Docking in Puerto Rico

mpen

We're leaving on the Freedom on Sunday and I just wonder where does it dock? Is it at the old San Juan dock or at the Pan American dock?

If at the Pan American, does anyone knows how much a taxi would cost to El Morro?

Thank you :D

We're leaving on the Freedom on Sunday and I just wonder where does it dock? Is it at the old San Juan dock or at the Pan American dock?

If at the Pan American, does anyone knows how much a taxi would cost to El Morro?

Thank you :D

Shouldn't it say in your cruise docs which pier you go from? It does in mine, about 1/2 way through the book. Even gives directons from the airport which I thought was a nice touch....

You should be docking at Pier 4. Usually only the ships that leave from San Juan leave from Pan American. If you dock at the old pier, you can either walk (although a hike), take the trolley, or a cab. My DH loves that fort. Coming back is almost all downhill, so maybe catch a cab or trolley over and walk back and enjoy the views.

From what I have read on the boards, Freedom usually docks in old San Juan (downtown). the Adventure docks at the Pan-American pier, a short distance away (if you want to swim across the harbor). AOS does turn around in San Juan. It would be about a 10 minute taxi ride, depending on the traffic, from Pan-American to Old San Juan.

HYpo

I don't know your age or mobility but El Morro is an easy stroll from the Old San Juan pier with plenty of time for shopping, eating, on the way back.

Also, make sure to go to the Barrachini restuarant website (home of the pina colada~) and print out the free pina colada~ coupon, it was absolutely wonderful!

Jodie

I don't know your age or mobility but El Morro is an easy stroll from the Old San Juan pier with plenty of time for shopping, eating, on the way back.

Also, make sure to go to the Barrachini restuarant website (home of the pina colada~) and print out the free pina colada~ coupon, it was absolutely wonderful!

Jodie

I got the spelling wrong it's Barrachina and I just checked their website and they no longer have the free coupon. It's still worth stopping in though just to get one. Website is http://www.barrachina.com:)

Jodie

Pan American is used by ships doing embarkation ( For RCL AOS weekly & Empress weekdays) cause they need the check in facilities, ships just docking for the day use the piers further down cause they just need the walkway. Old San Juan in above you and a bit of a stroll uphill and then the fort. It's not a bad hike but if it was me I'd take the Cab to the fort and then consider walking back, if you get tired wave down a Cab.

thanks for the info on the voucher and yes it is still available

Oh cool!

Another tip on the voucher. You can't just print out more than one copy of the voucher for two people. We tried this and they said that each person has to have their own voucher emailed to them to receive it.

The restaurant itself also looked very very good! It was late in the evening when we stopped in and we didn't have time to dine but I would like to eat there next time, great ambiance.

Enjoy!

We were in San Juan a few weeks ago on Liberty OTS. They told us that San Juan revised a docking area specifically for the Freedom class ships, due to their size. It is the only place they can dock, and it is in Old San Juan.

Word of caution. Watch out for the sidewalks in the shopping area. They are missing bricks and stones, and you could trip and fall very easily. Also, I would advise against taking the horse and buggy tours. We did it on a whim, and were scared witless! Our driver went right thru a red light, with 3 lanes of traffic heading towards us (they have some crazy drivers in that city, too!). The buggy kept listing to the side, and the driver mentioned something needing to be repaired. After the red light incident, I asked the driver to pull over and let us out....we were done with his tour as far as I was concerned! My 19 yr old son barely got off the carriage when the guy took off! Never again!

The national park fort was nice to walk thru, but if you are docking at 3:00, like we did, you need to get up there quickly, as they close at 5:00 on the dot. The shopping district is a short walk downhill from the fort. We had planned to eat in one of the restaurants there, but decided to return to the ship for dinner. San Juan was not one of our favorite ports. IMO it is dirty, crowded and I wouldn't want to be walking around there after dark. There were three ships docked when we were there, and it was crowded shopping, however the shopkeepers seemed totally bored. Just my opinion...others may have better reports.

Archived