Crown Princess - May 30 thru June 8 Review

UT-Volsfan

Thanks for the great review! 2 ???. Is the carribe open for breakfast or lunch. I heard you can find seats here when the Horizon is crowded, but did not here if they were serving. Also wondered if Danilo's tables are by a window. It's great to hear about a good waiter ahead of time,but we love sitting near the winow!

[

Cathy, I'd be interested in hearing more about this excursion that you took. Sounds like it's something different and that's always good!

Kaws,

The pig roast was not a cruise sponsored excursion and is NOT for the unseasoned traveler. We had been to San Juan many times over and wanted to get out and see more about how the locals lived in rural San Juan.

From what I understand, it is biggest on the weekends, especially Sunday and since our ship was there on a Sunday, I thought it was the perfect time to try some adventure there. If you go to the San Juan topic, you will find talk about Guavate.

Basically, we walked across the street to the Sheraton when our ship was in port, rented a car there from Hertz, although I know many recommend Charlie's. We did Hertz since my husband is Gold membership and it was just across the street. Then we ventured out by jeep into the Guavate countryside. It's mostly all highway driving with a toll road and the exit is Cayey - Este / Guavate. I'd have to check my notes. You take a left off the exit ramp onto 184 (south) and go about five miles where there will be a bunch of them. This is a weavy mountain type road. We went to the one recommended which was El Rancho El Original, which will be on the right side of the road but there is another loud one across the street too. I say loud because they all have live bands playing music and the locals are dancing although there is no reason you can't join in. We just watched. :)

They have a pig on a spit along with other authentic food, but since we don't speak spanish and found very little English there, it was an adventure. Our last cruise before this one was three weeks in Asia, so we like to get out from the usual touristy stuff. They have lots of shops where they show their wares, many homemade types and it's just a different side of Puerto Rico you see that isn't touristy even slightly. Not all the way sure what we were eatting in all cases (G), but it was part of the adventure.

But again, I need to stress...this is rural Puerto Rico and not for someone that needs a guide to hold your hand. Hope this helps and as I said, you can hear more about it over on the San Juan boards or ask questions over there. Someone by the name of "Big Sky Country" will be able to give you worlds of information on San Juan and the surrounding areas. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Cathy

we booked the grand turk 4wd safari. (which is the only excursion we plan on booking on the cruise). haven't ben able to find ANY feedback about it, and it is $99 per person too, so we aren't too sure about it. from what i have read, most people just hang out at margaretaville and there is not much to do on this island. any info? is there shopping anywhere?

san juan - we have been there several times and not sure what to do there either. of course we are docked there all day...lol

we did the rainforest, old san juan tour, fort tour. were thinking of going to condado (?) (the hotel strip) to check it out, was there before a while back. from what i remember, there wasn't much there though, am i correct? any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the great review! 2 ???. Is the carribe open for breakfast or lunch. I heard you can find seats here when the Horizon is crowded, but did not here if they were serving. Also wondered if Danilo's tables are by a window. It's great to hear about a good waiter ahead of time,but we love sitting near the winow!

I believe you could get food in Caribe for breakfast and lunch but we can't tell you much about it - we didn't use it during the cruise. Believe somebody said they got sushi there one day for lunch - but I'm sure somebody that used it will respond here.

Afraid Danilo's tables were more in the middle of the dining room - were were at table 257 in Michelangelo's.

What did you think of the rainforest tour? :confused: I was concerned that my kids may be bored.....two 11 yr old boys and a 17 yr old girl and boy. We are also looking for something to do there - have never been to San Juan or Old San Juan...HELP! :eek:

Archived