Which river cruise company is the best?

paradise0513

paradise,

As Paul said this is subjective. In fact all the major cruise companies plying the US market (Avalon, Amadeus, GCT, Uniword, Viking, Vantage...) are playing in the same league and I would rate them 3+ to 4 stars. Then you have the two more upscale ones: Deilmann and River Cloud (Sea Cloud) (both are really 5 star).

You can find positives and negatives on this board about nearly every company. It´s all depending on what you rate higher. Currently Amadeus might have a problem with the quality of the food (but I´m quite sure they are working on that and it´ll be totally different in 2008). GCT had some complaints about handling things. The same was with Uniworld. On a full ship you´ll always find someone who´s not pleased with something. But in general you can say there is no really bad company out there.

My all time advice: First compare all the itineraries (some vary a bit regarding shore stops and port times) and choose your favorite. Then compare the amenities (some offer free wine/beer for dinner, some do have WiFi - depends on your needs what you prefer). And then choose the company which fits your needs best. This is valid for the US cruise companies plying the European rivers.

Make your choice!

steamboats

Tauck and Intrav have excellent river cruises and have increased and improved the experience, service and food. There have been lots of problems with the major river cruise lines in the last couple of years. Tauck and Intrav have paid attention to these complaints and addressed the issues, and quietly moved to the forefront of river cruising. The Tauck river cruise is as good as their land tours.

Deilmann does an excellent river cruise, many with themes, such as biking, gardens and classical music - they are European/German and so your river cruise feels like you've been immersed in Europe instead of America on a Europe river. Food is excellent on Deilmann.

Best Regards,

Julia

Blog: spasandadventures.wordpress.com

That is how I picked my cruise to Panama. I ended on Princess, because of the itinerary. I will pick the river cruise the same way. I tend to not have problems with the things I here complaints about. Princess was good and I would travel with them again if they went where I wanted to go. They were not as good as Celebrity in some things, but It was comfortable. I just am worring about making a wrong choice and being disappointed.

Archived