Picnic from Room Service

15Love

Hi ... my husband and I are traveling on the Fascination (Carnival) from July 9th to the 13th for our 15th Wedding Anniversary and intend to do the "Ruins" at Tulum (Cozumel) I had heard a rumor that you could order a "Picnic Lunch to Go" from Room service on the ship and then take it with you into Port. We are splurging on a CAT 12 room so I'm hopeing that's what they will do for us. Has anyone else done this? Any other advise on taking the Tulum?

Thanks 15LOVE (as in STILL in Love with each other:D !)

Hi ... my husband and I are traveling on the Fascination (Carnival) from July 9th to the 13th for our 15th Wedding Anniversary and intend to do the "Ruins" at Tulum (Cozumel) I had heard a rumor that you could order a "Picnic Lunch to Go" from Room service on the ship and then take it with you into Port.

Thanks 15LOVE (as in STILL in Love with each other:D !)

No, they seriously frown on taking room service food off the ship.

There is no "Picnic to Go" available from room service. Wellwishers.com could supply you with a picnic basket filled with pre-packaged items though. They do a great job and deliver to all ports, worldwide.

It's also going to be very HOT in Tulum. Be sure to take plenty of water along.

There is a small store at the entrance to the ruins, or there was when I was last there a few years ago. They have a small selection of snack foods and cold drinks.

Be sure to catch the flying acrobats show at the entrance to the ruins. Please support the locals by hiring a Mayan guide at the ruins. It really enhanced our experience.

Welcome to the boards.:)

Happy Anniversary!:)

Please do not attempt to take any food items off the ship except packaged crackers, etc. Against the laws of most islands; could seriously damage their ecosystem. We're visitors to their islands, and need to respect their laws.

If you have a small cooler, take water - and wear a wide-brimmed hat when visiting the ruins. Talk about hot!;)

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

I'm glad you asked your question here, rather than ask on the ship. They would never pack you a lunch to take off the ship as it is against the law, I believe. Have you checked with the timing of the excursion with the time that the ship is in that port? I'm pretty sure that you will have already had lunch before you dock. If your itinerary is the same as mine for next April, you will arrive at Calica at 1 pm.

Have a great time! I'm also hoping to do the ruins at Tulum when I go.

Jane

Yes, there are stores outside of the ruins.

My excursion included a box lunch, but that was with Royal Caribbean and it was a few years ago. Carnival might provide something similar. You might want to ask.

By the way, Tulum is truly beautiful and eerily peaceful. It's one of my favorite places to visit!

Looks like you have been duly lectured about not taking food off the ship.

Have a big meal before you go and buy snacks long the way! They won't help the waistline but they are oh sooooo good!

Have a great time!

See I KNEW the experienced Cruisers would know. Seriously thanks for all the advise. I'm a bit (understatement) of a control freak and wanted to have all the ducks in a row, color coordinated and QUACKING before we left. This will be our 1st cruise ... just us ... last time it was with a BIG family group and our children .... can't wait for this one! :o :D

And to be safe, I usually buy some prepackaged snacks like cheese crackers, peanut butter crackers, individual bags of trail mix, etc that I keep in a small plastic box in my backpack for when we leave the ship. These make great snacks to tide us over until we can find a place to eat or get back to the ship. If you really want to plan ahead, when you get to your port of origin, find a 7-11 or supermarket and pick up some packs of the lunchables. With a softpack cooler, your cabin attendant can help you keep if filled with ice and the lunchables will be fine for when you leave the ship.

Although I have to say that I haven't been to a cruise excursion destination yet (including ones that are not ship organized excursions) that I couldn't find something along the way to lunch on. There was one place this most recent trip where DW didn't like what they had and she chose to skip lunch and returned to the ship mid-afternoon to get a snack on-board at the buffet. But food was available. You have to go someplace pretty off the beaten track to not find people willing to exploit Americans with money. :)

Archived