Does Cozumel get skipped often?

CrystalBlue

I will be going to Cozumel for the first next month and was wondering if this port gets skipped often due to weather? Never did a western caribbean cruise either and have read that some of the western ports get skipped often.

Trying to finalize an excursion outside of the cruise ship and looking at the royal swim that you have pay upfront. Has anyone ever missed this excursion and had any problems getting their money credit back to their credit card?

Thanks

It has never happened to us, and in fact I think one reason Wilma effected so much damage is that hurricanes so seldom run across the Yucatan like that, and no one was prepared. Next month is still early in the season anyway. We actually got rerouted from an Eastern to a Western Caribbean route once, after the first stop, because the captain of our ship elected that as the safer course.

Almost all off-ship tours have to be paid up front because after all, you are in and out in one day: and what guarantee does a tour company have? You don't have much to worry about--"you know where they live!" No one is going to fly down to Rio to escape your wrath . . . . :D

There have been times when either Jamaica or Grand Cayman have been skipped--but usually the ship will go to the opposite side of Jamaica from the intended stop, or to some other less-threatened island, as an alternative. Cozumel is usually too far West for the weather to be a problem. Sometimes the sea conditions can be a problem for those wanting to take a ferry to the mainland for shore excursions.

Unfortunately our cruise ships have stopped there every time they were scheduled.

We would rather another sea day.

I am confused? Why would you book a cruise that stopped a port that sounds like you do not like?

I will be going to Cozumel for the first next month and was wondering if this port gets skipped often due to weather? Never did a western caribbean cruise either and have read that some of the western ports get skipped often.

Trying to finalize an excursion outside of the cruise ship and looking at the royal swim that you have pay upfront. Has anyone ever missed this excursion and had any problems getting their money credit back to their credit card?

Thanks

In Cozumel it rarely happens...but it can happen. I would double check what their policy is if the ship does not come into port. Another thing I have had happen, the ship will switch port days when they have more than one Mexican port on that cruise. I can't remember which ship it was but they swapped the Cozumel and Playa Del Carnen days on us after we had sailed.

So double check what their policy is if EITHER of these things happen and as always...get it in writing!

99% of the time you will not have a problem. I just like to be prepared for that 1%.

I am confused? Why would you book a cruise that stopped a port that sounds like you do not like?

I think they meant they love sea days so much that they would be happy to just cruise. Thats the way I feel, it there was a 5-7 night cruise to nowhereI'd be booked in a minute!

Just maybe there were other ports on the cruise that we did like and wanted to go to.

Just maybe it was a 13 day repositioning cruise and that Coz was only one of many ports that we went to.

Just maybe Parrotthead is correct and that we like sea days also.

I feel certain that if you shipped out of Norfolk--as we did once--or out of New York for a Caribbean Cruise, the mighty Atlantic could cure you of any desire to be on the water. On our cruise there was a nice seven-day Eastern Caribbean cruise combined with a three-day misery of comin' and goin'! Even the lounge stewards were sick as dogs. My wife had "patches," and I seem to have better sea legs than I imagined; but it wasn't much fun. "When all about you are losing their lunches . . .", to paraphrase Kipling . . . .

Also some of the food in Cozumel is NOT to be missed!

On the up side, of course, at sea I could eat as much lobster as a human could hold, because no one else aboard was up to it . . . . :rolleyes:

I was on the Elation out of Galveston and had the port days switched. I was on the NCL Sun and we skipped Cozumel and Cancun due to the damage from the hurricane. Other than that one time, we have always made it to Cozumel.

To the OP saying they were not prepared, you are incorrect. Hurricane Emily hit Cozumel July 18th, 2005 and then Wilma Oct 22nd, 2005. Hurricane Wilma sat on top of the island for 36 hours. We only had hurricane force winds from Katrina for 6 hours. They had most of the island ready for the first cruise ship on Nov 16th. We cannot say the same for our Gulf Coast.

Dave

jetskier you are absolutely right--no one could have prepared adequately for those hurricanes, and few could have been so resilient as the Mexicans to return to service. Grand Cayman, comparatively filthy rich, was nonetheless unable to get the building materials or the labor in as timely a manner, situated as they are so far from a mainland. But of course those living on islands are particularly at risk, and Cozumel has no natural protection from the elemental forces. As one who lived in Miami for several years--and the Eastern Seaboard most of my life--I have had occasion to suffer the effects of several hurricanes over time. But all of those were moving fairly rapidly, and except for flooding and fallen trees which as it happened did not drown or crush me, the effects were nothing like what Cozumel must have suffered during those long days and nights.

Naturally enough, few passengers and cruise ship captains wish to be available to a hurricane; for my part, if a hurricane is interfering with my land tour package, the operators can take it and run. But it is a reason to consider booking tours through the cruise line: ANY interruption of their plans has ALWAYS been credited to my shipboard account before the ship returned to our home port.

I was on the Elation out of Galveston and had the port days switched. I was on the NCL Sun and we skipped Cozumel and Cancun due to the damage from the hurricane. Other than that one time, we have always made it to Cozumel.

To the OP saying they were not prepared, you are incorrect. Hurricane Emily hit Cozumel July 18th, 2005 and then Wilma Oct 22nd, 2005. Hurricane Wilma sat on top of the island for 36 hours. We only had hurricane force winds from Katrina for 6 hours. They had most of the island ready for the first cruise ship on Nov 16th. We cannot say the same for our Gulf Coast.

Dave

Know the felling of recovering from Katrina over here in the Big Easy.

But remember one thing. Coz did not have FEMA's help.:D :D

So Coz could and did come back faster.

You perhaps of all people should be willing to admit the Big Easy did not have FEMA's help either!

I wonder if they could pull a few guys off building our Thousand Mile Fence to give you a hand? Oops, no, that would allow Mexicans to cross the border--and they would be competing for construction jobs in New Orleans! Shame!

Shux! Guess the Decider will handle it one of these days, after his vacation! Heckuva job! :D

Hand me that flag behind you--I feel like wrapping myself!

You perhaps of all people should be willing to admit the Big Easy did not have FEMA's help either!

I wonder if they could pull a few guys off building our Thousand Mile Fence to give you a hand? Oops, no, that would allow Mexicans to cross the border--and they would be competing for construction jobs in New Orleans! Shame!

Shux! Guess the Decider will handle it one of these days, after his vacation! Heckuva job! :D

Hand me that flag behind you--I feel like wrapping myself!

No offense but it is the Mexicans who are doing the work down here and doing a durn good job as well.

We need all the Mexicans we can get. At least they work.

Trust me, they are doing all the work here in Dismal Swamp, Virginia, also. I wouldn't have a roof over my head without them.

And they have been building some pretty good restaurants, too! :D

Now that the Constitution has been shredded by unnamed co-conspirators, maybe we can get one to run for President. Okay by me!

Archived