A Critical Question

Kevbear

As this is my first cruise and we need to at least semi look experienced and not like total rookies I am having a major issue... which I should point out I was told at home to stop obsessing over this d*mn cruise because it is just another vacation. WELL fellow cruise critics, we know better, right... your first time is special!!! OK so the all important question is (drum roll please)... if I book a massage after a tiring day of relaxing and eating is it appropiate to wonder down the halls in my celebrity robe to THE AQUA SPA or should I just walk down in my normal attire?

If I wonder down a hall in my robe will people assume I am A) locked out of my room, B) thrown out of my room, C) on my way to THE AQUA SPA, or D) used to cruising on a cruise line of lesser quality? Only you fellow addicts will know the correct answer!

Kevin

If you feel comfortable wandering about the halls in your bath robe then you shouldn't worry what people think. None of the Celebrity ships are that hoity toity! Be aware though, that there are locker rooms and showers in the spa area and robes are provided so it's easy enough to just wear regular clothes, comfy sweats or swimsuit to and from the spa. I enjoy the whole ritual of soaking, steaming and showering before and/or after my spa treatments almost as much as the treatment itself! I also prefer to schedule my spa treatments on a sea day so there's no rushing back to the ship or rushing to make it to dinner just so I can squeeze in a "relaxing" spa treatment. You should go directly to the spa to schedule your treatments as soon as you board the ship. The next stop should be to the specialty restaurant to schedule your dinner(s).

Ask yourself this question: Would you wear a bath robe to the mall? How about a church? A baseball game? No, no, no. You don't wear robes in public, regardless of how formal or informal the setting. It's just wrong.

You asked, so here's an honest answer: It is not appropriate to wear a bath robe in public areas on the ship. It's a BATH robe, meant to be worn in the BATH room after you take a BATH. :rolleyes:

I just got off the Summit and a lot of people wore their bath robes to go to the pool and to the spa. I think it's fine if you are going from A to B but don't stop and eat dinner or lunch with it on!

Are you supposed to wear a suit to go to the pool? No. It's a cover up. It's fine.

There was a line in our daily paper that said you could wear it to the pool and spa but if it wasn't back in your room the day you leave, you will be charged $35.00 for it.

OK so to answer my silly question it is sometimes OK to wear my robe while wondering down the halls as long as I only stay for 1 martini? :D And lightly nibble at the sushi bar?:D But not for the full meal deal or say taking in a show...:rolleyes: And as I never (well OK rarely) wear my robe between my bathroom shower and my bedroom I will promise never, ever to appear in the halls in That Suit:eek: !

Kevin

When I have seen fellow passengers in robes, any where aboard ship, I just assumed that they were going to or from the pool area. NO BIG DEAL, IMHO :D

Since they offer lockers, changing and showers, you feel more comfortable waiting until you get there, otherwise; "don't worry, be HAPPY"! :cool:

It has always been clearly stated on the little tag on the hanger with the robes that they are not to be taken out of the state rooms. It is pretty tacky. I have never seen more than 2 people on each cruise do it, but I have never gone on the M class ships. With that many more people you are going to have more doing it I suppose. It just kind of leaves people snickering in your wake which is probably not how you want to remember your first cruise. I would just wear my regular clothes. I always do and most people you meet in the spa will be doing the same. It's no big deal.

Besides, everyone will know by the quality of your robe what kind of cabin you have! :p

If your cabin is near the forward elevators, you won't necessarily pass that many people anyway...

I've worn just my swimming trunks while headed up to the pool...

As long as you're not stopping for lunch at the dining room on your way to the spa, I think you're okay...

Who the heck cares what you're wearing anyway? If you're heading from your cabin towards the spa wearing a robe, I assume you're going to the spa...or the thellasotherapy pool...or to some other venue where your attire is appropriate...

People sniggering in my wake... agh! And are those little tags like the ones on your matress & pillows which I always remove? I mean what if I got a robe hanger with NO TAG and unknowingly walked out to THE AQUA SPA in my robe (stopping for just a single martini) and had people sniggering in my wake!!!:eek: Thank you for saving me from a terrible fate. I shall use discretion, and wear my robe onto my balcony where I will sip my martini privately:rolleyes:

Kevin

It has always been clearly stated on the little tag on the hanger with the robes that they are not to be taken out of the state rooms. It is pretty tacky. I have never seen more than 2 people on each cruise do it, but I have never gone on the M class ships. With that many more people you are going to have more doing it I suppose. It just kind of leaves people snickering in your wake which is probably not how you want to remember your first cruise. I would just wear my regular clothes. I always do and most people you meet in the spa will be doing the same. It's no big deal.

