The Best of 'I Work in Port Canaveral'

jantra

You fly into Orlando, rent a car from Hertz, Budget, Avis, whoever. You then drive to Port Canaveral where you return the car at the agency office, they will give you directions when you rent the car. You then take the rental car's shuttle directly to the port. After your cruise, get on the shuttle to the rental office, get a car, drive to airport and return the car. It is a very easy process BUT there might be one HUGE problem. Is anyone in your group 25 yrs old? I don't think any of the rental companies will rent to someone under 25.

Edited to add: I just looked at some of the agencies and you can rent if you are 21 or over but some have a surcharge for renters 21-24.

hmm how long does the whole process take???

yes the other couple we are going with are 27 and 28 =)

hmm how long does the whole process take???

yes the other couple we are going with are 27 and 28 =)

Its a 45 minute drive. I would say that from the time you get your bags from the plane you will be in the ships boarding process within 2 hours.

im just praying i dont have any flight problems.... we arrive in orlando at 11:45.....im nervoussss!! lol... i will never ever ever ever ever do this again....

that should bring me around 2pm ill get on the ship--

my friends drive fast so maybe sooner....

is there a lot of traffic getting there???

im just praying i dont have any flight problems.... we arrive in orlando at 11:45.....im nervoussss!! lol... i will never ever ever ever ever do this again....

No traffic at all. You will be fine. When I cruise I always travel the day before if possible. It is so much more relaxing.

No there isn't a lot of traffic but you sure better watch the speed limit.

Especially once you get into Merritt Island - Have a great time and you will be fine. honest

Always

Shirley

can you give any advice on this hotel they have a great rate for oct. precruise...I have heard the good and bad about this place, Thanks

I myself think the Wakulla is a nice place - I know the owner Michael and he has put a lot of hard work into it and it is a Mom and Pop owned place - at one time it really was in bad shape, but a lot has been put into it - I love the way it looks from the outside and has a lot of tropical plants in the courtyard - its right on A1A - pretty close to a lot of stuff and the beach - he will put your name on the marquee for special events or happenings - I have never stayed there, but I believe they have good management and like anything, its never going to be 100 percent perfect.

Always

Shirley

No traffic at all. You will be fine. When I cruise I always travel the day before if possible. It is so much more relaxing.

trust me ill never not fly in the night b4 lol...everrrrrrr again!

good thing is im traveling with 2 coppers sooo hopefully we wont get pulled over hehe....

okay so i think im doing this right... i rented out of mco and am returning it 2 hours later at port c

Pickup Date: Thursday, September 20, 2007

Pickup Time: 11:30 AM

Return Date: Thursday, September 20, 2007

Return Time: 1:00 PM

Pickup Location: MCO -

Orlando Intl Airport

Preferred Location : Yes

Return Location: P3F -

Avis - Cape Canaveral

Arriving Flight: N/A

is this right??? lol

Pricing

Base Rate:

Taxes & Surcharges

Total Surcharges:

• $2.03 per day (Florida Surcharge & Waste Tire/Battery Fee)

• $0.54 per day (Vehicle License Fee)

• 9.8% (Concession Recovery Fee)

Total Tax ( 6.500% )

Mileage 2.12

Unlimited

Approximate Subtotal:

37.62 USD

i didnt book this yet i wanted to make sure i was doin the right thing first....

Pricing

Base Rate:

Taxes & Surcharges

Total Surcharges:

• $2.03 per day (Florida Surcharge & Waste Tire/Battery Fee)

• $0.54 per day (Vehicle License Fee)

• 9.8% (Concession Recovery Fee)

Total Tax ( 6.500% )

Mileage 2.12

Unlimited

Approximate Subtotal:

37.62 USD

i didnt book this yet i wanted to make sure i was doin the right thing first....

Plus a little gas. Less than $45.00 to get 4 of you to the port sounds pretty good to me.

Nevermind...i found it =)

very weird its cheaper on sunday ....

