the signal and then cross. Locals do it all the time. :-)

I'll pass this info to my husband. When we get off the ship, he's going to get off first and catch a cab to pick up the rental car. Me and the kids will wait a bit longer to get off the ship.

Believe me, the ramp ain't no fun. When your husband gets "back with the rental car" he best know how to drive like a New Yorker and know how to use the horn.:D

As for the pedestrian bridge, I was unaware of it's existence. Thanks for the info.

The pedistrian bridge is at 46th street- it is wheel chair accessible so it has long ramps. You will be returning at piers 90 or 92 which is at 50 or 52th street. (pier 88 at 48th street is closed) so you can either walk a quarter mile down to the ramp or wait for the light and cross the street. It is of course safer to take the ramp but there hasn't been a fatality on this stretch of 12th avenue with a Pedestrian, as far as I know(there was a bicyclist killed further down by a tow truck).

What about if you're having a car service or limo dropping you off and picking you up?? Do the limo's just sit in the long line with the cabs when they drop you off? Do most people just jump out of the cab and hoof it the rest of the way instead of running up a cab bill?

Where do people meet their limo's or car services when they get off the ship? Is there a designated area for those types of cars??

What about if you're having a car service or limo dropping you off and picking you up?? Do the limo's just sit in the long line with the cabs when they drop you off? Do most people just jump out of the cab and hoof it the rest of the way instead of running up a cab bill?

Where do people meet their limo's or car services when they get off the ship? Is there a designated area for those types of cars??

generally with limos people call them as they are getting off the ship and they are waiting nearby and drive to meet you.

You can meet them on one of the sides streets(like 53rd between 11 and 12th). Most people take the cabs or limos up to drop them off. Its a few dollars more for a cab -the limos are flat rates-but you are on vacation and most times the lines move quickly although sometimes they don't.

Where is the rental car office? Can't he walk? Everyone walks everywhere in Manhattan. I am assuming you and the kids will be in charge of getting the luggage off the ship.

I'll pass this info to my husband. When we get off the ship, he's going to get off first and catch a cab to pick up the rental car. Me and the kids will wait a bit longer to get off the ship.

I've been trying to find a hotel within walking distance as well?? Doesnt appear possible in NYC.

There are numerous hotels on 10th avenue within easy walking distance and one at 57th and 10th avenue. These are within 1/2 mile of the pier- a new yorkers walking distance. they include a Howard Johnsons and an embassy suites...without luggage of course

There are numerous hotels on 10th avenue within easy walking distance and one at 57th and 10th avenue. These are within 1/2 mile of the pier- a new yorkers walking distance. they include a Howard Johnsons and an embassy suites...without luggage of course

I tried to get into Skyline Hotel with no luck. We would have tried to walk from there WITH luggage. Really hate taking cabs (I know, I know, it's NYC!!).

There is also a Holiday Inn on West 57th. If you have the luggage on wheels, it really is not too bad, if you are in good health.

There is also a Holiday Inn on West 57th. If you have the luggage on wheels, it really is not too bad, if you are in good health.

Thanks for the heads up on the Holiday Inn. We are all in good health and have rolling luggage. What about the Travel Inn? It gets really great reviews. Is it way out of the way? My notes say it is 1/2 mile.

Archived