MSC Lirica- December 21,2007

treats7985

It's odd to see all the families breaking out of the mold a family Christmas at home....that's what childhood is all about! I should know I raised 4 sons.

My husband and I are looking for peace and quite...that's why we avoided the Carnival and Disney cruises....to many kids to suit our taste.

I hadn't realized they were giving away the ship to free kid cruisers....this concerns me greatly....it's beginning to sound alot like we will be the minority,and the travel agent made reference that this was more of an adult ship....figures sales pitch I'm sure.

Those parents traveling with children please be considerate of those that have served their time and have longed for the nights to have romantic dinners dressed up without having to hear children being disciplined at the dinner table, please consider, if you are assigned to a table with other adult couples to have dinner with the kids at the buffet and not main dining ever night, or let them do the kids club deal....my kids loved it, and wanted to be there day and night. You'll appreciate the suggestion when your "golden years" arrive.

Merry Christmas, you see our children are at homes with their families now, and we have arrived to travel without guilt. I can't imagine a youngster waking up Christmas morning with no Santa!

"families breaking out of the mold a family Christmas at home....that's what childhood is all about"

And Why are YOU not at home with your "Family"? Probably because your grandchildren are too noisy for you!! I'm sure they are happy that you are going away on a Cruise this year! I hope you are not assigned to My "Family's" Table-What a horrible thought for us..... Lighten up! Yes, We are breaking out of the mold (but it is Ok - our kids don't believe in Santa anymore) they are 17, 14 and 13. I wanted to get the kids away from all the materialism of the christmas shopping...- get them away from the constant cell phones and texting on the computer etc etc and spend a quality week with them. This will be our BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!! We cant wait! When you see the family with the laughing and smiling kids and parents holding hands that will be us ..and I'll wave at you guys- the 2 old people frowning at all the kids. I think you forgot what "childhood is all about"

It's odd to see all the families breaking out of the mold a family Christmas at home....that's what childhood is all about! I should know I raised 4 sons.

My husband and I are looking for peace and quite...that's why we avoided the Carnival and Disney cruises....to many kids to suit our taste.

I hadn't realized they were giving away the ship to free kid cruisers....this concerns me greatly....it's beginning to sound alot like we will be the minority,and the travel agent made reference that this was more of an adult ship....figures sales pitch I'm sure.

Those parents traveling with children please be considerate of those that have served their time and have longed for the nights to have romantic dinners dressed up without having to hear children being disciplined at the dinner table, please consider, if you are assigned to a table with other adult couples to have dinner with the kids at the buffet and not main dining ever night, or let them do the kids club deal....my kids loved it, and wanted to be there day and night. You'll appreciate the suggestion when your "golden years" arrive.

Merry Christmas, you see our children are at homes with their families now, and we have arrived to travel without guilt. I can't imagine a youngster waking up Christmas morning with no Santa!

Hello. I take offense to your traditions. I believe families should be together at Christmas. The immediate family is the most impportant to me because it is them there every day getting through the daily routines not aunts uncles grandparents that only come around for food and gifts. Seems to me that you have no right as another passenger to suggest to families how they will dine during their Christmas Holiday or furthermore how and where they should celebrate their holiday. Christmas for us is always cold where we are and my husband and i began our own family traditions by taking ourselves and our children away at Christmas and I have never looked back. I tried a couple of times to be the host of several dinner parities only found them to be tiring, stressful and expensive. Did I enjoy myself certainly not. I find cruising at Christmas a true relaxing time for me (Mom) I don't have to shop, put it away, get it out cook it serve it clean up after it. I spend my money to have someone else take on that job, that is why we chose cruising. I have met many of your type of grandparents runnung away to a cruise at Christmas to get away from the children. They have shoved my children our of the way to get to the buffet and I do not tolerate it. We have just the same rights as you do we all paid our fare. I am here to tell you Cruising is the fastest growing in the travel industry abd there will be only more and more families taking a real vacation on these ships at Christmas. I suggest that you go to the higher end lines like Cunard where children are few and far between. Oceania also hass less children. Perhaps you should get a cabin on an island, where ther is no chance of children, you don't even want to be around your own.Always remember you can get a table for 2 on any cruise line and be anti social. We as a family celebrate Christmas with all the trimmings. I have a tree, we have stockings mistletoe and the works. Santa has a key to get into the cabin. He comes every year and my family loves every moment. Christmas can be anywhere in the world as long as you have your immediate loved ones. They are all that matters. For all you families traveling out there at the Christmas season. Go for it you will be hooked and the old people who want nothing to do with children can just either tolerate it and stay home next year. Do not let the these narrow minded people spoil your holiday plans. We all work incredible hours these days and we need our vacation and so do our children. One more item we pay more money to travel at Christmas it is a high season. We work around our jobs and our children's school. I am most annoyed with your absolute rudness towards travelling families. I have been in that position where we get the evil eye because OMG they have children in the dining room!!! I get compliments from other passengers into the cruise as they watch these children on their excellent dining manners and are in awe as my 9 year old eats escargot. The head maitredee once told me that they were better behaved than some of the older people after a few drinks.

Thats all for now folks keep cruising families!!!

Well, "auctioneers" is in for a real treat. This cruise has been promoted heavily to families and with the kids absolutely free, it will be packed to the gills with little darlings all hyped up on holiday candy & treats!

Our kids are teens now & sometimes it seems the best way to get uninterrupted family time these days is to leave town. If we should decide to take this cruise & get a table with "auctioneers", we'll be sure to not "discipline our children at the dinner table" and disturb the peace & quite they are seeking. However, if it were me, I would have done a little more homework and found a cruiseline that offered a more upscale, private dining experience where this would not be an issue.

