Have a few NYC and Spirit Questions

vikeqn

We are planning on sailing on the Spirit on Oct. 28 on the Canada - New England cruise. We have previously sailed Royal Caribbean - 14 times and Carnival - 2 times.

We have never visited NYC and are coming in 3 days early. Wow hotels are expensive. I am trying to find a hotel in a central location to tourist stuff and under $300 per night. Any ideas? Is the Brooklyn Bridge area out of the way? How about Syracus? (SP)

We are flying back home the day the cruise returns. Any advice on when the earliest I can book our return flight? My choices are 11:30 am or 5:00 pm. We are flying out of LGA.

We are excited to try NCL's freestyle cruising. Thank you to all for your help.

Patty

We are planning on sailing on the Spirit on Oct. 28 on the Canada - New England cruise. We have previously sailed Royal Caribbean - 14 times and Carnival - 2 times.

We have never visited NYC and are coming in 3 days early. Wow hotels are expensive. I am trying to find a hotel in a central location to tourist stuff and under $300 per night. Any ideas? Is the Brooklyn Bridge area out of the way? How about Syracus? (SP)

We are flying back home the day the cruise returns. Any advice on when the earliest I can book our return flight? My choices are 11:30 am or 5:00 pm. We are flying out of LGA.

We are excited to try NCL's freestyle cruising. Thank you to all for your help.

Patty

Try Priceline.com We booked a room both coming and going (over near Newark airport) for $70/night (bid on it). The night at the end of the cruise is at the airport Marriott.

Just a suggestion. Any questions on how it works, email me at usnretdocb @ yahoo.com (run it all together).

It is expensive to stay in Manhatten. Wehave paid over $400 in the past. someone told me about the hotel called " 30/30" and said it is reasonable. Their reasonable might be different from yours. It is a good idea to shop around. It is much cheaper to stay in New Jersey and cab over. We know a lot of people who have done this. However it is nice to stay in the city, we have enjoyed several trips their, much to see and do.

Check the ships scheduled arrival time. Our cruise got back exactly as scheduled at 10:00, we did not get off until 12:00. Sometimes the scheduled time back is 7 0r 8 and you might be able to make it for 11:30 however a more experienced crusier can give you better info. I know you probably hate to have to wait until 5 but 11:30 doesn't sound like enough time to me.

Once in Manhattan any thing is within easy reach by subway, bus, cab or walking. So the Brooklyn Bridge would be easily doable. Syracuse which is up state is 200 or so mile from NYCity. Albany is closer. Buffalo where Niagara falls is is farther(about 400 miles from NY City)...NY is a big state about half the size of France or Germany.

If you do self embark you can probably make the 11:30. But you are better off for peace of mind doing the 5.

LGA is about 1/2 hour from the cruise terminal with no traffic once you get a cab...

I am traveling to NYC in just 10 days. I booked my hotel through hotels.com back in november or december. I think it pays off to book your hotel early. I am staying at the Affinia Dumont (rated #5 in tripadvisor). The room has 2 queen beds, a kitchen, and the hotel is known for its spa. It is right in midtown, 3 blocks from the Empire State Building. I got it for $162 a night. It was not under hotels.com 'low price guarantee', so I pay at the hotel. They do charge a $5 booking fee, but hey, I got it so cheap, who cares. It took a while searching the many pages of hotels.com (I think I search 10 pages each search, and I searched twice a day for two weeks). So I hunted through the pages, but i got a great rate.

I am trying to find a hotel in a central location to tourist stuff and under $300 per night. Any ideas? Is the Brooklyn Bridge area out of the way? How about Syracus? (SP)

Patty

Syracuse is NOWHERE near Manhattan. Do NOT stay there. Brooklyn is easy to get to Manhattan. An area like Brooklyn Heights is very close and very safe. You can also look into Jersey City which is also very close and safe. If you can get a deal at the Affinia Dumont like Cot427 did, grab it. It's a very nice hotel and easy access to everything.

