Embarcation Day Suggestions

Mr. Boston

I am surprising my partner with a southern Caribbean cruise on Summit next February. We will be in a concierge class stateroom. The occasion is his 50th birthday which actually falls on embarcation day. We've never cruised with Celebrity and we've never left port so late on a cruise before (11pm). I really want the day to be special for him even though it will be embarcation day. I would really appreciate any suggestions for things to do on the ship that afternoon and evening. Does the Normandie restaurant usually serve dinner that evening?

We will be arriving in San Juan three days prior to the cruise so we will have already gone to nice dinners in the city etc. What I am interested in are shipboard suggestions.

I look forward to your replies as I know you're a very creative bunch! :)

I would definitely book the Normandie for that evening. There are not a lot of people and because you're leaving so late, dining is open seating so it's not like you would be seating with your waiter or the other guests at the table.

Exploring the ship and making appointments at the spa should be included in things to do. I'd also check with the maitre d' to make sure that your dining assignment is correct.

Check Celebrity's website for bon voyage type items - wine, spirits,etc. There will be champagne and a fresh fruit basket in your cabin when you arrive. Perhaps something special off the room service menu? If you can steal some time away from him (partner), can you ask the steward to place a card or gift (that you've given to the steward on the sly) in the cabin so partner sees it after dinner?

Very thoughtful of you! Hope your cruise is wonderful...February won't come soon enough!

Mr. Boston ~ HOW WONDERFUL !!!! I love surprises like this. I'll post some things now but I'll consider to dream up some ideas.

Since you are not yet a Captain's Club member (they can pre-arrange dinner reservations in Normandie prior to arriving at the ship), I'd ask your TA if they can assist you in making a reservation for that evening. I'm guessing it won't be too crowded that night since you depart so late from port. Does your partner have a favorite dessert? I'd ask your travel agent to convey that to Normandie if you dine there. If your TA can't do either of those, I'd make a beeline to Normandie when you board and speak to the Maitre 'D. Ask them to help you make the night special (in fact, even if your TA can pre-arrange a reservation, go to Normandie and confirm the details). I find when you ask for assistance for things like this, the crew loves to help you out.

I like the idea of doing something in the spa together that day, too (if you are spa folks). What a relaxing way to start the celebration.

If there is an opening show that night (I haven't left late from San Juan in years so I'm not sure what they do the first night) see if you can't find the Cruise Director before you sail and ask them if they would mind acknowledging your partner's 50th birthday from stage? They may not want to do that, but a lot of CD's are fun people and might do it. Once it's announced from stage, everyone will be wishing your partner a Happy 50th all cruise long :) !

I'm not sure if the ship photographers will be taking photos that night, but a nice photo of the two of you would make a great momento of the occasion. You could probably arrange it by speaking with someone in the photo gallery when you board.

I think you are going to have to find some time upon boarding to "sneak" away to get some things coordinate.

I'll keep thinking!

OH...I think you can pre-arrange to have your cabin decorated if you like that kind of thing......

Great surprise! And the ideas offered are terrific. When we did this trip last year there was a short welcome show in the theatre that night -- even though the big draw were the NFL playoffs in the bar at the edge.

If you do decide to eat at the specialty that evening (which is a great idea) you need to remember that there will be a required muster drill just before sailing. I'd hate to think your speciial meal would be disrupted mid-course by that. Just schedule it around 7 and you'll be fine!

Have a wonderful time.

...ideas!!! I knew that this crowd would come through. I love the idea of the specialty restaurant but would have never factored the muster drill in. And the spa that day - what a great idea. Thank-you very much.

judyfssw-even though I live in Boston I'm originally from Sterling Heights and have a sister in Royal Oak. It's nice to hear from a Michigander.

;)

One more thing, the Normandie on the first night will not be a problem at 7:00 as the muster drill begins at 10:25 which is plenty of time to eat. We did not have a problem eating and then doing the muster.

One more thing, the Normandie on the first night will not be a problem at 7:00 as the muster drill begins at 10:25 which is plenty of time to eat. We did not have a problem eating and then doing the muster.

They do vary the muster drill on different cruises. We took the Galaxy last Feb. out of San Juan. On prior cruises they had done the muster drill around 8 or 8:15 in between the dinner seatings, but on our cruise, and I believe on subsequent cruises, they switched it to the following morning as the first day on our cruise was a sea day. So time can vary.

But I agree that, especially on a San Juan cruising where the first night is open seating, that the Normandy might be a good idea for a special night. Check with the person manning the desk in the Normandy, in person, soon after you board, to make a reservation (or confirm one) and to make sure it works with the muster drill session. Make sure they know the day is special. These waiters always make our dinners there special, and especially so if you treat them with respect and let them know the evening is special to you.

Archived