Shopping for purses

parks & rec

My daughters have given me their "wish" list (more like a "dream on" list) of Coach purses. Here's my questions:

- which port has the better shopping/prices

- what is the price range like

- are prices set - or can you barter

We are going on the Aug 10th Crown cruise - and time can't fly by fast enough!

Coach bags is a US company - factory used to be in NYC- doubt you will get these bags at a better price in Europe- usually things made in Europe are sold at better prices in Europe but with the Euro even that is not necessarily true- prices right now are very high in Europe. You can barter in some shops but not all.

I used to be in accessory business in NYC for US stores.

Joey123

In Italy, you will find illegal vendors in Florence and Venice. They keep their merchanside on a sheet, so they can run when the Policia come along! The customer of buying a Knock Off handbag is subject to arrest and a steep fine.

My granddaughter had a Prada, Coach or Gucci bag on her wish list. Even a Prada newly released style KNOCK OFF sold for $385E in Turkey (the Grand Bazaar). Good luck with wherever you go finding a handbag that will please your teen.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

My daughters have given me their "wish" list (more like a "dream on" list) of Coach purses. Here's my questions:

- which port has the better shopping/prices

- what is the price range like

- are prices set - or can you barter

We are going on the Aug 10th Crown cruise - and time can't fly by fast enough!

I heard there's an outlet for Coach in St. Thomas. We are also going to the August 10th Crown and my sister and I (we're in our 30s) will try to find where the Coach outlet is in St. Thomas - maybe we'll meet there :). Coach bags in outlet stores are usually cheaper although as far as I know, prices are already set and you can't barter.

If you have a few days time in NYC, you can go Woodbury, NY outlet by taking the bus from Port Authority. A lot of branded stores out there including Coach. Or you can go to China Town and barter for knock-offs. They usually range from $15 (small purse) to $45 (big handbags). Some of them are really good but others are sloppy work.

For real Coach bags in outlet stores, they range from $30 for small wallets and such to over $200 for bigger items.

Hope these help!

There is a Coach outlet in San Juan. It's up at the top of hill kind of closest to the Fort for lack of a better way to describe it. It's on a street that runs parallel to the fort. (This is a main street so it isn't hard to find.) The Ralph Lauren outlet is also on the same road. Go past the to the Hard Rock Cafe up the hill, turn right up any of the streets after the Hard Rock. When you get to the next main road go left on it and the last street you hit running perpendicular to the road you are currently on is the one with the outlets. The shopping area isn't that big on that road so it will be simple to find the Coach store. Trust me, it's easy to find. (And the ship will have plenty of maps.) You can also stop in at the visitors center by the water in San Juan where they will happily give you a map, circle where it will be on the map and offer you a nice cocktail for your walk for free.

Happy shopping!

I'm a Coach girl from way back. Anyone remember "Ann Marie" (Marlo Thomas) in That Girl? She carried Coach bags long before they were popular, and I've been hooked on them since.

I agree with what others have said. No real bargains in U.S. or Caribbean. Outlets will have "older" models.

Good stock, BTW.

Chris

Be very carful of knock-off's while shopping for Coach bags. As for the outlets...I'm a die hard "Coach-A-Holic"...I was just at the outlets in Wrentham, MA and got a coach bag from THIS SEASON, however the color was white (exactly what I was looking for though)...they had some striped bags from this Spring too, so the styles/colors weren't too far behind all of the other great styles and colors they're coming out with.

When you unzip the Coach bag, if it smells, it's a knock-off for sure!!!

Good luck!

I have to agree that it is best to get your Coach purse at the outlet in San Juan. It is on Calle Cristo street I believe. Larger store in comparison to St. Thomas. Although the bags might be from last season, they are 20-30% off. Go when the ship docks. If you wait they will be picked over. I bought a bag that was marked down plus I got an additional 30% off of the markdown price. I must also say that there are knock off venders on the street with an assortment of labels. Have fun. Just got off the Crown on July 23rd and had a great time. :)

Don't buy a "knock-off"....get the real thing!

St. Thomas is an amazing place to shop. We bought a Rolex in St. Thomas that was $600.00 cheaper than in Switzerland!

Also, if you are a Llardo collector, they have some that you won't find in the States. And, they're cheaper.

