Restaurants in Rome -- Dress Code?

We are two nights pre-cruise in Rome before boarding the Crystal Serenity. We are considering dining at Antico Arco in Trastevere and Quinzi e Gabrieli near the Pantheon. What is the dress code for these restaurants, or other similar fine dining establishments? We want to walk before or after dinner to see the sights lit up at night, and we want to dress comfortably (ie., clean tennis/walking shoes, nice jeans, nice shirt.) Is this appropriate attire, or is it necessary to dress casual chic (slacks/skirt/capris) or dressy (coat for men/dress for ladies?) We are really looking for a restaurant in Trastevere and a restaurant near Piazza Navona or the Pantheon -- with excellent food, service and nice ambience -- where we can dress casually for walking in the evening -- and where we will not spend all night dining. We are not looking for a quick pizza, however. Price is not as important as quality and comfort. Please help if you can. Thanks!

Let me preface my response by saying that I don't know either of the two restaurants you mention. However, I can give my thoughts on dinner attire in general in Rome.

Romans that dine out are apt to dress in a "Euro casual" way. Such as a jacket over a nice silk t-shirt or open-neck collared shirt, tailored pants, and loafers for men; a nice skirt or pants with a silk shirt for women, etc.

However, Rome is a city of many tourists, so there wouldn't be many restaurants that would turn you away in the clothes you describe, particularly in the areas you mention.

Rather than tie yourselves down to a particular restaurant, why not just wander around the area at dinner time and look at the various restaurants (menus are usually posted at the door) and decide where you feel comfortable? You might wander across just the perfect place.

You will be fine dressed casually..capri pants,and top for you ,and slacks ,nice shirt and walking shoes will be fine.Some will be more dressed and some less dressed up,but of all the time I have spent in Rome especially when it is hot I have never had any problem eating any place.Not counting,of course,a high end dining room and then that is not the norm in the least for us. Enjoy.

I have not been to one of the restaurants you mentioned but looking at the homepage of Quinzi e Gabrieli and other available information it seems to be one of the restaurants were your defined "casual chic" would be the minimum and your "dressy" more appropriate.

Your initially described dress of tennis shoes and jeans is nothing that would be worn by Italians, at least not by those going to a restaurant like the above. Nevertheless cruisemom42 is right there are so many places catering for tourists in the areas you want to dine in that you might just pass along and check ambiance and menus.

Or maybe you take the time to refresh yourself and change before dinner. Quinzi e Gabrieli does not open before 7.45 pm and most people do not go for dinner before 8:30 or 9:00 pm. Nevertheless, again, in these highly touristy areas there are also places who offer earlier dinners.

I got it -- No jeans or athletic shoes. Coming from Malibu, California, where anything goes anywhere, I recognize that Europeans are much more conscious of "dressing" to dine. This is a refreshing change that I look forward to. Of course, we will refresh at our hotel during the evening, but I just wasn't sure how informal and casual we could be at dinner. Last time in Rome I dined on our cruise ship (Crystal Serenity then, too), and naturally we "dressed" for dinner. I agree that Quinzi e Gabrieli seems much more formal in attire, and wherever we dine, we will definitely dress accordingly (slacks/sport coat for my husband; slacks or skirt for me.) Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand of comfortable, flat walking shoes that are appropriate for a nice dress or pair of slacks? I know about Ecco and Munro. Any other suggestions that I might try? We will be in Rome the end of October when the evenings are cooler, so I am looking for a closed toe shoe rather than a sandal. Thanks for the help.:)

Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand of comfortable, flat walking shoes that are appropriate for a nice dress or pair of slacks? I know about Ecco and Munro. Any other suggestions that I might try? We will be in Rome the end of October when the evenings are cooler, so I am looking for a closed toe shoe rather than a sandal. Thanks for the help.:)

Skeechers has a new line out that are flat and they look like flats with a stap crisscrossed over them.I bought a pair a year ago when I had to stop wearing heels as much and need to stand around at parties..I bought them in a bronzy color and I wear them with dressy things as well as casual and I think they are great.I have had other women ask me about them especially when their feet hurt.I can walk in them all over as well. they have just expanded this line and I am sure they would work for you.BTW,did I say comfortable...:p

Although I anticipate that someone will cry "fashion police":

Italians are VERY fashion-conscious, with special regard to shoes. Jeans are okay when they go with a jacket and with nice shoes.

If you want to know what "nice shoes" are read Tom Wolfe's novel "A Man in Full".

But white tennis shoes are a disaster! And Eccos are even worse!

I am very sorry to say that but with such shoes you must expect to be treated not too well. Have you read Anthony Bourdin's book? The waiter may be smiling at you, but he will tell the chef "Americani" and he will be happy to serve you the fish from last week.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand of comfortable, flat walking shoes that are appropriate for a nice dress or pair of slacks? I know about Ecco and Munro. Any other suggestions that I might try? We will be in Rome the end of October when the evenings are cooler, so I am looking for a closed toe shoe rather than a sandal. Thanks for the help.:)

I have a bad back, and work in a fairly formal office environment, and have found that the all-time best walking shoes which also look good are Riekers. I probably have ten different pairs of them--check out www.Zappos.com. They have terrific shock-absorption, and last forever, too!

Two years ago, we found an amazing restaurant that's sort of in the area of Piazza Navona--it's actually just behind San Andrea delle Valle church, on the south side of Via V. Emmanuele. Drat, the name is on the tip of my tongue... BUT ask the people at your hotel, and they'll probably know it, all the Italians are familiar with it (which in itself is a good sign, right?): just tell them that it's the one that's built right into the curve of the wall where the ruins of Pompey's theatre are. They have only one set menu, which changes every day, and it is/was 20 Euros per person, which includes a bottle of house wine and a bottle of water. You eat until you drop and EVERYTHING is fantastic. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

Archived