Most Interesting Dinner Companions?

DoctorFeelgood

The first gentleman basically took over all conversation telling everyone how he was from San Francisco and therefore knew all about wine and took the entire first evening of the cruise explaining how he was THE most popular guy in SF because when he got invited to a party he would bring between 2 and 4 bottles of "the best California wine around" and everyone loved him because of his wine knowledge. 2 hours later it turns out the wonderful wine he was talking about was $2 buck Chuck and all other wineries in California are just the same thing at over inflated prices. We changed tables for the next night.

Phew...for a minute I thought you were talking about me...:D But, a.) I don't remember anyone named Kim, and, b.) sorry to disillusion folks, but $2 Buck Chuck just proves the adage "you get what you pay for" (But Trader Joe's does carrry some drinkable wine for the princely sum of about $4.99....we call in "Wednesday Night wine" in my house....:p And besides, I'm not THAT popular!;)

We've had wonderful luck over the years, to the point that we've even won over our 'enemies.' I always tell the story of the table of 8 where four of us became fast friends (met on a cc rollcall and just happened to be at the same table) The other two couples were traveling together, and we had a WONDERFUL table location. After a few frosty exchanges, you could tell that each 'side' was hoping the other would leave, and then the second night, my partner, much to my embarrassment at the time, verbally took on the apparent leader of the other four, a woman with her very quiet husband (butter wouldn't melt in her mouth...). Ed's much more gregarious than I, but you could tell underneath his words was a none-too-veiled threat....It looked like it was going to be a WWF smackdown (albeit with words!) But somehow, with laughter, patience, and a little wine, the table mended, and we had a great 13 day cruise.....yes, at the end, tears, goodbyes, hugs, and even the leader telling my partner that he "made her cruise!":eek: Who knew....

Andrew

My most interesting dinner companion was Nick. He was a WW II vet who was in D-Day. For two nights everyone at the table received a wonderful history lesson from him. Nick was in his 80's and still cruising. I have to rank him as my best tablemate.

When I saw this thread, I immediately knew who I was going to write about. My DH and I were seated at a table for 8 with 2 very nice ladies from Canada, a couple from California and the financial lecturer on the ship and his charming wife. We had such a pleasant time. At someone's suggestion, we would change seats each night so we could all view the dining areas.

The only time we've ever changed tables was due to a group of 5 who spoke French. They were very nice people but we were limited in talking to just each other. If our communication skills had been better, we would have stayed at that table.

Again, great thread. Hi Kim.

Hi,

what a great thread. I also never experienced " bad" oder tablemates " from hell" . Always had a great time. I usually ask for a big table, it´s so interessting meeting different people from different countries. Some of my former tablemates are now close friends since years, with reunion cruises and visits visa verse!

I remember one " Lady" on our table, we were five and had a reunion cruise and naturally were sitting together again. She showed up late every evening -5 to 25 minutes ( which, in my opinion, is plain rude ), made a fuss out of every arriveing at the table. Where always in a rush, hury hury. She told endlos storries about her " adventures" with crew members ( male of course) By the way, I did not believe a single word, she was telling!

Greetings

Michael

Archived