Why Is The Coffee So Bad?

part of the problem was that your DW asked for "expresso"... had she asked for espresso... you probably would have gotten a nice 2 oz pour... which is what espresso is... and it's damned tasty too! For the money, they have a suitable espresso roast for my taste...

heheheh...Yeah, I don't think she said it either way to be truthful.

LOL...it is spelled EX, but I, like you call it, ESpresso....

Maybe they are stupid!!!!!!:D

Either way....I guess rather than a rock and a hard place, I am between a plastic Starbucks 'gomug' and a "Pity Espresso"

:cool:

Oops I saw someone already answered the Wawa question before I got to it. :p Although it was never a gas station around here until recently, it was just convenience stores. Cheapest gas around, though!!!

I never saw it spelled EXpresso, I only see it Espresso. :confused:

I never saw it spelled EXpresso, I only see it Espresso. :confused:

That's cause you guys live in places that KNOW what it is...in our part of the country we have to have it spelled out so we can mispronounce it...

EXAMPLE....wash...warsh ---- gosh.....garsh

:D:D:D:D

That's cause you guys live in places that KNOW what it is...in our part of the country we have to have it spelled out so we can mispronounce it...

EXAMPLE....wash...warsh ---- gosh.....garsh

:D:D:D:D

Oh NOW I see!!!! ;)

So in restaurants where they type up their own menu, that's how they spell it, right?? lol

I don't drink coffee, but DH is a coffee snob and the nicest thing he could come up with to describe the coffee on any cruise we've been on is "sucks." :) He feels slightly warmer about the specialty drinks at the coffee cafe!

Sam :D

With enough Whiskey, even the worst coffee can give you that nice warm feeling inside.

Personally I'd switch to bringing my own coffee or tea on ships that serve only Starbucks. Truly believe the company serves over priced coffee to consumers who don't know that you can get a good cup of coffee at a much lower price.

AMEN!!!

I enjoy a good cup of coffee and remember brewing it and serving it to diner customers years ago as a waitress. We charged 5 - 10 cents a cup with 1 refill free. When companies like Starbucks and other coffee specialty companies came on the scene the coffee serving cup got much larger and the price skyrocketed.

They have to charge $8 a cup to cover the cost of, 1/2cup cream, 1/4 sugar, 3 squirts carmel syrup, whipped cream and chocolate shavings, all added to mask the poor flavor of the actual coffee.

yah shure...you betcha...cuz yor onda rite track now....:p

LOL! :p

They have to charge $8 a cup to cover the cost of, 1/2cup cream, 1/4 sugar, 3 squirts carmel syrup, whipped cream and chocolate shavings, all added to mask the poor flavor of the actual coffee.

Hahahaha!!! Probably VERY true, because their regular coffee certainly isn't anything to write home about.

AMEN!!!

Hey John! Now you went and did it! I'll have to keep DH from reading this post, or he'll know my secret for masking the taste of the dinners I cook. :cool:

I said this and I think the syrup junk is a far cry from Folgers/Maxwell House/whatever you buy in the supermarket. I plainly stated I am not a coffee snob and have never had starbucks as I will be darned if I pay 6 dollars for a cup of coffee. I don't care for Dunkin' Donuts coffee either, I guess I am a coffee redneck or something.:eek:

I may try the french press thing and bring my Folgers with me. :p To each his own.

Why not try some fresh ground coffee instead of the stuff you get in cans? Or, you can usually get beans right next to the canned coffee, grinders are pretty cheap, or just grind it right there in the store if there is a grinder available. I don't think a person has to be a snob about anything to be able to taste the difference.

I hope I didn't offend you, if I did it was not intentional, I guess I've just steered away from canned coffee for so many years, when I do taste it I find it totally unpallatable. I don't go to Starbucks and spend a lot on coffee myself, I think it's crazy when you can make it yourself at home for the entire week for what you would spend in a couple of days at Starbucks.

The same thing with soups for me, too. I see people having canned soup at work in the lunch room and I can almost taste the vast amount of sodium from across the room, it makes my tongue curl up :p . I make fresh soup at home, a world of difference.

