Fly By Train vs. Gatwick Express

I noticed there's a Fly By Train online booking service between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport. It claims to be 6 GBP cheaper than Gatwick Express and just has fast. Does anyone know if this is a reliable alternative to the Gatwick Express?

This route makes a few (but only a few) stops along the way. Also, the cars are not designed to handle as much luggage as the Express. Those are both minor problems. I have taken both this route and the Express. It has made very little difference to me.

Paul

I noticed there's a Fly By Train online booking service between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport. It claims to be 6 GBP cheaper than Gatwick Express and just has fast. Does anyone know if this is a reliable alternative to the Gatwick Express?
FlyByTrain is simply a promotion by Southern Railway, which is a competing train company on the route between London and Gatwick airport. Their fares are cheaper than the Gatwick Express, and this has long been promoted by people as a more economical method of getting between London and Gatwick by train.

But IMHO it is not a good service for people who are arriving at Gatwick with luggage. Southern basically runs commuter trains. If you buy a ticket from Southern Railway, you just get on one of those - there's nothing special about FlyByTrain in that respect. The trains do not start or end at Gatwick, so only stop for a couple of minutes there. The carriages are not really designed for luggage. And when most flights from the US arrive in the early morning, the trains can be packed with commuters - commuters often have to stand for the entire hour-long trip between Brighton and London - which could make it a difficult journey even if you can get onto the train.

In contrast, the Gatwick Express has ample luggage space, and it terminates at Gatwick, with the train sitting at the platform for much longer, so that it's easier to get on and off. And it does not stop anywhere else. So for anyone with luggage (esp those who are not used to London commuter trains), the small extra is probably well worth paying.

Globaliser - Thanks so much for clarifying the different train service options to/from LGW. Southern's service was an option until I realized it was more a commuter train with limited luggage space.

For the best route with NO changes.' Is this Southwest or Southern train service?

Thank you for your informative posts.:)

For the best route with NO changes.' Is this Southwest or Southern train service?
I like to put back in to CC at least what I get out of it!

Between Gatwick and central London, I think that the best service for those with luggage is the Gatwick Express to London Victoria. This service is the only service that the train operator runs.

Southern Railway is the cheapie option to Victoria - stopping trains that are often packed with commuters at peak hours.

First Capital Connect runs the service formerly known as Thameslink. At most times, this provides a fast direct connection to the City (the main central London financial district), stopping at East Croydon, then London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and Kings Cross Thameslink - the train then goes on to Bedford. But it is also largely a commuter service. Also, it is slower and does not go to London Bridge during peak hours, because there are too many trains at London Bridge at that time of the day. At these times, you can get Southern trains to London Bridge if that's what you really need. Personally, I'd rather nurse a coffee and a newspaper for an hour or two and then get the FCC.

I don't think that South West Trains has any trains at Gatwick.

The Gatwick Airport website, http://www.gatwickairport.com/ , lists some train options. Click the link "to and from our airport" then "by train or bus". Southern's direct service to Southampton is particularly attractive to cruisers.

I took the Gatwick Express to Victoria before learning that Southern's service was handier and quicker to my Waterloo Station destination (change at Clapham Junction). FCC's train to King's Cross worked out nicely for me, too. I was traveling with only a carry on bag at the time. Carrying cruise ship luggage makes the Gatwick Express more attractive. The Gatwick Express would be preferred during the commuter crush, also.

(Globelizer:) In contrast, the Gatwick Express has ample luggage space, and it terminates at Gatwick, with the train sitting at the platform for much longer, so that it's easier to get on and off. And it does not stop anywhere else. So for anyone with luggage (esp those who are not used to London commuter trains), the small extra is probably well worth paying.

May I ask Globelizer a question, please? We are staying at the AVon Hotel on Norfolk Sq. near Paddington Station. If we took the GAtwick express (we are flying into Gatwick), how far from Victoria Station is Paddington? Can we get a cab, or what do you recommend. We are on a budget.

Thanks,

Claudia

We are staying at the AVon Hotel on Norfolk Sq. near Paddington Station. If we took the GAtwick express (we are flying into Gatwick), how far from Victoria Station is Paddington? Can we get a cab, or what do you recommend. We are on a budget.
It would probably take you 15 minutes and about GBP 10 (GBP 15 tops) in a cab. If you have luggage, I think you'll probably find this money well spent. The hassle of trying to get around in London with luggage, unless you're well used to it, is probably not worth the money saved, particularly as you'd have to pay per person on public transport but only once per cab. (For example, if you were to buy a cash single Tube ticket, it would be GBP 4 per person. Though buying cash singles is a lunatic way to pay for Tube travel these days.) This is so even though your hotel is pretty close to Paddington station.

It would probably take you 15 minutes and about GBP 10 (GBP 15 tops) in a cab. If you have luggage, I think you'll probably find this money well spent. The hassle of trying to get around in London with luggage, unless you're well used to it, is probably not worth the money saved, particularly as you'd have to pay per person on public transport but only once per cab. (For example, if you were to buy a cash single Tube ticket, it would be GBP 4 per person. Though buying cash singles is a lunatic way to pay for Tube travel these days.) This is so even though your hotel is pretty close to Paddington station.

Thank you. I think we are going to get a minvan from Gatwick to get us to the Hotel. I don't think all our luggage will fit in a cab :D .

Claudia

I think we are going to get a minvan from Gatwick to get us to the Hotel. I don't think all our luggage will fit in a cab
My advice: Take the train and get two cabs at Victoria.

The road from Gatwick to central London is long and slow. Even the Hotelink shared shuttle service puts you on the train from Gatwick to Victoria, and only then puts you into their van/bus. If you can manage the train to Victoria, but you have too much to go into one cab, then simply use two.

And if you are on a budget, you may find that the cost of pure road transfer from Gatwick to central London is a mind-blowing budget-breaking figure.

Archived