Your Base Rate for a 0 day(s) 9 hour(s) rental is: 30.00 USD

Surcharge : 2.57 USD

$2.03 per day (Florida Surcharge & Waste Tire/Battery Fee)

$0.54 per day (Vehicle License Fee)

Tax: 1.95 USD ( 6.000% )

Approximate Total: 34.52 USD

Mileage: Unlimited

Love this thread!!! Thanks for all the info ... our next cruise isn't until august, but I've never been to this port and it is very confusing ... Now I have to decide if we are going down a day prior or two days prior and going to Sea World ... Jan

Jan lets see if we can help to unconfuse you. Whats the problem?

I think I'm just confused about transportation the most. I'm so used to going to Ft Lauderdale or Miami and just hopping in a taxi. Going out of this port though it sounds like the best plan would be to rent a car.

What is traffic like? Is it crazy (please understand that I'm from Maine and although we drive fast and slam brakes on and yellow-red lights mean go like the wind to get through it ... we have very few interstates (only one) and I'm a horrible back seat driver, etc. etc. ... Then there is the getting lost factor.

I understand that the car rental is at the airport, and I think that there is somewhere near the port that the vehicle is returned..Is that correct?

My DH has a sister that lives near Daytona Beach .. how far is that?

This thread has been a wonderful help ... and I'm sure that I will be asking more over the next 11 months. I'm really looking forward to exploring a new area. Thanks, Jan

I think I'm just confused about transportation the most. I'm so used to going to Ft Lauderdale or Miami and just hopping in a taxi. Going out of this port though it sounds like the best plan would be to rent a car.

What is traffic like? Is it crazy (please understand that I'm from Maine and although we drive fast and slam brakes on and yellow-red lights mean go like the wind to get through it ... we have very few interstates (only one) and I'm a horrible back seat driver, etc. etc. ... Then there is the getting lost factor.

I understand that the car rental is at the airport, and I think that there is somewhere near the port that the vehicle is returned..Is that correct?

This thread has been a wonderful help ... and I'm sure that I will be asking more over the next 11 months. I'm really looking forward to exploring a new area. Thanks, Jan

Jan I dont think I can answer all your questions in one post but they all have been along the way. The best way to cut thru these is to use the "search" function at the top of the page just like you would on Google. Type in Rental or transportation etc. Getting here is a piece of cake.

Daytona is less than an hour north of here.

By the way also look at the "I work in PT. Canaveral thread" It has more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!!!! i got one more full day then im offf!!! hehe

Im nervous about this car rental thing.. lol...

Where do i go to get my car??? where is avis??? thats what i used... when do you pay ??

and again how close is the drop off to the port???

Hi! Just a couple of thoughts. 1) Like Preston said, there is a lot of detailed information in the very long (but very worthwhile) I work in Port Canaveral thread. 2) Remember if you are renting a car for both directions, you will actually be renting two cars, one for each way. We did the Towncar thing, but we were not going anywhere except the hotel and then the port. 3) We did do the rental car thing several years ago, and as long as you can get out of the airport - you can't get lost. You get on the Beeline heading east (there is a toll to be paid - only like $1 or so) and eventually you end up in Cape Canaveral. The speed limit is like 70 mph or something and there isn't traffic (unless there is a shuttle launch). Very pleasant little drive. I just hate dealing with rental car agencies.

I did a review of our Town Car service - Sunrise Florida Transportation in this area, so you should be able to find it with a search to see that option. Again, I also recommend hitting the other I work in Port Canaveral thread.

Have fun planning.

Thank you for putting up this thread, it offers so much information!

There is still one thing confusing me regarding rental cars.

We won't arrive at MCO until 6pm (if everything goes well). Some rental companies have their hours listed until 4.45pm. Does that mean people coming in later can't rent a car???

Thank you for putting up this thread, it offers so much information!

There is still one thing confusing me regarding rental cars.

We won't arrive at MCO until 6pm (if everything goes well). Some rental companies have their hours listed until 4.45pm. Does that mean people coming in later can't rent a car???

The major companies are open in Orlando at that time. You may want to check again. Over here they keep only daytime hours but you can still drop a car after hours by dropping your info through a slot in the door.

Archived