But, I do think the person who mentioned we all get accustomed to what we drink at home hit the nail on the head. It's like wine, the best one is the one you like, regardless of the label or the cost. I love my coffee and I take my own to work in a thermos, I won't touch the stuff that they have on the burner for hours. I drink so much that I brew it half reg/half decaf, so I don't have jitters all day. I use either a French or Italian roast, the decaf is espresso. It would probably too strong for a lot of you, but I can't wait for the first cup in the morning :) .

Why not try some fresh ground coffee instead of the stuff you get in cans? Or, you can usually get beans right next to the canned coffee, grinders are pretty cheap, or just grind it right there in the store if there is a grinder available. I don't think a person has to be a snob about anything to be able to taste the difference.

I hope I didn't offend you, if I did it was not intentional,

:)...Obvioulsly, you have not been to the Wallcarp in my little berg....the dang grinder is usually plugged with gawd nose wat!!!:rolleyes:

Otherwise, I agree...depends on my day what I can taste or not taste.

Give me my Mountain Grown! :)

You said it!! :D :D :D

Hey...btw...The coffee was really bad in the WJ last cruise, but the cafe promenade coffee was pretty good. Was it my imagination? Who else found it to be okay?

The cafe promenade coffee is Seattle's Best coffee which is owned by our beloved Starbucks. That is why it is so good.

Speaking of Espresso vs. Expresso, I love it when coffee places state they have Columbian coffee. Didn't know Missouri was known for their coffee beans.

I wouldn't put a Frappuccino in my system... I see the ingredients... nothing that is found in nature is found in a Frappuccino...

The Starbucks version of the Frosty, another drink not fit for human consumption.

... because I have been known to mess with the drinks of overly rude customers... most of them have no idea what they are drinking anyway, so when you mess it up, they hardly notice...

I think that is the point of all the Starbucks bashing

The cafe promenade coffee is Seattle's Best coffee which is owned by our beloved Starbucks. That is why it is so good.

Speaking of Espresso vs. Expresso, I love it when coffee places state they have Columbian coffee. Didn't know Missouri was known for their coffee beans.

Don't forget about Kona coffee. Our freinds from Kaui brought some for us last time they were out, but hubby wasn't a fan.

Can you imagine the global economic ramifications if Starbucks bought Wawa and suddenly you could get you coffee fix AND your gasoline fix at the SAME PLACE?!??!?!? :eek: :eek:

Come on, you knowStarbucks would never invest a dime into the petrolium industry.

I hope I didn't offend you, if I did it was not intentional, I guess I've just steered away from canned coffee for so many years, when I do taste it I find it totally unpallatable. I don't go to Starbucks and spend a lot on coffee myself, I think it's crazy when you can make it yourself at home for the entire week for what you would spend in a couple of days at Starbucks.

The same thing with soups for me, too. I see people having canned soup at work in the lunch room and I can almost taste the vast amount of sodium from across the room, it makes my tongue curl up :p . I make fresh soup at home, a world of difference.

But, I do think the person who mentioned we all get accustomed to what we drink at home hit the nail on the head. It's like wine, the best one is the one you like, regardless of the label or the cost. I love my coffee and I take my own to work in a thermos, I won't touch the stuff that they have on the burner for hours. I drink so much that I brew it half reg/half decaf, so I don't have jitters all day. I use either a French or Italian roast, the decaf is espresso. It would probably too strong for a lot of you, but I can't wait for the first cup in the morning :) .

No offense taken, but I am new to coffee drinking (have only been drinking for about 2 years) so I guess I have not tried enough to know better. I am the only one who drinks it at home (DH won't touch it) so, I don't go crazy with it. And since I have to pinch pennies to support my cruise addicition:D , I go with the canned stuff. Works for me just fine. Besides, after my morning run at 5:30 am, anything will work.

I hear ya about the soup. I so rarely eat canned soup due to the sodium.

Happy cruising and coffee drinking to everyone!!!

I haven't read through all 143 posts on this, but the OP reminded me of a comment I left on my last RCCL cruise.

Every McDonald's in my town has half-n-half creamer, but my cruise ship served some "non dairy" liquid and then eventually those awful powdered things. Hopefully enough people complained so that they have real creamer on board when I sail next time.

Archived