What do you think about an obstructed view?

Jennyyl

I just booked a cruise for this Saturday on the Dawn. All they had left was an oceanview guaranteed. I see that I was assigned a room....it's an obstructed picture window (lifeboat). Am I going to be able to see outside at all?

Yes, Jenny. You'll have a little peek out the window ... how much of a peek depends on the actual cabin. You just won't be able to take an unobstructed photo out the window ...

Enjoy. Last minute cruises are FUN!

I just checked the website and it told me it's 90% obstructed. Originally I was guaranteed a H porthole....not I'm in a G 90% obstructed. I'm not sure how that is an upgrade? What would you do? Would you call to try and change.

At least it is daylight and will give you the sense of having an open space. We were on a very old ship the Britanis, built in the 30's and we had a very small port hole in the front of the cabin. You had to be 7 foot tall to see out of the window without a chair. But it was a window....:)

I just checked the website and it told me it's 90% obstructed. Originally I was guaranteed a H porthole....not I'm in a G 90% obstructed. I'm not sure how that is an upgrade? What would you do? Would you call to try and change.

I'm not sure you can request a change if you booked a gty cabin, but maybe someone will know more about it. :)

I'm not sure you can request a change if you booked a gty cabin, but maybe someone will know more about it. :)

That's an interesting question. Have always believed that booking a guarantee is affirming you'll accept what you're given. Has anyone tried changing a guarantee cabin assignment?

we were on the jewel in March and booked a GTY Ocean View. We were assigned 100% obstructed by a lifeboat. I called and complained and to begin with they did not budge. I was very calm and explained that I thought it was false advertising as a guarentee ocean view was not what I was being given. If it was 100% obstucted where was the Ocean view. After a while I told them I would rather have an inside cabin or pay extra for a sea view than what I was assigned. Still no joy. So I told them I would cancel. Then I got a response I liked. I was moved to deck four Porthole, which I accepted. Two weeks later the upsell desk called and offered me a balcony on deck 10 for $300 which of course I took. It pays to be persistant. We had a super vacation hope you do too.

We've had two OV cabins. The first on the Star, was good. We had a nice view, but so the the crew member working outside our window! The other, on the Dream, was great. The window had a nice ledge and could almost be used as a window seat. That cabin had a small sitting area by the window. Some OV's, however, have the beds on that wall, virtually blocking access to the window.

Archived