Touring Ellis Island

emmy

Hello.. will be sailing on Explorer in April 2008 out of Bayonne. One of my must sees is Ellis Island. My question is how much time should I set aside to tour this museum and to make sure I enjoy it to the fullest.

Is there a time of day that is busier?

I understand there is an audio tour...is this the best way to enjoy Ellis Island?

I'm not sure what is the best way to tour the island (audio or not), but a good four hours for getting there, getting back, and touring is needed. They have a film there as well. I'm sure a weekend day is busier than during the week but as far as time of day, I'm not sure what is busiest. Once you get there, you can decided how you want to tour the island. It is worth not rushing through.

I'm not sure what is the best way to tour the island (audio or not), but a good four hours for getting there, getting back, and touring is needed. They have a film there as well. I'm sure a weekend day is busier than during the week but as far as time of day, I'm not sure what is busiest. Once you get there, you can decided how you want to tour the island. It is worth not rushing through.

Thanks for you info.. I certainly want to make sure I absorb everything about this place.. thanks for including the time there and back. We are hoping to be staying in Jersey City either Hyatt or Doubletree.. is the ferry over there close by?

I went to Ellis Island and Liberty Island on a Saturday. The line was long, but it wasn't that long. We waited about 25 minutes to get through security, then the boat ride to Liberty Island, then see the statue, then we ate by the statue of liberty, then 5 mintues line to go to Ellis Island, then boat ride to Ellis Island, then tour the museum (very cool) then we hopped right on the ferry with no line at all (we were the last ones to board), then boat ride back to NYC, then we shopped at Battery Park. So plan 3-4 hours for this. It is a very cool experience.

Thanks for you info.. I certainly want to make sure I absorb everything about this place.. thanks for including the time there and back. We are hoping to be staying in Jersey City either Hyatt or Doubletree.. is the ferry over there close by?

If you are sightseeing in NYC stay in NYC and not in New Jersey and reason being is that November is peak season and Jersey City hotels aren't going to save you that much money.

Plan on getting there very early and the entire experience will take you around four hours. It is a really moving and interesting thing to do.

If you are sightseeing in NYC stay in NYC and not in New Jersey and reason being is that November is peak season and Jersey City hotels aren't going to save you that much money.

Plan on getting there very early and the entire experience will take you around four hours. It is a really moving and interesting thing to do.

Okay we will be there in late April.. did you mean to type April? Did not know November would be peak season...

Okay we will be there in late April.. did you mean to type April? Did not know November would be peak season...

Hi Emmy, yes, November is peak season and for some reason I thought you were going to be in New York City in November. Peak season starts right after Labor Day (September 3) and runs through New Years Day.

When in April? The weeks before and after Easter and Passover are high season for tourists but the huge convention and conference season starts up as soon as that is over.

Hotel prices in Manhattan average $240 per night which is spilling out to the outerlying areas and deals in places like Jersey City aren't such great deals anymore when you factor in commute time and convenience.

I would really take my time and try and find a Manhattan hotel for your April stay.

Some hotels I like which are moderately priced:

Apple Core Hotels (Comfort Inn, Super 8, La Quinta, Red Roof, Ramada) http://www.applecorehotels.com/

Milford Plaza http://www.milfordplaza.com/

New York Salisbury http://www.nycsalisbury.com/rates.html

Radio City Apartments http://www.radiocityapts.com/

The Affinia Group (Dumont, Eastgate, Shelburne but ignore Benjamin and Surrey) http://www.affinia.com/

When in April? The weeks before and after Easter and Passover are high season for tourists but the huge convention and conference season starts up as soon as that is over.

Looking at the dates for check in April 22 and check out April 25.. Explorer of the Seas sails on the 25th. These are mid week dates

Will check out those downtown hotels.

Go to hotels.com and check out any of the Affinia properties. I got a really good deal, when I went I think 6-10 pages back. It was way back because it was not under the low price guarantee, which was not big deal. It means that you do not pre pay on the website, you just pay a 5.00 charge. the Affinia properties are the Affinia Manhattan, Affinia Dumont (I stayed here, I give my recommendation, contact for more information), Affinia 50, and Affinia Gardens. All very nice. Affinia Dumont is rated #5, and Affinia Manhattan in the 20s. All Are rated in the top 50. (all on tripadvisor). Check out hotels.com for really good NYC deals.

Didn't cruise out of NJ, but stayed there during a NYC visit (stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in the Newport/Jersey City area). Very convenient location and very nice hotel. The light rail is across the street that takes you to Liberty Park where you can go to Ellis Island, then SOL. You can purchase tickets ahead of time thru the Circle Line site. They tell you to get there a couple hours ahead of time to get thru security. Just book an early trip and you won't have to get there too early. One hint...at the Liberty Park light rail stop. There is a bus that'll pick you up at the station and drive you to the terminal. We didn't know this and walked a bit of a distance (not too far, but it seemed like it). All in all, we were at Ellis Island for about 3.5hrs...that includes our time we spent to eat there.

Go to hotels.com and check out any of the Affinia properties. I got a really good deal, when I went I think 6-10 pages back. It was way back because it was not under the low price guarantee, which was not big deal. It means that you do not pre pay on the website, you just pay a 5.00 charge. the Affinia properties are the Affinia Manhattan, Affinia Dumont (I stayed here, I give my recommendation, contact for more information), Affinia 50, and Affinia Gardens. All very nice. Affinia Dumont is rated #5, and Affinia Manhattan in the 20s. All Are rated in the top 50. (all on tripadvisor). Check out hotels.com for really good NYC deals.

Am I too far out to get a good deal? we are not going to be there for another 10 months.. I will have a look..thanks for the info

Archived