Walkie Talkies On board

infohunter

Was curious to know if walkie talkies were allowed on board. We have a pair that we use a lot when we are out and about. Find it allows us to wander places at our own pace and not worry if we get separated. Curious to know if HAL has an issues with us using our walkie talkies aboard?

The only time so far that we haven't used them is in Australia as the US units are on the wrong frequency. Haven't checked out their use yet for South America....

Our trip isn't for a while.... but I'm trying to project ahead and ask all of these questions. Always appreciate everyone's posts and insights.

Curious to know if HAL has an issues with us using our walkie talkies aboard?

I won't speak for HAL, but I do know that several of the passengers will have "issues" if you don't use them quietly.

Using them quietly isn't a problem.... I wouldn't want folks to disturb me....

Just so everyone knows.... I'm one of those that if my cell phone vibrates I leave the restaurant to take the call. I hate folks that talk on their cell phone when dining as folks tend to get load and they don't even realize it. So I do understand the concern about their use. That said... just asking if anyone knew if there was a problem in using them on board.

We take ours, but never use them on board..We only use them when we are in port..Only reason for that is one time lost DH in Rome & after an hour & a half, finally found him at the Trevi Fountain..Boy was I upset..

Never use them on board because eventually we'll find each other, but don't think there is a problem using them if as everyone says you are quiet about it..

I think it possible there could be some 'dead spots' due to steel. I have not seen/heard many people use them on HAL ships so I'm thinking maybe they don't work that wonderfully. If they worked so great, I think there might be more usage.

Just wanting to make sure that the frequency doesn't negatively impact ship operations.....

So the general consensus is to be discreet and to not annoy fellow passengers.... that things may not work due to how the ship is constructed.... and in general to use technology wisely :D

We always just leave notes for each other in the cabin (I'm in the library till 4, then to tea--something like that). In port we usually have designated meeting times and places and also a designated place in case we get separated.

People lived for many years without this constant contact. I admit I rebuked a woman this week for taking a cell phone call at Denali.

For what it's worth:

Great that you respect others, but I just don't see the need. If something is so important to include the other vis-a-vis walkie-talkie, bring him'her along. Otherwise, wait till you see each other.

I deal with these things at work and despise them on vacations. I don't even call the office. Guess what? They can live without me.

BTW: American radio laws don't apply in Holland. Aboard ship, you're Dutch.

For INFOHUNTER in regards to not using the walkie talkies in Australia, why didn't they work? I thought that you would be talking to each other directly and being in a foreign country didn't matter.

For INFOHUNTER in regards to not using the walkie talkies in Australia, why didn't they work? I thought that you would be talking to each other directly and being in a foreign country didn't matter.
I interpreted that "wrong frequencies" to mean that maybe the frequencies used weren't legal for walkie-talkies (really just low-power CBs) in Australia. :confused: :confused:

Just wanting to make sure that the frequency doesn't negatively impact ship operations.....
I've seen them in the hands of other pax on my last two cruises but I never 'heard' anyone using one but assumed they work just fine (or why would they bother :D )

The frequency that US walkie talkies use is used for a different purpose in Australia. So if we wanted to use walkie talkies on that trip then we needed to purchase ones there to use in order to be legal. Don't remember the frequency numbers as that trip was in 2002.....

We used them on our Veendam cruise to Alaska. We were a party of 6 adults and 7 older kids/teenagers. We allowed the kids to do things on their own if they went in at least pairs and took a walkie-talkie. We did not hear any complaints from other passengers and I did not notice getting the "evil eye" from anyone. We did try to use them sparingly and never during any entertainments or meals. They seemed to work well in all areas of the ship.

We will be taking them with us when we cruise the Mediterranean on the Westerdam this summer ( 4 adults and 4 teenagers). Even tho our teens are fairly well behaved and even got compliments for being helpful on our last cruise, after becoming a faithful CC member, you can be sure that I will be going over even more ground rules before our upcoming cruise!

Archived