Besides, everyone will know by the quality of your robe what kind of cabin you have! :p

with the thearapy pool being "no charge" on the mill class, we saw alot of people in there robes. I'v been on both class's and more robes where seen on the M class.

Not because of what anyone else will think of you in your robe but because the showers are nicer than in your cabin (at least nicer than in my cabin-and I had a nice cabin). There's a sauna and all the supplies they provide for you in your bath. It was a nice place to be and it made the spa experience seem to last longer to linger there.

I'd use one of their emoticons but none convery the appropriate smile for a great day at the spa@

OK so the general opinion is that as I am in a suite if I were to appear in the hall showing the high class of us Argronians everyone would gasp at my attire either because I have failed to tie the robe tight and have some wasabie on the ends or that it is perhaps the robe is spun of terrycloth with golden threads :rolleyes: and they will be amazed that a suitie is out and about when I could just as easilier be in my room or balcony getting a massage while the bridge crew look on with envy... Luckily there are very few cruise critics on the Summit that run so you will all be wondering is he or isn't he??? And just who is that Kevbear guy that eats sushi and drinks martinis in a robe... is he in truth an Argronian or is he (gasp) a transplanted Californian just pretending to be a hick!:confused: And is he serious about doing the 14 night Hawaii run in March 2006!!!:eek: Be releaved, my robe will never pass the stateroom door at least with me in it. And thanks for some great answers folks.

Kevin

When you call or go in person to book your massage (or treatment) just ask them if it would be appropriate to wear your robe. You will get your answer right from the horse's mouth (so to speak). We just had our first cruise as well and believe me, there are no stupid questions when you honestly just don't know the answer.

We seem to be speaking here about going to the spa. What about if you are going to the regualr pool or the thallasotherapy pool? Do you wear your clothes over your swim suit and take them off at the pool, putting them on a lounge chair? What about when you want to return to your room and are wet? Do you just walk back to your room in your wet swim suit, carrying your clothes, or put your clothes back on over the wet suit? I'd feel more comfortable having a robe over my suit vs walking around in just my swim suit. Now I'm just talking about going between the room and the pool area; I would never go into a lounge or eating area in a swim suit or a robe. What is the solution?

It's called a cover-up or more specifically, a swimsuit cover-up. :rolleyes:

They sell them everywhere, even Wally World! Here's how it goes: You put on your swim suit in your cabin. You put on your sunscreen in your cabin as it should be applied 20 to 30 minutes before you go in the sun. You put on your swim suit cover-up and your shoes (Kinos if you have them, in which case you should be smart enough to know all this and are just yanking my chain!), now you are ready to go to the pool! Get your towels from the pool butler, put one down, yes, I know the chairs have pads, but you should put a towel on the pad before you put parts of your body which are naked on it, just common courtesy. When you are ready to leave, please wait until you are no longer dripping, put your cover-up on, carry your towels to the dirty towel bin, do a minor police job of your area to make sure you have everything and go back to your cabin. Note that nowhere above did I mention a bathrobe as you were not taking a bath!! :)

Hey Tuggers,

I think this poster is yanking your chain. Can I wear my robe off the ship so I won't get sunburned on those really sunny days? :D

It's called a cover-up or more specifically, a swimsuit cover-up. :rolleyes:

They sell them everywhere, even Wally World! Here's how it goes: You put on your swim suit in your cabin. You put on your sunscreen in your cabin as it should be applied 20 to 30 minutes before you go in the sun. You put on your swim suit cover-up and your shoes (Kinos if you have them, in which case you should be smart enough to know all this and are just yanking my chain!), now you are ready to go to the pool! Get your towels from the pool butler, put one down, yes, I know the chairs have pads, but you should put a towel on the pad before you put parts of your body which are naked on it, just common courtesy. When you are ready to leave, please wait until you are no longer dripping, put your cover-up on, carry your towels to the dirty towel bin, do a minor police job of your area to make sure you have everything and go back to your cabin. Note that nowhere above did I mention a bathrobe as you were not taking a bath!! :)

OK, so what is a guy coverup on an M class ship? Up here in Oregon and out in the sticks where we live a coverup is a swimsuit:D compared to what we would normaly wear. :eek: Sweats? Loose fitting big shirt? What about a silk kamono type robe? I have ruled out my frette robe with or without a warning tag... Appreciate all the help on this do or die important issue folks!

Kevin

Archived