Mediterranean in October and Walking Shoes

suntanzi

Hi there

I am curious what weather you have experienced in October in Barcelona and on the French and Italian Riviera. Do any of you have clothes from travel companies like Magellan? Also, I need suggestions for comfortable walking shoes that aren't ugly (I know this is a personal description, don't be offended if these are your favorite shoes, but by that I mean Reeboks and the like)

Thanks for your opinions!

I'm going to the Med. in Oct. next year and am having the same questions. If you receive Frommers newsletter, there was a great discussion on this very subject last Friday, Aug. 13.. It was titled "Best Shoes Ever". If you go the website, you can find the newsletters. My problem is I have very long (size 12) and narrow feet, so there aren't as many shoes to choose from.

Anne

I brought a few pairs of Four Way Sandals which originally were made by Aerosoles but can also be found in JC Penney. For the Med, black or tan are great colors to mix & match. I have a Travel Smith pair of black chino slacks and a black knit long sleevless dress that has a long sleeve jacket to match. This dress was great for Europe and touring the many Cathedrals where you must be dressed presesntably. Also, "rest rooms" are or can be different in Europe, so slacks or capri's could be a problem. Bring a light jacket in a back pack to ward of airconditioning or cool breezes.

bon Voyage

Ladies, the "nicest" and most descreate way I can explain it is the Urinal is like a hole in the floor! Hope you can picture this. We don't know how good we have it. This was encountered at a modern gas station rest stop and at a rest room location in Monte Carlo, so it was not in the boom docks!

Suntanzi,

Hogan makes comfortable walking shoes. Personally, I prefer their sandals to their shoes, but they're known for comfort. Lots of styles and colors, always comfortable. Most of the big dept stores sell them and Hogan has their own stores in major cities. Also, Prada and Stuart Weitzman make comfortable walking shoes. My Prada sandals were so comfortable all though Spain, Portugal in rain and dirt and still look as good as the day I bought them. All these brands can be purchased on the website http://www.styledrops.com

Re: Toilets in Europe. Many of the public toilets in Europe are still the old style. There's a hole in the floor and usually an indentation on each side for each foot. Might take one or two uses to get used to it, but it's actually a lot more sanitary. Sometimes the flusher is a chain dangling above you, so look around for it. And no, you won't need to take your pants off completely to use them. Promise!

Jane

I got some all-weather mocs from Lands End. They are a bit clunky, but they are incredibly comfortable & water-resistant. And only cost $29.50.

We only encountered conventional "facilities" during our cruise. I guess you just have to know where to go! :p

-Jean

Will you get time to shop in Barcelona?

Spain has the most fantastic shoe stores...you will be spoiled for choice!

Weather in October...mid sixties to early 70's in early October, changeable weather so a light rain proof jacket might be advisable. On the other hand you can get brilliant sunshine..its just a "never can tell" with the Med in October. France will be cooler. Late October brings the rain really especially in Northern Spain and France.

Well..its been a LONG time since I saw the "hole in the floor" toilets...in fact, dont think I have seen one since the early 80's. More so in France than Spain. Its the Greek toilet system I hate most...yuk! Don't worry, you will find it every bit as civilised as home although I have to admit, the first time I came across an automatic flusher in FL I thought there was ghost in the loo!

Archived