Are the insurance carriers are driving the new smoking policies?

KatWag

I understand market forces, but doesn't it seem like all of a sudden everyone is jumping on the bandwagon? Even lines you would not expect to do so like Regent and Seabourn?

Is this all coming from the insurance carriers as a reaction to some of the recent incidents? Given the loss in group bookings when the mass market lines start to restrict smoking it just seems really odd to see everyone jumping in at once like this.

It is much easier to clean up if smoking is prohibited. I think you are seeing the result of the fact that where smoking has been prohibited it hasn't seriously effected business and the positive effects of not having to claen up makes a significant difference. Most of the ships insurance companies have deductibles that are so high(the cruise line self insures the deductible) that smoking is not implicated in insurance rates....the deductible is probably more than a million dollars..if not 10 million...

There are SO MANY reasons for the lines to be doing this. Insurance is probably one of them, considering the greatest threat to ships is fire, and smoking inherently requires fire.

I think also there are fewer and fewer smokers... they die off faster than they start nowadays. A tipping point was probably reached where the benefit of accomodating smokers is outweighed by the liability of doing so.

Actually, it is a nice compromise... smokers can still puff away all they want, they just have fewer places to do it in.

I don't know much about Insurance influence(s), but the main reason most states and cities are going non-smoking indoors, bars, and restaurants is for HEALTH BOARD and WORKER HEALTH related issues.

I'm not surprised, the same issues are becoming issues in the indoor areas of cruise ships.

That being said most hotel chains are now charging pax extra fee's if they are caught smoking in non-smoking rooms. This is a trend sure to catch on soon on cruiseships.

FYI: I'm neither in favor of or against smoking rules anywhere, just trying to give insight as to why cruislines will surely be implementing strickter controls on smoking in 2008 and beyond. My wife smokes, only on the balcony, and is ok with most rules and regulations with regard to smoking, except we won't be doing any R7seas cruises (lol)

jc

Clark Howard had a bit on his radio show a couple of years ago talking about the increasing number of hotels that are going smoke-free. According to his report, it ultimately came down to economics. A smoking room took longer to clean (about 5 to 10 minutes longer per room), required more frequent deep cleaning, needed fabrics changed more frequently (presumable due to burns and/or odors), and were the last to fill. Given that less than 1 in 4 adults currently smokes in this country, it's not all that surprising that 75% of the passengers probably do not want to smell smoke and/or do not want to be in a cabin that smells of smoke.

Now, with that being said, I've never noticed the smell of smoke in any cabin that I've had aboard a cruise ship. However, I have been in a number of hotels where the smell was so strong that we had to sleep with the windows open in the middle of winter simply because no other rooms were available.

I do not care why--I am just so happy they are doing it.

Count me in, too!

I expect the policy changes are in response to public demand more than insurance issues.

I just don't believe that group business will be an issue at all (and the improvements may help get groups) as smokers are used to some level of inconvenience.

Archived