Deciding to cancel

valleyguyva

Let me say at the outset that I sincerely appreciate the Cruise Critic community. The myriad insights and perspectives represented by this family of cruise-obsessed travelers is something for which we all should be grateful. While our unique interpretations and passionate observations occasionally put us at odds, the ultimate goal is shared by all: to expand our knowledge and make our experiences a more fulfilling exercise for everyone. It is in this context that I offer a few personal thoughts on Azamara Cruises.

Back when Journey was but a nebulous concept in the marketing schemes of Celebrity brass, my partner and I -- both Captain's Club members and experienced cruisers -- accepted on faith that Journey would, as promised, afford us an enhanced cruising experience. We booked a penthouse suite for September 2007 and began anticipating, along with everyone else, the grand unveiling.

As we all know, what emerged, depending on your generosity, was something between a fiasco and a well-intentioned promise not fully realized. Of greater concern to us was not that Azamara stumbled out of the starting gate but the lengths to which this company deceived its customers before, during and after its inaugural cruise; and to this day, continues to present its concept, policies and procedures with as many interpretations as there are corporate personnel to deliver them.

While we are certain that Azamara Cruises is a better product today than, say, two months ago, we remain unconvinced that there exists within this company a conscience that gives business ethics the high priority it deserves. And as businessmen who value and respect our customers, we could not escape the ethical burden placed on us by the propsect of doing business with Azamara Cruises as if the events of early May never occurred. We have cancelled our cruise and made alternate plans.

The deadline for making this decision was Saturday, July 14 at 5:00 PM and as late as 4:30 we were still wrestling with the certainty that a decision not to cruise would make no difference to anyone but us. Some would see it as sanctimonious, others as idealism taken a step too far, and still others would argue that expecting profit-driven corporations to do the right thing is foolhardy.

The moment of truth -- and as good an omen as I have ever received -- came at 4:45 PM when I called Azamara to cancel. The representative, in seemingly stunned disbelief, admitted that she didn't know how to cancel a reservation. She asked me to hold while she transferred me to someone else. The "someone else" turned out to be a representative with Celebrity Cruises who, in equally stunned disbelief, became indignant that I had called her to deal with an Azamara reservation. She asked me to hold while she transferred me back to Azamara. I immediately interjected that I had just spoken with someone there who could not handle my request. There was a sigh of desperation, an inference that I was lying, and a confession that while she was capable of canceling my reservation, it was not something she was inclined to do since this was not a Celebrity cruise. At my insistence she did so anyway.

Each of us selects a cruise line, a ship and a given itinerary for distinctly different reasons, and our expectations are equally unique. No one should cite our experience as a model, nor do we seek to sway public opinion. This was a decision that satisfied our heads and our hearts, and we are the better for having reached it. Given that we have derived so much invaluable information and entertainment from Cruise Critic, we felt an obligation to share our thoughts. To everyone who is a part of this community, we wish you smooth sailing.

"I don't see the "ethical burden" in deciding whether to take a cruise or not. I can't relate to the agony of your decision. It's only a cruise, for goodness sake".

"I don't understand why did u cancel"?

Cruise Guy & Corona5657 are you both joking? After that thoughtful and well-defined post, you need to ASK why the agony of the decision and why the cancellation? There obviously must be some reading comprehension deficit in both of you.

For some, the attitude may be "it's only a cruise, for heaven's sake" but for others of us, like the gentleman above, it is a valued experience, a moment in time to be remembered forever, an event that is anticipated with great excitement and a particular promise from a certain line, a special ship, or an outstanding crew.

After much planning and discussion, to learn that the cruise you've booked is not quite what you anticipated; to have it repeated again and again that what you thought you were getting is not quite what you were promised (and you are being reminded that the new ship is so much better!) and then to feel as though you are being made a fool by the very company you put your faith into, well, as I said before, you need to ask why a cancellation?

My friends and I have each had individual discussions with reps from Celebrity and with those from Azamara (who sound as though they are shackled to the computer and have been beaten into submission to work for Azamara), and frankly, not one of them, once, has been either helpful, courteous, eager, or even merely polite or willing to forward your call to someone who might be able to assist. Neither group has any answers. You are likely to get three conflicting answers in response to the same question. Calling Azamara has become a form of punishment, that we're not quite sure we deserve. How do we know what to do, say, or ask about when the staff themselves are so clueless and misinformed?

