First cruise, we leave tomorrow!

ilovetexas

We are taking the Carnival Sensation out of Port Canaveral for a 3 day Bahamas cruise on July 19. The husband, four kids and myself are driving down tomorrow. Our boys are 7 and 8, the girls are 10 and 12. Does anyone have any last minute advice for our first cruise? I've been reading this forum for the last hour and you really have some good things to say.

The only thing I am personally worried about is sea-sickness. I get REALLY motion sick and don't handle boats well.

Try not to make yourself sick about being sick. Sometimes you forget you're actually on a ship. Have a great cruise & tell us all about it when you return.:D

We sailed the Sensation last summer on the 4 day cruise. It will be a good first cruise for you & your family.

Well I don't think you will be getting motion sick on this cruise since you will not be on a boat but a ship :D. Have a great cruise and make sure you explore the ship first thing that's what I did on my first cruise.

When I was training Air Force pilot candidates we saw lots of folks who got motion sickness. One of the most sure fire cures, other than medication, was ginger. Eating ginger cookies, taking ginger supplements or eating raw ginger goes a LONG way to minimizing motion sickness.

I can assure you, the motion that these guys had to endure makes a cruise ship seems like being in the Empire State Building.

Give it a shot!

You're going to get hooked on cruising! Have a great time and don't even think about sea-sickness. Sounds like some good suggestions have already come up. I did the bands once on a particularly rough cruise. Used them for 24 hours , forgot them in the room and never needed them again.

Everybody is different but I suspect once the excitement of arriving, boarding and exploring the ship kicks in you'll forget all about being sick.

We expect a detailed review. Those of us with 577 days to go, live throught other's reviews.

Welcome to Cruise Critic...:) ...Ya'll are going to have the time of your life....My husband was scared before our first cruise,because of being sea sick on a fishing boat....We have now been on 10 cruises and he has never gotten sick...:D ....Happy sailing and let us know how it went...

:oHave a terrific time and as many folks have already suggested, I also recommend taking ginger tablets with you. They are natural and will help a lot and will not make anyone tired or feel drugged. Other than that I would recommend the buddy system for you and your children. Having cruised for the first and only time two years ago for seven days in the Caribbean ,with my husband and two children ages 18 and 20, at the time, we used the buddy system at all times and it was a big help. The cruise was our best vacation ever but the ship is big and you can get turned around, etc. Even chilling out in the cabin we used the buddy system and it just made everyone feel better.

Have a blast!

Underthestars13

Try not to make yourself sick about being sick. Sometimes you forget you're actually on a ship.

I agree ... their can be moments where you feel some movement ... but for the most part - at least for me - you do sometimes forget that you actually on a ship!!

Have a great cruise ... you'll love it ... just try and relax and enjoy the vacation! I wish I was going with you!!

The ginger tablets do work! Start taking before you set sail and you should be fine.:) Have a great cruise!

Great advice works for me. But, I hardly ever need it anymore.

Have a great first cruise!! The ship is so big you really don't feel anything:D

Best Wishes to you on a wonderful 1st cruise. Our last nite on the ship we had severe weather from Nassau to Miami. Our cabin was in the front of the ship.We rode the waves back and forth all nite long. The force was such it would physically roll us from back to the left side, then the opposite roll to the right side. Next day we were fine. Its actually a happy memory as we went up on Lido deck and watched a magnificent lightning storm. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

I may be too late to wish you a Bon Voyage......but am sending it anyway. LOL! We went on a 4-day cruise for our first cruise, and THAT didn't seem long enough. My advice....take some time to just sit and enjoy and reflect. None of us ever get motion sickness, so I can't help you there. I would lean toward bringing some ginger though...just in case. The stuff works great when I'm having stomach troubles.

Hope to see a review when you get back!

We are taking the Carnival Sensation out of Port Canaveral for a 3 day Bahamas cruise on July 19. The husband, four kids and myself are driving down tomorrow. Our boys are 7 and 8, the girls are 10 and 12. Does anyone have any last minute advice for our first cruise? I've been reading this forum for the last hour and you really have some good things to say.

The only thing I am personally worried about is sea-sickness. I get REALLY motion sick and don't handle boats well.

If you are worried about sea sicknesses -- go to the doctor and get the sea sickness patch. It really does work. Nothing will ruin your cruise faster than being sea sick. I loved the Bahamas. Have a great cruise!

My advice to to relax and go with the flow. I know that many people feel that they have to do as many activities as possible in order to feel like they have mad the most of their money. I do not agree with this. Just do what you feel like doing when you feel like it. If you want to take a nap do it, if you want to skip dinner and eat at the pizza bar later do it. Just enjoy yourself!

Archived