transfer from san diego airport to cruise port.... HELP??

jefftina

This will be my wife and my first time cruise to the Elation on Oct 1st and we have never been to San Diego before..is it easy to get a taxi or transportaion to the ship or should we reserve a shuttle?? our flight arrives about 10:45am.. how far is the port from airport? and aprox how much would a transfer cost? Thanks for your help :)

Plenty of taxis at the airport to pier, which is about, at most a 15 minute ride. Since I live here, so consequently get a ride from a neighbor, I don't know the fare, but would take a guess, since I have taken a taxi from pier to our house, approx 10 miles, which is $30, take a guess that it couldn't be more than $10 to $15.

The signage is very good at the airport to lead you up and over the walkway, after you pick up your luggage, to the taxi zone and it is very well managed.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there plenty of cabs waiting at the pier to take you back to the airport after the cruise? or should we reserve something? There are four of us. Only one ship at port that day.

Once you get to the port you can turn in your bags without having to get right on to the ship. Then you can take a little stroll along the water front if you wish. It is very scenic and would be a nice way to stretch your legs and have a little transition time before you board. The airport is super close to the port and the port is very well organized and set up. Have fun!!

After disembarking from the ship, where would be the nearest place (not too expensive, clean and safe) to stay for a couple of days not far from the airport but close to things to do and eat? Are there some motels that have free shuttle from the pier to their place?

Where could I get maybe a dinner cruise at to see some of San Diego or land tour?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

I believe at 10:30 you would be able to drop your luggage but not get a boarding number. There will still be people leaving the ship at that time. They won't let anyone into the building until those leaving are completely cleared out.

There are a lot of nice hotels within an easy walk from the port and some do also offer shuttle service. However San Diego is rather expensive. For a decent place you can expect to pay between $90 to $200 depending on the time of year and how many conventions are in town. Priceline is a great option though. If you big four star downtown any hotel you win will be nice. However if this will run you around $100 minimum and quite possibly more. Luckily good dining and local transport are reasonable and this takes the sting out a little. Plus San Diego is just a fabulous place to visit, and sometimes it is worth paying the price for the experience.

Dosi, many in our meet & Mingle are staying at the HI Bayside on 4875 N Harbor. We were able to get a group rate. My DH & I only live 2 1/2 hrs away but staying at hotel anyway. If we get there by 11 AM, you spoke of a number? or can we go into Terminal to check in by 11AM

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCTOBER 11, 2008, SAN DIEGO

11 may be too early. But if you were too early, you could at least leave off your bags, go grab a walk and a snack and then come back. After you check in at the terminal, they will give you a little ticket with a group number on it. Once they are ready to let folks on board the ship they will start calling group numbers. It doesn't take too terribly long. In the meantime there are chairs to sit in while you wait. My little son and I stayed at the Hampton Inn which is a couple blocks away. We walked over our big luggage early and just gave it to the stevedores. Then we walked back to our hotel and hung out for a little bit. Right at noon we walked back over with our carryon bags. All the walking was great because by the time we were in the waiting area my son was more than happy to just sit and hang out for a while. I think we were in group 9 or 10 and it took about 30 minutes for them to call us. We got on the ship around 1 or so, went up to Lido to eat. We were told we could get into our cabins at 1:30, but our deck was running a bit behind so I think it was closer to 2 that we actually got into the cabin.

The harbor area is very scenic, so if you get there too early just give your big bags to the stevedores and take your carryon for a little walking tour of the area. Anthony's Fishette is practically next door. I swear they have the BEST fish and chips I have ever tasted. But bring a sweatshirt or a sweater....it can be cool and breezy on the waterfront, even in the summer!!!

After disembarking from the ship, where would be the nearest place (not too expensive, clean and safe) to stay for a couple of days not far from the airport but close to things to do and eat? Are there some motels that have free shuttle from the pier to their place?

Where could I get maybe a dinner cruise at to see some of San Diego or land tour?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

Ooops missed the last part of your question. San Diego has a great tour company called Old Town Trolley Tours. You can get an all day ticket and then get on and off the trolleys as they do their circuit. When we went we got off in Coranado for a couple hours, at Balboa Park for a couple hours and in Old Town for a couple hours. I don't remember the exact price, maybe $30 for the day. But great drivers, lots of good info and very clean. I was just travelling with my then four year old and felt safe and well accomodated the whole time. You can buy tickets at a both located on the waterfront very near to the cruise port.

Dosi according to the HI Bayside Shuttle times, they run about every hour starting at 10:00 AM. We will try and coordinate with many in our M&M who are at the HI Bayside. Hotel said they were about 10 min away.If DH & I were going on our own, we would have most likely gone to the BW Bayside. Figuring most passengers aren't off til 10, pretty hard to get a ship that size ready for passengers by 11 AM. Thank you for your information.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCTOBER 11, 2008

• 1 month later...
Our flight flys in from PHX at about 10:45am was worried about getting to the ship on time.... but from what im reading it should not be a problem

You could probably crawl to the ship and still make it on time!!:D

In reading posts on another segment of this board it has been stressed that the pier workers will not let anyone drop off luggage or enter the pier area until 11:30. You may want to check before just heading over there and then having to walk around with your luggage until 11:30.

Here is the accredited link from the airport authority...

http://www.san.org/airport/ground_transportation/taxicab_service.asp

The best place to hang out if you get in a few hours early is the Midway aircraft carrier and the Fish market ... they are just south of the cruise pier, no more than a hundred yards or so.

For hotels the HI is closest and medium priced. The Best Western is more reasonable and provides a free shuttle...For the real cheapies there is a Thriftlodge an a Days inn on Pacific Highway less than a mile away.:D

• 3 weeks later...

There is a RiteAid pharmacy store about three blocks from the port. When you are facing the Holiday Inn take the street to left of the hotel. Walk about three or four blocks and I think the RiteAid will be across the street to your left. They have all kinds of soda there.

Sheila, have a restaurant question. Oct 11, 2008, we have right now 10 couples, staying at the HI Bayside at 4875 N Harbor due to fact we got a great group rate with car. Is there a restaurant near by that could handle # 15 to 20 for a Pre Cruise dinner. I had read there were a couple on Shelter Island. We live 2 1/2 hrs from SD. Thank You

Gay

Splinter, ty, I know two of us are driving in for sure, possibly a 3rd. so we would car pool. Majority of the group is at the HI Bayside, because of the group rate, and 10 days free parking, $ 5 after. HI on the Bay wanted $ 20/day parking. I will pass this information unto our Dinner chairman. TY again.

Gay

Archived