DVD players

Do the DVD players on HAL (we're sailing on the Prinsendam on 6/26) play US DVDs? I know there's a difference between US and European models, and I'd like to bring my Tai Chi DVD so my husband and I can review the moves. I think it would be fun to do our practice in the gym ... or, as our teacher suggests ... on the deck in nice weather. That could be interesting.

Thanks,

Susan

We're from the good old USA - and so are our DVDs. They all worked just fine on the cruise. In fact, we had saved a few new releases to watch for the first time onboard. It made for a nice wind-down before going to bed.

I don't know of any dvd players that won't play standard music cds (e.g., a normal CD you bought from the store). However, some dvd players won't play CDs with MP3s on them as opposed to standard CD track.

Cool! Guess I can leave my portable speakers and CD player at home!!

Okay, now one more question :D -- is there a headphone jack on the TV? I have an adapter that I can use to plug my MP3 player into a headphone jack on a stereo (or portable external speakers) -- will it work? Then I wouldn't have to lug the CDs and just bring my little MP3 player along...

The DVD player will play audio CD's, but as we found out last year on the Veendam, the TV has to be on for this to work. Seems pretty obvious, but it was something we never thought about.

We have a relaxation CD we like to listen to when we go to bed, and we found there was no way to turn off the flatscreen TV's built in screensaver (aside from reaching around back and unplugging the video cable).

Other than that, it works great!

In case someone is reading this thread and is booked on the Zuiderdam (Vista Class) in an SS cabin (only one I know about, personally), the set-up is a little different--older DVD player, tube-type TV--and I had to ask the steward to find a working remote before I could use it. It took him two tries to find one, because there are several different brands on the deck I was on--due to missing/broken ones? Also, the A/C was so noisy, I decided to use my headphones to keep from blasting Bruennhilde's Hojo-to-ho's to all my neighbors!

On Ryndam (S Class), in an inside, none of those problems.

But it sure beats no music, or the (IMO) crummy stuff on some lines.

Volendam is up next--stay tuned??!

• 5 months later...

Cruise ships in this days will change to Flat screen TV.

On our last cruise we do not bring a DVD Player. But I glimpse a little behind the Flat TV Set. What I saw was a kind of VGA connector. So I guess the Signal in the ship will broadcast in Digital Form like in a PC Network.

Maybe the TV is an computer monitor (Cheaper then TV Set AND a tuner is not needed). I'm not a technician to tell you details; by the way what I have done is to convert Video from NTSC to PAL and vvs.

But I like to know How you can ad your DVD Player on this kind of connector???

Has every one succeeded to do so?

Ahoy!

We sailed on the 'Elegant Explorer' in May and June. We were down on the Dolphin deck, outside and they had the flat screens/dvd player. I believe all the DVD's we borrowed from the front desk were all region 1 discs.

In so far has using a CD I don't see why it would not work. We didn't bring any because I have all our music stored on our travel laptop with #2 mini speakers that we use.

Further, if I recall there were no jack ports on the front of the console of the tube. I think I looked because I thought about putting a 'slide show' of various port pix on the tube via the laptop but no ports were available. The TV was also bolted down pretty good so I couldn't look at the 'rear end' to see if said ports were available.

Hope this helps.

Your gonna love the Prinsendam (my fav HAL ship). Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Would anyone happen to know if they'll also play music CD's? When we sailed on the Dawn (in an AC penthouse) there was a TV with built-in DVD but it would also play music cd's.

Flatscreen TV and DVD on Rotterdam on desk of Cat B - we bought CDs from some of the ports we visited and played them no problems. Just have to switch the TV to AV to listen to/watch both CDs and DVDs

Archived