Azamara continues to disappoint myself and my little group, but we're sailing to Bermuda anyway. We love Bermuda. If the Azamara Journey disappoints us it is no great loss since I have no intention of every joining one of their expedition cruises, at any rate. I want Bermuda out of New York on a ship that hopefully still respects the sea and some long-standing traditions. More and more, however, it sounds like those have been abandoned, as well.

Thanks for your time. And valleyguyva, and partner, have a memorable adventure whatever it is you do.

"I don't see the "ethical burden" in deciding whether to take a cruise or not. I can't relate to the agony of your decision. It's only a cruise' date=' for goodness sake".

"I don't understand why did u cancel"?

Cruise Guy & Corona5657 are you both joking? After that thoughtful and well-defined post, you need to ASK why the agony of the decision and why the cancellation? There obviously must be some reading comprehension deficit in both of you.

For some, the attitude may be "it's only a cruise, for heaven's sake" but for others of us, like the gentleman above, it is a valued experience, a moment in time to be remembered forever, an event that is anticipated with great excitement and a particular promise from a certain line, a special ship, or an outstanding crew.

After much planning and discussion, to learn that the cruise you've booked is not quite what you anticipated; to have it repeated again and again that what you thought you were getting is not quite what you were promised (and you are being reminded that the new ship is so much better!) and then to feel as though you are being made a fool by the very company you put your faith into, well, as I said before, you need to ask why a cancellation?

My friends and I have each had individual discussions with reps from Celebrity and with those from Azamara (who sound as though they are shackled to the computer and have been beaten into submission to work for Azamara), and frankly, not one of them, once, has been either helpful, courteous, eager, or even merely polite or willing to forward your call to someone who might be able to assist. Neither group has any answers. You are likely to get three conflicting answers in response to the same question. Calling Azamara has become a form of punishment, that we're not quite sure we deserve. How do we know what to do, say, or ask about when the staff themselves are so clueless and misinformed?

Azamara continues to disappoint myself and my little group, but we're sailing to Bermuda anyway. We love Bermuda. If the Azamara Journey disappoints us it is no great loss since I have no intention of every joining one of their expedition cruises, at any rate. I want Bermuda out of New York on a ship that hopefully still respects the sea and some long-standing traditions. More and more, however, it sounds like those have been abandoned, as well.

Thanks for your time. And valleyguyva, and partner, have a memorable adventure whatever it is you do.[/quote']

Very well stated:D

I don't understand why did u cancel?:confused: :confused:

First of all I was asking another person a question. I don't need other people telling me I can't read. For your info, I was simply asking why they canceled. Maybe I feel the same way they do, who are the rest of you to judge me?? I can understand their frustration, and I sympathize with them. I was just asking a question, isn't that what this forum is for?? So next time, don't quote me unless you can read and understand what I am talking about.

Hi Valleyguyva !

Thank you for your post. It was interesting to say the least. The only part I do not quite understand, is what is your actual reason for cancelling ? Was it due to Azamara's shaky start ? I assume you have been reading this Board, and have seen some excellent reviews of late. While I am not ready to proclaim Azamara a total success, I feel is is safe to say that that things have much improved since the beginning. I have 2 sailings planned on Quest this Winter, and I have no plans to cancel. As a matter of fact, I am very excited about sailing in a few months !

In all walks of life, we should strive to make decisions that make us comfortable. As your decision has done just that, I am happy for you. Whatever Cruise or other vacation you choose, I wish you all the very best.

So sad that you canceled, perhaps you'll sail her in a year or so, when Azamara is "up to par?"

I for one am not canceling, NO WAY! I can't wait to set sail on the Journey! I've been monitoring the Azamara board on CC and the reviews have been getting better and better! 4 weeks to go!

welcome back CORONA! Where is your review? tell all! :p

We recently booked an 18 night cruise on the journey (next March) and I have seen nothing that would surprise me about a new cruise line (more like a new brand of Celelbrity) or Celebrity (we have had past problems in dealing with Celebrity). But here is my take on all the posts and reviews. Its a new brand and has had some pretty typical start-up problems. We are very familiar with their ships having sailed them on Renaissance and Princess (the orginal R1 - R8 or Renaissance were all identical designs). I am surprised that some are shocked by the lack of "big time Vegas type shows" as this would not generally be expected on any relatively small ship. This is what many of us would call "small ship cruising" (although I can remember when a 700 passenger ship was large) which is very desirable for many of us who love to get away from the huge "Blight of the Seas" ships. As to Celebrity marketing, we never take the Concierge or "Butler" thing seriously since thats more of a con to charge you more money for not much of anything. Until we hear otherwise we will assume that Azamara is just another Celebrity cruise ship (small ship version) with similar cuisine, less glitzy entertainment, etc. As long as the pricing is reasonable and the itinerary decent, it all sounds fine to me.

