What did you do in Buenos Aires?

SandyR5

Buenos Aires is a wonderful city, and your 2 days are going to go by too quickly! We were there this past February and my suggestions of not to be missed:

- Take a city tour that will take you to the various neighborhoods like San Telmo, la Boca, the Recoleta and its cemetary.

- Make it to a tango show - they offer with or without dinner - it's up to you, but usually dinner is so-so, but don't miss the show!

- Have dinner in Puerto Madero, the newly restored docks area. It's a nice walk from city center and you can always come back with a taxi. It's filled with really nice restaurants.

- Go for coffee at Cafe Tortoni and make sure to order the little croissants pastry- yum!

- Visit Casa Rosa and Plaza de Mayo

- Shop on Florida Street for leather goods - prices aren't really better but they can tailor a jacket or coat to your specific measurement in a few hours!

For a detailed review of my time in BA and cruise, click on 'review' in my signature below!

MC

Yes -- we were on a non-cruise excursion. So our boat had a mix of tourist including some from other parts of Argentina. The guide narrated in both Spanish and English. For a description, check the cruise excursions. Many of these sightseeing trips can be booked from the hotel. Our excursion was a combination of the tourist train and delta./Sultan

sultan sfo,

Was there a guide who narrated your boat trip?

I am going to Buenos Aires for 7 days, then 2 days to Iguassu Falls, then 1 day on our own where I have to get own accomodation then take the Celebrity Infinity cruise from BA to Santiago, and then fly home. I am going to do a "tango tour" while in BA. It consists of 1.5 hours of tango lessons each day and we stay at a tango hotel in BA. That is the part I am not sure about. We tried to trade our timeshare with no luck so far. Things I want to do while in BA: 1. See a tango show, 2. Go to the milongas and dance tango, 3. Go to the Tigre Delta tour, 4. Shop, and of course, improve my tango. I will have 1 day between getting off the boat and flying home, so wondering what to do? Thinking of staying in a hotel as part of post cruise tour, and doing a tour, but not sure yet. I still have 6 months until we leave. I can't wait.:)

I think it called is Delta Tigre. It is a boat ride through the Delta. I thought it would be a waste of time but it turned out to be very interesting. /Sultan

I have been on that tour. I agree it was was quite interesting to see how people live on those silt islands. I was amazed at how the wake from our boat would wash up onto the lawns. Everything seemed so precarious. We also took the suburban train part of the way back into BA.

However, I wouldn't recommend this tour if you are only in town for a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - Going to be here for 2 days. What did you do? What are some of the highlights in your opinion? Thanks.

Arrange for a walking tour w/ a guide for the first day or half day. It's such a rich city filled with history. I could stay there for a week and not be bored. Have the guide walk you through the La Boca area. It can be dicey and never go there at night, but it's fun during the day. It's the home of the tango.

My "Dont miss" list:

Visit the cemetary in the Recoleta neighborhood - the swankiest part of the city. (do this without a guide, you don''t need one for this)

Take a tour of the opera house. They're held every couple of hours (ask hotel concierge the schedule). It's the largest opera house in the world and definitely a "don't miss".

Go to at least one tango show in the evening. I like the Piazella one, it's less "glitzy" than than some of the others. But don't get yourself nuts over this, they're all wonderful and you'll love the one you go to. Dinner and wine is included w/ tkt price.

IF you have time:

Visit San Telmo area for antiques.

Walk on Florida Street - it's a busy, pedestrian only shopping street. Kind of obnoxious w/ the touts, but ok.

Have a drink at the bar at the Claridge Hotel. It's an institution - everyone goes there, locals and tourists. It's a british style pub.

BTW, if you're the type (as I am) to always get a fresh manicure/pedicure before a trip, have it done in Buenos Aires, if it's your first stop. It's high quality and cheap. I paid $3.00 for a mani in a good salon in Recoleta.

A good shopping mall is Pacifica. They have all upscale shops and nice restaurants.

Buy some great Malbec wines (best are from the Mendoza region) to bring aboard ship with you.

Have a great time. BA is a terrific city!

Definitely see the Recoleta cemetary. It is amazing that after all these years, people are still putting flowers on Evita's grave.

If you do not get a local guide in BA, buy yourself a good guide book. There is so much history & so many stories that you will miss a lot of interesting info.

It is a shame that you must decide between BA & Iguazzu. They are both "must see" places! We spent a month doing a land tour of South America & still have many places yet to see.

Hint...the dollar is very strong in Chile & Argentina, items very expensive in Rio. If you are going to Rio last, buy most of your gifts before you get there.

Nancy

Anyone know the best way to squeeze in a trip to Iguazu Falls - we are starting in Santiago and ending in Rio, not Buenos Aires! The ship provides an excursion to Iguazu but then we cannot see Buenos Aires. Any advice?

Go from Rio. Both Tam and GOL fly to Foz do Iguacu from Rio. TAM has a non-stop and GOL has a connecting flight via Curitiba. I did the flight on GOL last fall and it was 1/3 the price of the TAM flight. If you go, stay in the park at the Tropical Das Cataratas. This hotel or the Sheraton on the Argentinian side are the best. It is kind of expensive but worth it from my perspective. I would allocate 3 days for this trip.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's still offered, this was one of the most enjoyable tours we took in BA. There was about a 1/1/2 hour drive out of town through beautiful countryside to the estate. The Gaucho show was fabulous and fun and the BBQ and entertainment was great. They serve their own estate bottled wine which was very good. Their home made ice cream was the best.

The city tour is really worth doing and we really enjoyed La Boca Bario where we bought a couple of leather masks. Our friends back home wished we had bought more as they all wanted them.

The Tango show was wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise and stay in BA. It's truly a wonderful place.:D

If it's still offered, this was one of the most enjoyable tours we took in BA. There was about a 1/1/2 hour drive out of town through beautiful countryside to the estate. The Gaucho show . . .

We'll be in Bs As next year, so thank you for this information and recommendation. Through whom did you book your gaucho/estancia tour? I'd very much like to check into doing this, and it helps to have your personal recommendation of a particular tour. Thanks!

If it's still offered, this was one of the most enjoyable tours we took in BA. There was about a 1/1/2 hour drive out of town through beautiful countryside to the estate. The Gaucho show was fabulous and fun and the BBQ and entertainment was great. They serve their own estate bottled wine which was very good. Their home made ice cream was the best.

I have to agree with cdkempton!

We also did the day tour in the Pampa, and if you have enough time to do it, it is a great tour. It shows you the country side of Argentina, that you don't get to see in the rest of the cruise. It's a nice ride, the food at Estancia La Fortuna was great - they greet you with hot empanadas that are out of this world! We could either go horseback riding or take a carriage ride around the estate. They had a small shop of arts and crafts. The gauchos were so proud to show us their skills, and their wifes and kids were eager to tell us about their way of life. A great day!!

We had booked this tour as part of our pre-cruise package with Princess. I have many pictures posted on the web (link is in my signature).

MC

Archived