So American dress etiquette

SoBaycruiser

Many years ago when we did a Mexican Riviera cruise, the ladies were advised not to where shorts ashore as this was unacceptable in the Mexican culture. Things may have changed since then. However, I was wondering about South America. In the hotter locales like Santiago, Buenos Aires, or Iguazu Falls what is the acceptable dress? Most discussions have been about light clothes vs warm clothes. How about the type of clothing?

I beg to differ. Shorts are really not very acceptable in Buenos Aires or Santiago. Rio, yes, because of the beach.

I go to South America 4 times per year for business. I very seldom see anyone except American tourists in shorts. You are setting yourself up for currency rip off, market rip off, and just rip offs period if you appear in shorts. My South American business colleagues have often commented on the "sloppiness" of American tourists in their shorts and flip flops.

I personally wear a lightweight blazer (linen or cotton) and usually something like Dockers and a polo shirt or nice, loose cotton blouse.

Please, do yourself a favor. Lightweight cotton slacks, cotton tops, even capris, will fit in much better than shorts. You don't want to be taken advantage of.

I don't agree with the previous poster. I have been to Buenos Aires several times on business and pleasure and shorts in the daytime are quite acceptable. If the temperature is moderate and not too hot by all means where something else. And, if it is during the daytime and it is quite hot wear shorts. It is fine. We did it the last time we were there on a full world cruise just this past February and it was fine. At night when we went to the Tango of course we got dressed up.

On a related note, my daughters in-laws are from Buenos Aires, Argentina (they live in the USA now) so I am quite familiar with Argentina not only because we have been there several times but also through them.

Again, use good judgement. If you are there during the daytime and it is 90 -95 degrees I would go in shorts. If it is 80 degrees by all means capris for the ladies and say dockers for the man.

And, by the way, you will be seen as tourists as soon as you open up your mouth and speak unless you speak fluent spanish with the appropriate accent so what you wear is not the issue. And, you can bargain in South America on items and you should. And the rates continue to be favorable.

Keith

I just wanted to add some additional background on this subject. My wife and I tend to dress up more than most. On casual nights many times I wear a sports jacket. When we fly on a trip I tend to also wear a sports jacket. And we both think about what we wear.

But, again, when we have been to Buenos Aires during times when very hot and humid we will dress appropriately for the weather and it is fine as most others who are tourists do the same.

Finally, any city I have been to on business sure when I see people who are not dressed up it's obvious that they are either a tourist, or they live in the area but they are off that day. That is true of many places around the world from NYC to London. But, I'm not trying to hide that we are a tourist. As I said I think as soon as one talks it will be obvious that they are a tourist.

Now, as I mentioned at night if we have dinner there in Buenos Aires or go to a Tango, yes, I will wear a sports jacket and my wife will also be dressed up. But, that is a different venue where we are basically inside.

Keith

How about a casual linen dress or skirt and top for day wear? Also would a linen skirt/dress be appropriate for wearing to dinner or a tango show in the evening?

A linen dress or skirt would be fine for daytime.

In terms of the evening it really depends on where you are eating, etc.

When we went to the Tango show I wore a sports jacket and my wife wore a nice pants suit. Like anything else you had a mixture but I would say that at a minimum go smart casual but if you error on this error on the dressy side in the evening.

Keith

Archived