What should you buy on a Cruise Ship?

How much are the Christmas ornaments?

I don't really recall, but they were quite reasonable or I wouldn't spend the money. We used to buy all the photos. Now we only buy one or two if they're good, or maybe none at all. We also treat ourselves to one night at the specialty restaurant if the ship has one. Always worth the money! The one thing I would NEVER waste my money on again is that gold and silver by the inch. Cheap stuff.

I do like to buy the expensive jewelry purchases in the islands b/c they are duty free. I saved $300 on my DH TAG HEUER watch I bought 2 years ago in St. Marteen at Little Switzerland. That is $300 off the price it was here in VA, plus no taxes. Big savings there!

I would not buy the gold by the Inch! Cheap! You should research what you are buying at home and know what a good deal really is. Whether it is perfume, Gold, diamonds, liquor, or those fake handbags. Cigarettes are always a bargain, if your a smoker or have friends who smoke. I buy 2 cartons on each cruise and they last me until the next one. I smoke very infrequently. I wish I had bought the Christmas ornament on the ship, but it was one of those things, i will come back and get it, and never did.

How much are the Christmas ornaments?

I have paid $8 and $10 depending on the ship and when in the cruise I bought it. I am going to wait until the end of the cruise this next cruise and see what price it is, I have read they discount things. I know I paid $10 for the one I bought the first night.

I always buy a pen or two with the ship's name on it. I take one to work and put one in my checkbook. It's nice to use something everyday that reminds me of vacation time. (There will be a free "carnival" pen in your room too).

I have paid $8 and $10 depending on the ship and when in the cruise I bought it. I am going to wait until the end of the cruise this next cruise and see what price it is, I have read they discount things. I know I paid $10 for the one I bought the first night.

I did not say but was referring to the little ship ornamnets.

I buy film processing if it's more convenient/timely than waiting till the end of the cruise. I might buy liquor at the duty-free shop if it's something I'd buy at home for the duty-free price or higher. I'll buy wine at dinner, if I like a selection offered, or an occasional drink at a bar (I DO NOT spend my entire cruise with a drink in hand!).

Other than that, I pretty much live by the "if-you-won't-buy-it-at-home-you-don't-need-it-at-cruiseship-prices" philosophy. It might make me a dull boy, but I'm never surprised by my S&S bill at the end of cruise, either.

The $10 items can be fun - if you need an evening bag or wrap, you can usually get something fun, and cheaper than at home too.

I agree! $10 evening bags, wraps or earring necklace sets were the best purchases on board!! (besides the drinks) I'm not sure if they are $10 the whole time or just the Saturday before debarkation.

Hubby and I were on the Pride in May on our HM and WE LOVE IT. You will have a good time! Also, try Randi happy horses in Mazatlan...it was fun and Randi was so nice to the "Honeymoon" couple. We didn't go on excursions in PV or Los Cabos but wish we had;0)

Hi, I am going on my first cruise in August for my honeymoon. We are going on the pride. Do you have any suggestions of things we should get on the ship?

Buy something, that no matter how silly, will constantly be a memento of all of the wonderful things you did on your cruise for your honeymoon. Make it a souvenir that will hold up over time - not a T-shirt - perhaps a model of the ship.

BnB

I once saw a tanzanite ring on a ship and I didn't buy it. I realized later that it really was a good price. I thought about it and thought about it but it was too late. Three years later on the same ship, low and behold the ring was still there and the same price. I bought it and love it. If you know your prices, the jewelry on the ship really is a good deal. I went over my duty free allowance by $100 but we worked it out and I didn't have to pay the tax.

Like other posters have said, liquor and cigarettes are really good prices.

the Bijoux Terner section of the gift shop, is THEEEEE best. Bags, Pashminas, and lovely costume jewelry including fun watches. I'm a BT junkie..I go every day to see what is newly stocked on the racks!

Can anyone tell me from memory what some of the liquor prices are? Would like to see what the difference is compared to stores in my area.

I only remember the Absolut and it was 9.95 per Litre....same price as I paid in St. Thomas.

Can anyone tell me from memory what some of the liquor prices are? Would like to see what the difference is compared to stores in my area.

The liquor prices are comparable to stores here BUT, here in the states the liquor is sold in 750ml, the bottles on the ship are full liters. So it's like getting 30% free. Plus no tax. Also some of the liquors like Sheridans I haven't seen here.

The liquor prices are comparable to stores here BUT, here in the states the liquor is sold in 750ml, the bottles on the ship are full liters. So it's like getting 30% free. Plus no tax. Also some of the liquors like Sheridans I haven't seen here.

I disagree....the liquor in the states are also sold in litres, and 1.75 litres and the prices on the ship are much much cheaper. Like I said in my previous post, the 1 litre bottle of Absolut on the ship was 9.95......on Fri I went to the liquor store by where I live to compare the prices and the same bottle of Absolut went for 23.99 plus sales tax so there was a major difference in price.

Sounds great, thanks for the info Sandi!

Is your cruise going to St. Thomas? If it is, you can bring back 5 bottles of liquor duty free p/p from there. Everywhere else they only allow you 1 bottle. Although the duty is very low...only about 10%.

Archived