Be a careful shopper. Shop in recommended stores. The cruiseline can direct you to shops that are very good! We were very happy with the selection and the prices in St. Thomas. ;)

St. Thomas has the best prices for Jewelry,makeup and perfume. That's what I buy when I'm there.

I love my tanzanite ring, my Feruad sapphires.... I'll be there when I get my Rolex... Oh, some day:)

Lauren

PS look for Oprah on the streets of st.thomas... The homeless man with the donkey.. he calls her OPrah.. has anyone ever seen her?

Are there any specialty stores for men in St. Thomas that I can go to? I'm hoping to get a really great gift for my boyfriend? I'm hoping to get him something that is under $100, not a clothing (I always get his sizes wrong :p ), alcohol and cigars are out, he doesn't favor any type of jewelry, and hates knick-knacks. So PICKY! I appreciate any suggestions!:)

Oh! No! I think I spelled Llardro wrong, before.....you know what I meant?

I bought my son, who is also very picky....the best sun glasses in a shop, in St. Thomas. They were $75.00 and he wears them all the time!

You don't need a specific name of any shop....hit the main drag and go into all of them...you can't miss!

There's so much to see and so much to buy and so little time to do it in!!!.....have fun!!!!!

Oh! No! I think I spelled Llardro wrong, before.....you know what I meant?

I bought my son, who is also very picky....the best sun glasses in a shop, in St. Thomas. They were $75.00 and he wears them all the time!

You don't need a specific name of any shop....hit the main drag and go into all of them...you can't miss!

There's so much to see and so much to buy and so little time to do it in!!!.....have fun!!!!!

Thanks! I'm so excited already! Food, beach and shopping - what more could a woman ask for!:D

Also, if you are a Llardo collector, they have some that you won't find in the States.

I'm sure you mean Lladro porcelain figurines, and, you're right, the selection and pricing is much better than anywhere in my neck of the woods - and we have a Lladro store at Somerset Collection mall in north-suburban Detroit.

I have purchased most of my 52 Lladros in the Caribbean - many at "Little Switzerland" in St. Thomas or other ports. I've also purchased a few on Princess ships as they have a nice collection and often very recent pieces that I'm looking for.

Chris

Chris: You're right....I forgot about that...the Princess collection of Lladro was really lovely....I must look for them when I'm on the Golden, in September!

I lost most of my collection, in a huge earthquake....I'm slowly replenishing it...and, using museum putty to hold them down!

I'm sure you mean Lladro porcelain figurines, and, you're right, the selection and pricing is much better than anywhere in my neck of the woods - and we have a Lladro store at Somerset Collection mall in north-suburban Detroit.

I have purchased most of my 52 Lladros in the Caribbean - many at "Little Switzerland" in St. Thomas or other ports. I've also purchased a few on Princess ships as they have a nice collection and often very recent pieces that I'm looking for.

Chris

What is the price range for Lladros in the Carribbean? My boyfriend has two of them and it might be a good gift as long as it's under $100.

What is the price range for Lladros in the Carribbean? My boyfriend has two of them and it might be a good gift as long as it's under $100.

The Princess gift shop sometimes offers Lladros on sale but they will be mostly seasonal pieces (or pieces that are about to be retired) and won't sell otherwise (i.e. holiday-themed ornaments, angels, etc.). If you're not picky about a particular must-have figurine, you might find something in your price range in one of the island shops that carry Lladro. Don't confuse this with Nao figurines that resemble Lladro but are not the real thing.

I can personally recommend "Little Switzerland" as that is where I have purchased most of my Lladros on various Caribbean islands.

Chris

I lost most of my collection, in a huge earthquake....I'm slowly replenishing it...and, using museum putty to hold them down!

Ouch! That is terrible. I broke one figurine several years ago and decided to have my collection insured after that. I was able to replace the broken figurine through a woman in FL who buys/sells "retired" Lladro. Here's the link:

http://www.aretiredcollection.com/

Chris

Ohhh and the Jewelry at Little Switzerland is beautiful...

How old is your Bf?

CuriousCat

He's 40 :) . Wow, Chris, I just checked your link and did not realize how expensive these Lladros are!

Archived