Hank

In all walks of life, we should strive to make decisions that make us comfortable. As your decision has done just that, I am happy for you. Whatever Cruise or other vacation you choose, I wish you all the very best.

Andy, that is a very impressive response. The only thing I would add to it is that I hope the OP's alternate or future plans include a trip to Bermuda (if he hasn't already been) because it is such a beautiful place to visit. :)

Does Host Andy get free cruises from this company? It seems like he is..

Hi Rahi !

I thought about deleting your post, as it was very rude.

Not that I owe you an explanation, but.... since you asked the question. I get NOTHING from Azamara, or any other Cruise line for that matter. I doubt Azamara even knows who I am. I have a full time job in the Financial Services industry, and I post here at Cruise Critic for the past decade, because of my tremendous passion for Cruises.

While I admit I tend to be optimistic at times.... It probably is due to the fact that our Family has had a tremendous personal setback (health related) with a close Family member over the past 6 months. It has turned our lives upside down, and has been horrible for all of us, to say the least. It has truly opened my eyes. One thing I have learned from all of this, is to try my very best to stay positive, and appreciate each and every day we have here. Remember, we don't own this world, we just rent a little time here. I choose to stay positive, even when things are not great, and I am sure that reflects in my comments.

Anyway, as I always try to answer everyone's questions, I hope you are satisfied now.

One thing I have learned from all of this, is to try my very best to stay positive, and appreciate each and every day we have here. Remember, we don't own this world, we just rent a little time here. I choose to stay positive, even when things are not great, and I am sure that reflects in my comments.

Andy, your responses to people are always good ones, and never hurtful. I think you handled that very well....................

There seems to be way too much micro-analysis and Monday morning quarterbacking over why someone cancelled. If they are comfortablw with there decision, good for them. Vacations are a big expense and time is precious. It seems to be a silly debate.

Andy - I appreciate your moderating and hope that you persevere through the mentioned health problems.

Harry

Valleyguyva,

I respect your decision in this matter.I was considering Azamara and after much research and reading all of the posts on CC I have decided not to book.The reason being is that I do not think Azamara is a better quality product than Celebrity which is how it is marketed. in fact I conclude that it is by far a worse product.I have sailed with nearly every cruise line afloat and would be terribly disappointed with Azamara as it performs at the moment.

Host Andy..I am sorry.. I guess I don't get how these boards are ran.. seriously.. The message boards pay you? I honestly thought at times some hosts may have paid by the cruise line they represent on this board.. Again.. I'm sorry.

Hi Andy,

I may not post on these boards often, but as an elite cc member of Celebrity I read them frequently. I respect and appreciate all information on these boards but was taken back by the comment posted about you. Everyone has their own opinion regarding different subjects and your gracious response was more than adequate.

I look forward to meeting you on our maiden voyage of the Quest in October.

Sandy

Hello Andy,

I too always appreciate your thoughtful answers to questions and also appreciate how diplomatic you are as well. Thank you for the time that you take to help those of us that post a question here at cruise critic.

:)Cherie

All in all I do understand your doubts and final decission to cancel. We're booked for upcoming December (and some cruises there after) and untill today still in doubt.

Although reviews seems to get better, we still do not have confidence. One hand thinks we should give it a try, the other says cancel.

We let you know what our final choice will be !!!

Gee whiz, if someone wants to cancel a cruise, so what? If they choose to offer a reason, fine, but if not, who cares?

We are booked on the Quest trans Atlantic in April and fully intend on having a great cruise, but if for some reason we choose to cancel, it will not be posted on this board.

At times, these threads remind me of a bad soap opera:)

Phil

Gee whiz, if someone wants to cancel a cruise, so what? If they choose to offer a reason, fine, but if not, who cares?

We are booked on the Quest trans Atlantic in April and fully intend on having a great cruise, but if for some reason we choose to cancel, it will not be posted on this board.

Phil

Agree with you 100%.

Phil

Phil, I agree, but I'm totally addicted to my bad soaps just as I am to my CC threads;) .

Host Andy....Prayers are coming your way for you and your family.

(a lurker:o )

I honestly don't think my question was in anyway rude.. I honestly thought they were paid by cruise lines to host certain sections.. And if they were .. they really would have no way to be unbaised.

Archived