Flight times - I would not risk the 11:30 flight. Security can be tight in New York. I cruised twice out of New York. The first time I got off the ship at almost noon. The second time was around 10:00. I live in New York so it wouldn't such a big deal for me. You would be under great pressure to make that flight.

Hi,

I stayed in Manhattan last spring, I'm from CT so normally I just drive in and out. However I needed to stay over, the room was booked for me at La Quinta Inn Manhattan 17 West 32nd Street New York, NY 10001. The rooms are around $130.00 a night. While this is not the Plaza, the rooms were comfortable, the bathrooms clean, and the location is great! The Empire State Building is literally next door.

I would also go with the 5 pm flight. You wouldn't want to miss your flight if you disembark late. And the rule is 1.5 to 2 hrs check in at the NYC area airports.

Good Luck, Happy Cruising!

Laura

Try Jersey City In The Newport Area--there Is A Doubletree Which Is 2 Blocks From The Path That Takes You Into Nyc--theres Also A Courtyard By Marriott Thats Right Next To The Path Station--there Are Also Several Restaurants In The Area Plus A Mall-i Know The Area Well Since I Work Across The Street From The Courtyard

While it's certainly possible to stay in NJ and take the PATH train in to the city, I have to say that there is NOTHING like staying in Manhattan. Yes, it is more expensive, but you can get rooms for under $200 a night...you just have to work for it. But it's worth it! My friend just got a room for about $200 just 3 blocks from Times Square (sorry, I don't know which hotel...but he used Hotels.com) If you want to see NYC, my advice is to stay in Manhattan. Besides, do you really want to have to deal with trains/subways just to get into Manhattan so you can save $50 a night? I love NYC, and I hope you enjoy your time there! There is so much to do!

Thank you to all who gave advice. I booked the Embassy Suites New York City for $290 per night. It is across from Battery Park. It is close to ground zero and the Statue of Liberty which are 2 places we plan to visit and then we will have to take cabs or buses or sub ways from there. I love the breakfast included and coctails and space you get at an Embassy Suites. We are flying into LGA which apprears to be the closest.

Thanks again.

Try Jersey City In The Newport Area--there Is A Doubletree Which Is 2 Blocks From The Path That Takes You Into Nyc--theres Also A Courtyard By Marriott Thats Right Next To The Path Station--there Are Also Several Restaurants In The Area Plus A Mall-i Know The Area Well Since I Work Across The Street From The Courtyard

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott and it was a very good hotel and so convenient to PATH. PATH was really great transportation into NYC!! I would recommend that hotel to anyone!!

I stay in Manhatten several times/year. I would never stay in Jersey or Brooklyn. For my priorities, I like being within quick walking distance of midtown. (like my shows, etc)

I have stayed at Super 8 for several years and have never paid over $200/night. Key is to keep track of pricing trends, since I have had several price drops. For several days, I double book each day separate if going through a weekend since there can be price differences and when one day drops, much easier to cancel and rebook. I have never had to change rooms etc.

Priceline can be an excellent lower cost option, but not if you need more than one bed. Most awards are for only one bed and next to impossible to get 2. Two rooms can be cheaper than a regular booking of one, so also a consideration.

Thank you to all who gave advice. I booked the Embassy Suites New York City for $290 per night. It is across from Battery Park. It is close to ground zero and the Statue of Liberty which are 2 places we plan to visit and then we will have to take cabs or buses or sub ways from there. I love the breakfast included and coctails and space you get at an Embassy Suites. We are flying into LGA which apprears to be the closest.

Thanks again.

Be certain, to get your access passes for Statue of Liberty PRIOR to your arrival. In very short supply and if you wish walk up passes, need to be in line by 7am, usually earlier.

we recently spent 3 nights in Newark airport area at BW, rooms are ok and free breaky, we left the hotel by 08:00 and drove down by Penn station in Newark and park there all day, (5 or 6 parking in that close and secure vicinity) we took the PATH from Newark to Ground Zero everyday 1.50$ per ride and the NY subway is $2.00 per ride, we had a real nice time

Archived