This is the absolute least expensive cruise I have ever seen. Given its the holidays, this price is absolutely rock bottom. Always remember, you get what you pay for! I have read reviews that the walls are paper-thin and not very well sound-proofed. Let's all hope "auctioneer" does not get a room next door to any misbehaved children!

I am an empty nester and I'm proud to say I will be travelling with a 12 yr old, a 5 yr old, a 4 yr old and a 3 yr old. I'm blessed to have three of them be my god children. Yes their parents are going, (as well as my husband) but I hope to share in all their experiences as they all go on their first cruise. I just love to see the wonder in the children's eyes....

auctioneers, lighten up a little.... check out some of the longer and higher end cruises, there are always 'less' (though never none) youngsters..

Please, Please, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We take our kids just about everywhere we go. Example- Land tours-Germany, Jamaica, Bahamas, Texas, and Florida etc. They are 2 and 3 years old. There has only been one time( major crying etc. )where they misbehaved and could not be consoled at all. We vacation as a family of because of the drama at family gathering. Where having to fly, drive, etc. to meet the family and running to and from locations etc. Now they we have to pay for seats on the plane for the kids. I would rather add a couple more dollars and cruise and get more bang for our bucks. If they choose to misbehavior this time while so be it. They are kids not mini- adults. And will be attended to as needed. We choose to expose our kids to different cultures, and experiences. Auctioneer- cruise elsewhere. It almost sound like you may have not enjoyed your parenting years. We planned on doing a couple of buffet nights anyway, because we try to keep them on schedule, but for you to make suggestions where we should dine etc., let us make a suggestion -try another cruise, and cruiseline this holiday season. Have you considered that this cruise will likely be jammed packed with children from all over. And if I am not mistaken(could be) , they pick up people at ports along the cruise, therefore, you will be out numbered. Or maybe stay in your suite and order limited room service. I hope you can find a happy median.

We're first time cruisers on this ship, travelling with our children (daughter 17, sons 13 & 10. Glad to see so many families on board!

Did anyone book excursions through MSC? We booked some on our own, a beginners dive in St. Thomas and a triple snorkel in Nassau. Not sure what to do in San Juan since we arrive in the evening and many excursions are daytime only. Curious about Cayo Levantado too, will there be much going on since it's Christmas day? Might be a great day to lay on the beach and soak up the sun.

Hope we get dinner seating with another family! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It was FANTASTIK! Everything was better than ever expected. Although this was our first cruise, we asked the opinions of other 'experienced' cruisers and they thought the same. Couldn't say enough about the cleanliness - in fact when we docked in St.Thomas we had the health inspectors board and do a thorough check of the whole ship - the Lirica received a very proud 100% -which i hear is very rare - even the best only receive 90%!

MSC is also adding 2 more ships to their fleet by the end of '08 and they are supposed to be 4,000 plus passengers.

Out of 2200 passengers - 200 were Canadian - 800 were American - 800 Asians and the remaining were 'others'. Included in all of that there were 500 kids under the age of 17.

I would cruise with MSC again in a second!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW is all I can say. I have been on several cruises before, but my family never has. My husband and 3 teenagers all went, A girl 17, and 2 -14 year old boys. The boat was super clean- they even hosed off our balcony every day! If you can get a balcony- go for it- it was worth every cent- we loved having our room service coffee and bread in the out there before our larger breakfast in the dining areas. If anybody complains about the food- then they just love to hear themselves complain!! I thought the kids would go for the casual buffet on some nights but they fell in love with our waiter "Youseff" and got very spoiled having their forks changed and their table "crumbed". They wanted to eat in the dining room every night they could!

The kids also did not miss a show in the Broadway Theatre. Most shows were very good- one reminded me of a Cirque De soeil type show. I only wish my husband and I could have stayed awake for more of the night life! I heard the clubs were great! The drink prices were really high, but shhhhhh! we were able to smuggle in about 4 bottles of booze- plastic bottles wrapped up very well and then wrapped up like christmas presents. Dont miss the coctail party with the captain on the first formal night. They serve FREE drinks and really nice appitizers for 1 hour before dinner. We liked it so much that we went back in after our dinner for more drinks when the 2nd seating people were in there!! Ha!

If you have kids buy the drink coupons for the sodas then hand out the coupons to the kids- saves about 1.50 per drink- also you can buy six packs of soda at port and cary on the ship. Even with the drink coupons the sodas are still 2.50 each/ without they are $4.00 I think. Bring your own ping pong paddle and balls with you - much easier than having to check out one and then you can play whenever you want. I also saw a man driving balls off the ship at dusk from the mini golf area- gues he brought that?

I wish I would have discovered the steam room/sauna earlier (FREE) and also there is a really nice Meditation room in the fromt corner of the spa. It is a room that has really comfortable lounge chairs and it is at the front of the ship with floor to ceiling glass. A really nice place to relax and read a book if you have had too much sun and do not want to be out by the pool. Also a cool place to watch the boat come into port. Kids have to be 14 to use the work out room and they HAVE to have tennis shoes. Good walkie talkies work well on boat in keeping up with the kids. We felt very safe letting them roam around and some of their favorite moments were "hey dude remember that time at the karoke bar at 3am....""

THERE ARE NO CLOCKS IN THE STATEROOMS. This was a problem because my kids are so used to looking at their cellphones for the time and since they had no cell phones ....

All and all a great cruise, did not seem too crowded, lots of public areas, great staff- we had a perfect Christmas cruise. We were on and off the boat in under 1 hour both times.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

We sailed over Christmas. San Juan (there in the PM only) St thomas, the DR (Cayo- the "private type island") and NASSAU. 2 DAYS OR SO AT SEA / 7 DAYS TOTAL. - I can tell you more in detail if you are sailing to these ports also. Have FUN- I am ready to go again!!

Archived