Scared of Transatlantic Waters in January!!

Ballater

My husband thinks we're crazy to book a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 in early January. I say "Let's give it a try...we've had five sailings with calm waters; one of these days our luck will run out, and we'll be on some turbulent waters."

Any thoughts? Should we give it a try? Have sailed on the Caronia once and the QM2 four times. Feel that we just have to sail on the QE2 before the option is no longer available...

My husband thinks we're crazy to book a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 in early January. I say "Let's give it a try...we've had five sailings with calm waters; one of these days our luck will run out, and we'll be on some turbulent waters."

Any thoughts? Should we give it a try? Have sailed on the Caronia once and the QM2 four times. Feel that we just have to sail on the QE2 before the option is no longer available...

It can be rough - the first three days of January 2007 crossing was a tad rough but I have been on just as rough in warm days. Our September 1999 crossing was violent. But the only thing you really miss is alot of outside time since it usually so chilly/windy for any prolonged exposure. But usually not too bad. Unless you can't stand any movement at all you should do ok.

Well the most important reason to sail on the WCC is that you can join all of the fine friends that make the trip. That in and of itself is worth putting up with any minor inconveniences like 50 foot waves periodically. As long as you don't make Peter's martinis with too much vermouth...:D

My husband thinks we're crazy to book a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 in early January.

If you've got the chance to do it then you'd be crazy not to. If you are lucky enough to get rough (or worse) weather then look forward to it:) The ship was built to handle it.

Late December 2003 was rough. Cabin steward got seasick. Room service dishes fell onto the deck and broke. Anti-seasick pills consumed like popcorn. Dining room not crowded. Thoroughly enjoyable. <g>

Late December 2003 was rough. Cabin steward got seasick. Room service dishes fell onto the deck and broke. Anti-seasick pills consumed like popcorn. Dining room not crowded. Thoroughly enjoyable. <g>

Sounds like my crossing in 2000, cafeteria was closed due to flying trays. Some beds were drowned at 2am by ice buckets sliding off the bedside tables but everyone took it in good part, once "those who needed" took the pills.

I would not worry about the weather. My first time on a ship was crossing the Atlantic in February (when I was 9 years old), and we had no problem at all. The QE2 is a wonderful ship and I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what the weather is!

Bon Voyage!

Archived