NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

We just received our letter yesterday describing the new World Points program. Speaking of snail mail--though something tells me this is the bank taking it's good old time and not the post office.

Thanks to all who posted the email and the address for disputed points. Now I at least know where to complain about my "missing" Compass points from December 12-31.

No. I had 893 on the December statement, and had not reached my max for the billing year. I know I earned 115 for the last two weeks in December (the time between the Dec closing date and the Dec 31 cutoff. So I earned 1008 points for the year and am due two $500 Compass Reward Certificates. I am just trying to figure out how 133 World Points showed up on my January statement. At 1% this would mean that I would have to have spent $13,300 the first two weeks in January. The whole bill was just over $4,000. I am not complaining, just confused.
You get 1 point per dollar spent...but they cash in at 1%.

So in order to get $500 off your cruise, you would need to accumulate 50,000 points. That would mean you'd need to spend $50,000.

Did your totals for the begining of January prior to the closing date equal only $133????

and we have gotten no letter dated 1/5/09, nothing about WORLDPOINTS received. Online is blank than B of A sending us to NCL site to see the same old thrilling statement on the new credit card which is far from exciting. So we sit & wait.

A month ago we get a 6 page statement of credit with B of A that we got with Compass Rewards card. It states nothing about rewards of card, etc. Just the meaning of credit terms. This was attached to a NCL letterhead stating that they have to send this to you by law, but that would be the credit card company (B of A) not a cruiseline.

No. I had 893 on the December statement, and had not reached my max for the billing year. I know I earned 115 for the last two weeks in December (the time between the Dec closing date and the Dec 31 cutoff. So I earned 1008 points for the year and am due two $500 Compass Reward Certificates. I am just trying to figure out how 133 World Points showed up on my January statement. At 1% this would mean that I would have to have spent $13,300 the first two weeks in January. The whole bill was just over $4,000. I am not complaining, just confused.

Statements that had billing days prior to December 31 and into January had only the January(WorldPoints) point totals on them, not Decembers (the Compass points). Even though your spending records show you earned 115 between your Dec closing date and the end of the years, BoA never took 2008 spending into consideration when preparing statements mailed in 2009 like they said they were going to.

If you spent enough to earn 115 points before the end of the year, but you're statement only shows 113 points, than you spent $113 in 2009 before your cycle ended. The 2008 points arent showing, and if you earned 115 compass points, your spending would have to have been around $3900. Add the $3900 in 2008 and the $113 in 2009 together and you should have your "I had just over $4000 in purchases". Hope this explains things.

Statements that had billing days prior to December 31 and into January had only the January(WorldPoints) point totals on them, not Decembers (the Compass points). Even though your spending records show you earned 115 between your Dec closing date and the end of the years, BoA never took 2008 spending into consideration when preparing statements mailed in 2009 like they said they were going to.

If you spent enough to earn 115 points before the end of the year, but you're statement only shows 113 points, than you spent $113 in 2009 before your cycle ended. The 2008 points arent showing, and if you earned 115 compass points, your spending would have to have been around $3900. Add the $3900 in 2008 and the $113 in 2009 together and you should have your "I had just over $4000 in purchases". Hope this explains things.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I know that the Compass Rewards points have "disappeared" and hopefully I will get the two $500 certificates which I am certian I earned with postings through Dec 31, since I did spend the required amount to earn those last 115 points.

The statement shows 133 WORLD POINTS total available, which is TOO MANY, based on my spending from Jan 1 through the cutoff date at the 1% rate. Most of my charges were before Jan 1. Even if they screwed up and started calculating my World Points from the December billing date, IT WOULD STILL BE TOO MANY WORLD POINTS AT THE 1% RATE. Now, I am not complaining, and will probably not use the card much, if at all now, but it makes me a bit nervous about how the Compass Reward Points are being calculated.

Thanks for the input, though!

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I know that the Compass Rewards points have "disappeared" and hopefully I will get the two $500 certificates which I am certian I earned with postings through Dec 31, since I did spend the required amount to earn those last 115 points.

The statement shows 133 WORLD POINTS total available, which is TOO MANY, based on my spending from Jan 1 through the cutoff date at the 1% rate. Most of my charges were before Jan 1. Even if they screwed up and started calculating my World Points from the December billing date, IT WOULD STILL BE TOO MANY WORLD POINTS AT THE 1% RATE. Now, I am not complaining, and will probably not use the card much, if at all now, but it makes me a bit nervous about how the Compass Reward Points are being calculated.

Thanks for the input, though!

Points don't show up at 1%...they are only worth and get SPENT at 1%

So 113 points means that you spent $113 from January 1st through your closing date in January.

Points don't show up at 1%...they are only worth and get SPENT at 1%

So 113 points means that you spent $113 from January 1st through your closing date in January.

Thanks for clearing that up, for my old, confused brain, however I think the number is still wrong.

The total dolars spent and posted to my account between Jan 1 and the Jan closing date was $437.26. Total WorldPoints Available:133. I still don't undertatnd, and now think they have not given me enough WorldPoints, but do not care about these. I will rarely use this card, if at all anymore.

Charges on that statement from mid December to December 31 are $3847.04 which should be 115 Compass Reward Points to be added to my previous total of 893 for a grand total of 1008 Compass Reward Points or two $500 Compass Reward Certificates. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Thanks for clearing that up, for my old, confused brain, however I think the number is still wrong.

