Do you lock your luggage before checking it in at the pier?

dcsam

At K-Mart I found these handly little plastic single use locks. They were very inexpensive. They work like the plastic zip locks, as they need cut to remove. The reason I like them is I don't see many around. With the zip ties they can be cut, removed and replaced easily. Not likely anyone will go to the trouble of replacing them though. I expecially like to use them with my laptop, when I have to leave it in the cabin/hotel room. I lock it inside my luggage so it's not obvious what it is. Why take the chance. :rolleyes: ;)

For a recent trip to Costa Rica, I purchased a really usefull piece of luggage. It has wire mesh all around it and the top is cable. It's locked and there's no way to get into it unless you have cable cutters. You can lock them around a post or even the plumbing below sinks. Or if you have to leave luggage in the trunk, then we wired the luggage to metal work within the car. They're fantastic and sure made our vacation less stressful. We had everything important locked up in there at times (i.e., passports, cameras, money) and in places where there were only screens on windows.

Caroline

I place live snakes in my luggage, having trained them to bite anyone beneath middle management level. That should should ensure only blue collar workers are bitten, as they are all thieves. I give bonus tips to anyone not suffering obvious symptoms of snake venom ingestion on the last day.

I place live snakes in my luggage, having trained them to bite anyone beneath middle management level. That should should ensure only blue collar workers are bitten, as they are all thieves. I give bonus tips to anyone not suffering obvious symptoms of snake venom ingestion on the last day.

The thing about the snakes was funny.......however I totally disagree about blue collar workers.... this should get interesting!!

He was joking about 'blue collar' workers. Scottish people are rounded for their humour, the only time they lose it is when it's time to get the beers in!!!

Thank you Admiral, that is a relief! I should know about British humour having lived in Britain when I was younger.;)

I use the big colorful canvas straps that go around the entire back from beginning to end (they snap into place). One, its good for air travel. Two easy to ID bags. Three, keeps bags from opening should they be handled roughly. Four, other people do not mistakeningly grab your bag.

Should your bag go missing it is easy to describe to anyone. I don't worry about theft. But that's just me. Its pretty hard for someone to take these things off without attracting MASSIVE attention.

I also give the porter at the dock an appropriate tip.

I use the big colorful canvas straps that go around the entire back from beginning to end (they snap into place). One, its good for air travel. Two easy to ID bags. Three, keeps bags from opening should they be handled roughly. Four, other people do not mistakeningly grab your bag.

That's funny that you said no one will mistakenly grab your bag. We use the bright lime green straps also for many of the reasons you mentioned and it definitely helps. But last year as we waited for bags after a Hawaiian cruise, my husband told me there was a little old lady ready to head out of the area with one of our bags! I left him to watch for the rest of our luggage and stopped her before she got too far. Sure enough, similar black bag with a green strap. Who knows where my luggage might have ended up! I now have gotten those bright orange padded velcro things that go around the handle. So the combination of the green strap, orange handle, and most of our luggage being blue, makes it really easy for us to spot and more than likely keep anyone else from mistaking it! It sure was easy to pick out from the mountains of luggage on our last cruise. :)

That's funny that you said no one will mistakenly grab your bag. We use the bright lime green straps also for many of the reasons you mentioned and it definitely helps. But last year as we waited for bags after a Hawaiian cruise, my husband told me there was a little old lady ready to head out of the area with one of our bags! I left him to watch for the rest of our luggage and stopped her before she got too far. Sure enough, similar black bag with a green strap. Who knows where my luggage might have ended up! I now have gotten those bright orange padded velcro things that go around the handle. So the combination of the green strap, orange handle, and most of our luggage being blue, makes it really easy for us to spot and more than likely keep anyone else from mistaking it! It sure was easy to pick out from the mountains of luggage on our last cruise. :)

Good tip, thank you! I am definitely going to buy the strap and handle thing now.:)

We found some plastic zip ties in BRIGHT neon colors at our local hardware store. The brightly colored ties aren't so much for security, but mostly to keep the zippers from coming open during handling and to make it easier to find them in the sea of similar bags at the end of the cruise. IMHO - With most of today's soft-sided luggage, it wouldn't matter if the piece was locked or not if someone wants in it.

We were on Coral on June 4. We checked our bags in Fresno and did not see them until they were in the cabin. We had nite from TSA in 2 of the 4 saying that they had inspected them. BTW thise particular bags had booze in them and the booze was still there.

We found some plastic zip ties in BRIGHT neon colors at our local hardware store. The brightly colored ties aren't so much for security, but mostly to keep the zippers from coming open during handling and to make it easier to find them in the sea of similar bags at the end of the cruise. IMHO - With most of today's soft-sided luggage, it wouldn't matter if the piece was locked or not if someone wants in it.

I dont think anyone disagrees that if someone was intent on breaking in that they could do it. Having said that, the same thing could be said about our homes, our cars, just about anything. Most thefts from cars are prevented by simply locking the door and the thief will just go to the next unlocked vehicle. Same with luggage...why would a thief hassle with a locked bag if the one next to it is unlocked.

They have TSA locks that can be opened by certified crews men, but at the same time you never know who has the master key to do so.. check out the link below they have a TSA certified lock that you can use to lock your luggage and it will tell you if it has been searched

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/tsa_luggage_locks.html

"Travelers can now know if their bag have been searched by a TSA agent, or violated by an unknown person, just by looking at their luggage lock."

Archived