Westbound viewing NYC

colemonster

It is well worth the loss of sleep. There are few other ports with the impact of NYC from a liner. When I was much younger on QE2, we just stayed up. Dawn in a tuxedo after last night parties. Great fun till you sober up in an airplane. As Archie Bunker sang: "Those were the days".

Jim.

I was afraid of that! Oh well, guess we won't see the skyline, bummer!

New York City is beautiful in the dark. You won't feel as if you're missing a thing, except sleep. Not to mention there's going under the Verrazano Bridge you will want to be up for initially. ;)

New York City is beautiful in the dark. You won't feel as if you're missing a thing, except sleep. Not to mention there's going under the Verrazano Bridge you will want to be up for initially. ;)

I watched the Verrazano being built, have sailed under it already BUT never on the QM2......name a time someone, so I know when to get up....please!

:eek:

On our late May arrival into NYC, the Captain, as well as the program, kept us informed as to the arrival time at the Bridge and the Statue.

At that time of year, it was near 5:30 a.m. for the Statue, I remember.

One word of caution: we were disappointed early that arrival morning, as we, sleepy-eyed, looked for coffee to take with us on deck. Since there is no room service that morning, we headed for the King's Court. We went to two coffee stations; both were out of coffee. I settled for hot chocolate because I didn't want to miss seeing the statue. Cunard should have known better!!!!

I'd order room service coffee the night before...and let it sit in my cabin.

But don't miss this opportunity....

Pincus

Hi, we are on the westbound TA on 8-9-07. I am very interested in not missing the NYC skyline view. Does anyone know approximately what time one would have to be out on deck to see the city as we arrive? Thanks!

Thank you for all the replies. We can handle 5:30 am, we should be rested up from the crossing anyway. We can sleep on the flight home.

I heard that during this most recent crossing they went under the bridge at around 4:30.

Hi colemonster, you will have a great time, just get up early. Thought I'd post a couple of pics for you.

Haven't been on the board much lately, been my busy time at work (got to pay for the cruises some way!).

This was Summer July 2005 (weather not great unfortunately)

20050717-IMG_8942.jpg

20050717-IMG_8937.jpg

Then very cold weather in January 2005 returning from the Caribbean, but still worth getting up early.

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

Again January 2008 I shall be trying to improve on the photos (beating the cold weather, trying to keep the hands still). Possibly feel a 2008 July Transatlantic cruise coming on again, the best chance of good weather and better photos.

'colemonster' Have a great time :D

Andrew

(ps) Every time we set the alarm to wake us both, it's easy to miss it.

Soblue--beautiful pictures! Now the OP knows we're not just telling tales to get him up at ungodly hours. :p

One of my boys wanted me to ask you what camera setting(s) you used to get the especially neat under-the-bridge pix.

My apologies for the reply, has some PC trouble!

Thanks for the compliments Paul, Hobie, Angie, DocM3 and colemonster.

Angie checked the camera settings for your son for the photo under the ‘Verrazano Bridge’

I bumped up the ISO sensitivity to 1000 (normal day time photos usually use around 100 mark), this making the sensor more sensitive to the small amount of light that was available.

The first one I took back in July 2005 with much warmer weather, but then, it was misty and there was no light from QM2 the funnel, which is needed. Hence the darker photo below

20050717-IMG_8900.jpg

As you can see the light helped on the QM2 funnel on the second attempt photo in Jan 2006

IMG_1643.jpg

Just to show you how cold it was, from the photos below you can see, there is nobody about. This January 2008, I got hopefully three attempts at increasing my quality of the shot. (Weather permitting of course).

IMG_1619.jpg

JUST NOTICED THE QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 thread. That’s a shock.

Just glad we book this (2007) last Christmas Cruise on her, I guess the last few places will now sale very quickly. Also next year cruises on her will also. Also glad I’m on the cruises with the three Queens in New York, looks like it will never happen again. It’s not often I’m in the right place at the right time.

Sad news.

Sorry, but I’m going to post these couple of photos!

20050416-IMG_4303.jpg

20050416-IMG_4283.jpg

I shall spent this Christmas getting the best shots I can of the Queen Elizabeth 2.

Andrew

Archived