The total dolars spent and posted to my account between Jan 1 and the Jan closing date was $437.26. Total WorldPoints Available:133. I still don't undertatnd, and now think they have not given me enough WorldPoints, but do not care about these. I will rarely use this card, if at all anymore.

Charges on that statement from mid December to December 31 are $3847.04 which should be 115 Compass Reward Points to be added to my previous total of 893 for a grand total of 1008 Compass Reward Points or two $500 Compass Reward Certificates. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

:D I hope everything goes smoothly for everyone waiting for big certificates such as yourself.

We had enough points back in Nov for 2 - 500 point certs..and I called and ordered them as soon as that statement closed. I didn't want to take any chances.

Unfortunately, on our other account, I should have managed my points better. I could have run up a lot more had I used that card for everything...but I didn't.

So I ended up with 360 points at the end of Dec. This amounts to 3 - 100 point upgrade certs which will do squat for me because we usually book balcony cabins and I don't believe you can use them for balcony upgrades, :confused: can you?? Even if you can, it's such a waste! I don't care if I'm on deck 11 as opposed to deck 8 :rolleyes: The cabin is the same.

I wish they'd let me book a mini suite and allow me to upgrade to a regular suite. THAT would be cool :p:p

I have to say my points are all showing up as they should...which is weird because it seems I'm the only one here who is experiencing this. It's also weird because January's points aren't even supposed to show up until February, right????

Edited by halos

My husband's account just closed for Jan and the charges were $60 and they gave him 60 worldpoints. Don't know how many times I need to ask that company not to use that account any longer and Suzi Orman says it's bad to close them.:rolleyes:

halos...guess what? I read somewhere that if you are over the hundred mark they are going to give you 4 useless 100 point certificates for your 360 points. Hey, at least you'll have an even number. ;)

c breeze...if we are interpreting their posting correctly and they add on the points after our Dec billing to the 31st, you should have 2 $500 cert and one 100 for the excess over 1000. I am stil nervous that the are referring to our Dec statement when they refer to the points earned through Dec 31st. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. I called the number posted with the point info and got a different answer and was told no one could tell me my final point balance...not NCL number I called or BOA. :eek:

Did anybody get there certificates from ncl yet, i had 525 points still waiting hope they come through. Let me know larry

My mother had 500 points on her card as of her December closing. My wife and I had 1000 and 500 points on our two cards as of of December closing. I should have requested the certificates before the end of the year but I didnt. From the sounds of things though they would not have showed up yet though either way. We're expecting 4 certificates for $500 each which we'll be using toward our August cruise so we're in no hurry, but it would sure be nice to get them and mail them in so we can be done with the NCL/BoA issues of the past few months. As soon as I get any certificates in the mail I'll post here.

With reading this, do many of you send in the cert's ahead of final payment?

I have always waited till final payment but it would be a good idea to send them in ahead of time. This way I know they are there and safely accounted for :)

Does anyone know if the certificates can be transferred from one person to another? My sister has two certificates that she can't use and I can. Thanks

If she adds you as a user to her account, then yes you can use her certificates

Statement closed today.

They gave me 431 points. Totally uncorrect, considering I paid over $2000 to NCL on 1/2 besides another couple grand in charges.

How do I get it fixed or will it be corrected next month?

From my WorldPoints experience (and what I've been told by bank reps) is that it usually takes about a month for the full points to post.

An off topic question - does anyone know if monies earned through a cash back credit card are reported as income? For example, if I were to spend $30,000 this year on my cash back credit card, and exchange those 30,000 points for a $300 check or statement credit, will that $300 be reported as interest income to the IRS? I've won a few contests before and have had to claim the prize's value as income. This is kinda along the same lines, but different, too. I just dont want to end up getting screwed over on this improved card, then have to pay taxes when I go to cash out as well.

Did anybody get there certificates from ncl yet, i had 525 points still waiting hope they come through. Let me know larry

No, still waiting (and nervous). BTW, I'm expecting $1500 in certificates, but I only owe $1480 - will I get $20 in OBC when I redeem?

An off topic question - does anyone know if monies earned through a cash back credit card are reported as income? For example, if I were to spend $30,000 this year on my cash back credit card, and exchange those 30,000 points for a $300 check or statement credit, will that $300 be reported as interest income to the IRS? I've won a few contests before and have had to claim the prize's value as income. This is kinda along the same lines, but different, too. I just dont want to end up getting screwed over on this improved card, then have to pay taxes when I go to cash out as well.

IRS says that credit card rewards are not taxable.

I don't know if BofA has always had this on their site, but I just noticed yesterday that when you first click on your acct., there are 4 tabs at the top in gray: Account Activity, My Statements, Services and Rewards. If I click on Rewards, it gives me options on redemption and then also to "Review reward points transaction history." Now the history search engine I found to be a bit cumbersome, but you can click on each of your closing dates in the "go to" box to get a running tally of what they say your points are. You have to click on the closing date and then move over to the right and click "GO!". And then it does show a point total for "conversion" of what they sent over to NCL. That transaction was posted 1/10/09 for us. HTH!

Edited by abugs

No, still waiting (and nervous). BTW, I'm expecting $1500 in certificates, but I only owe $1480 - will I get $20 in OBC when I redeem?

Our TA was able to apply the leftover credit to a BonVoyage purchase....the other option was a refund of the points back to my card, but this was just before it transferred over...I wasn't attempting that!