Cruise only??

CathyG

If we only did the cruise portion would we really be disappointed? Also, when it says, sailing inside passage, what exactly do you see.
Thanks for helping us make a decision.
Cathy

Cathy,

I have yet to do a land vacation and have only done cruises to Alaska. My last cruise to Alaska was the best cruise I have ever taken. What you see on a cruise is absolutely gorgeous.

I am sure if you take a cruise only trip, that you will want to return and at that time, you can add the land vacation.

Coral,thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me what line you were on, what your itinerary was, what month you went and how the weather was. I just have all kinds of questions don't I. Thanks, Cathy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CathyG:
If we only did the cruise portion would we really be disappointed? Also, when it says, sailing inside passage, what exactly do you see.
Thanks for helping us make a decision.
Cathy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No you would not be disappointed if you only sail the Inside Passage. The touring adds a lot to the experience but many (for a variety of personal reasons) don't do the land tour.. I actually don't know anyone who has been "disappointed" in Alaska. Inside Passage means departing from Vancouver or Seattle (for7 night cruises) and sailing up the coastline of British Columbia and Alaska to ports and cruising Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm and then returning to Vancouver or Seattle. Most ships sail through British Columbia's Inside Passage one way and "out to sea" on the return leg i.e. not as scenic. This varies and somewhere on this jumbled board is an explanation of which is which. Cruise line itins often have maps that show which route ship will take. My favorite time to cruise Alaska is late May/early June. Weather is always unpredictable. One thing to consider is port times.. check cruise line websites or brochures for times.. the longer the calls the better. IMHO only the ports you really want to have a long call in are Juneau and Sitka. Most ships spend 9-12 hours in Skagway anyway, but the times for Juneau and Sitka vary.. Early a.m. arrival in Juneau is better too especially if you go later in the season when days are shorter.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

We will take our fourth inside passage cruise to Alaska on Princess in a couple of weeks. We have never done land portion, as it adds so much to the cost..the cruise, found at bargains on the internet, is far more worth it. I haven't really seen any bargains for land portions. You get a good taste of this part of the world on the cruise only, in my opinion. All meals and entertainment are included. If you dont go overboard on the excursions (and you dont gamble or drink in excess), it can be a very economical way to vacation. It is also a very romantic place to cruise (the colder weather makes for more snuggling..not to mention hot tubbing as the snowflakes drift down at 2 in the morning).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If we only did the cruise portion would we really be disappointed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I seriously doubt that. Keep in mind that the trip along the coast can be very, very foggy and you might not see much at all.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You get a good taste of this part of the world on the cruise only, in my opinion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In my opinion, you will not experience the "true" Alaska unless you see the interior also. It is not the snow capped mountains that one expects but does have its own beauty. After saying that I found the coast to be the most beautiful after Denali when the mountain is in clear view and up close.

Future cruises:
May 04 Amsterdam
Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2
Jan. 05 Diamond Princess
July 05 Star Princess
Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:
04 Dawn Princess x 2
03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,
Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess
01 Ryndam x 2
00 Sky Princess
79 Sitmar's Fairwind

My mother and step-father went for a week on land before getting on a HAL ship. They loved the cruise part--so much so that they recommended we book an Alaskan cruise even though we were not able to take time off from work to tour the interior. We went on a Princess cruise that was roundtrip from Seattle. It was great. I plan to go back to see part of the interior on our own. I don't think I'd like to do it with a group.

There are many ways to go. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But most Seattle sailings do NOT sail inside Vancouver Island and that would be my preference. A round trip Vancouver cruise packs a LOT into 7 days- every day offers something. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] With a one way- consider in/out Seward and spend the day there touring. Have a cruise that includes College Fjords. I have to disagree- you can go very reasonable interior and have an excellent time. You just have to know how. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] So NO you won't be disappointed unless you want to be. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm parcial to the interior since that is where I live and was born and raised (in Fairbanks/North Pole) so I'd say you should not miss the interior if you can afford it. There is a lot of history that is really interesting up here and lots of animals to see, plus Denali is on the land portion of the tour and you get to see Mt.McKinley up close, which is awsome, even for me and I see the Alaska Range almost everyday on my way home from work.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
9/04 Pride Second Anniversary, First Honeymoon!

Archived