Anyone Recently Back From Paradise

letscruisegd

I'm looking at going on the Paradise probably sometime in September or October and I'm trying to find out as much info as I can. A couple of things I would like to know:

1. Did anyone experience priority boarding? If so how was it? I had a great experience in Miami but I've read that it's hit or miss in some of the other ports.

2. Does anyone have the capers? I'm usually able to locate fairly recent capers but I haven't been able to for the Paradise. I know the activities are basically the same on each ship but I would still like to see the capers to see if the live bands are any I've seen (and enjoyed) before.

Thanks and 'happy cruisin' :)

I was on in April. Is that recent enough? Our friends did priority boarding, it sounded as if it was pretty easy. I have to tell you though, we were on in 15 minutes! We've been on the ship 3 other times & it was never this easy (got there about noon). I don't have a scanner but I do have Capers - the bands are (were then) Versatile (calypso), Empire trio(classical),luigi(piano), Blood Power(partymusic) Randy(fun tunes)Barry (piano bar) Lowell Sanders, & Merle Hobbs seem to be the comedians every time, & magic is Bobby Borgia. Don't know what else I can tell you- great ship, we'll be on her again in Dec.

We were on Paradise in May and had priority boarding and had a bit of a problem there. My traveling companion is Platinum and I wasnt so her Sign & Sail was there in VIP and mine wasnt. So we had to wait for our agent to go run out to the regular lines and find my card. Minor problem but it delayed us. Also when we arrived at about 12:30 there were several other people waiting already in VIP and only the 1-2 agents working, so had to wait again. My advice is to go earlier say 11:30 or wait until 1:30 or after.

Sorry didnt keep the Capers...but I wish you a great cruise!!

victory2020 - Thanks for listing the entertainment. I've read some positive things about Blood Power so I may finally get a chance to check them out. It would be wonderful if I can get on the ship in as little as 15 minutes.

Ashleezmom - Thanks for the heads up on a good time to arrive.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide this information. I'm looking forward to having a wonderful cruise. Now I just need to figure out where to stay pre-cruise. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

We got off the 4 day Paradise cruise last week. On Monday, we got to the port around 2:30. There was a huge line to check in luggage, but one of the port employees told us we could probably carry on our luggage, so we did that. Yes, my suitcase must be checked on a plane, but it did fit in the scanner machines, so I could bring it on myself. At that time there was no one in VIP boarding, so my sister and her husband were taken care of by one agent, my girls and I by the other. Time from pulling into the parking garage to stateroom, about 15 minutes. And I even got my picture taken, several times. However, others on that same cruise said when they arrived the VIP room was packed. I don't know what time that was.

Getting off, if you are VIP and taking your own luggage, was also fast. We were outside the Carnival terminal heading for the parking garage at 7am. Again, I heard if you weren't VIP, and got off later immigration was backed up inside the terminal.

We got off the 4 day Paradise cruise last week.

Thanks for the info. Did you happen to keep your capers? Just wondering if the entertainment list (from victory2020) is still current. If so, what are your thoughts on Blood Power, the classical trio and the calypso band?

Now I just need to figure out where to stay pre-cruise. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

We have sailed out of Long Beach twice and both times have stayed at the Long Beach Hilton. It is a very nice hotel and both times we got the rooms for $90 per night on Priceline. Retail is around $290.

We have sailed out of Long Beach twice and both times have stayed at the Long Beach Hilton. It is a very nice hotel and both times we got the rooms for $90 per night on Priceline. Retail is around $290.

Thanks for the info. Do they provide shuttle service to/from the airport or the port? If they don't provide shuttle service, can you tell me the cost of a taxi? I haven't decided whether I'm flying into LAX or LGB. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before making a final decision.

Again, I heard if you weren't VIP, and got off later immigration was backed up inside the terminal.

Some friends and I will be leaving on the Paradise for a 4-day cruise on August 20. This is our first time with Carnival and we're looking forward to it! :D

My concern now is, after reading the above, will we have enough time to make our flight that leaves out of LAX at 11:45am? When I took my first cruise last Fall, from Miami to the Bahamas, it took us no more than 15-20 minutes to get from stateroom to curbside at the end of the trip (Immigration just waved us through, not even bothering to check the forms we had to fill out). Also, I figured it might take an hour (if traffic is bad) to get from the port terminal to the airport... does that sound about right? And, does anyone have an idea how much it might cost for a cab? It's got to be cheaper than Carnival's per-person shuttle price (there are 3 of us).

Thanks for any help or advice! Happy Cruising!

SeaMeSmile, If you opt to carry all of your own luggage off of the ship, you will probably be able to get off fairly early. I haven't sailed the Paradise yet (I'm sailing the same time you are) but I just got off of the Pride a few weeks ago, and that is the same port. We were off the ship and on our way before 8:00. The line looked bad for customs but it only took about 10 minutes.

The other option is that you can get earlier tags from the purser's desk if you show them your plane tickets...but I don't know what the cutoff time is for what they consider an "early" flight.

Sorry, but I don't know about the cost of a cab.

Thanks for the info. Do they provide shuttle service to/from the airport or the port? If they don't provide shuttle service, can you tell me the cost of a taxi? I haven't decided whether I'm flying into LAX or LGB. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before making a final decision.

They don't have a shuttle for either the airport or the port. However, a taxi to the port from the hotel was less than $10. From the airport we took one of the shared airport shuttles that I'm thinking was maybe $15 per person?

There is a great area within walking distance of the Hilton called "The Pike". There are shops, restaurants, entertainment, a Ferris Wheel, etc. that are very nice.

Now if I can figure out how to get them on here! Any suggestions? Did the carry off your own luggage thing on Monday morning (3 day cruise in March 07), hmmm, not a very pleasant event... very chaotic and you have to wait in the hallways... doesn't help that I tend to get claustaphobic... If Karl with a K is still cruise director you will have fun. He was a blast.

Some friends and I will be leaving on the Paradise for a 4-day cruise on August 20. This is our first time with Carnival and we're looking forward to it! :D

My concern now is, after reading the above, will we have enough time to make our flight that leaves out of LAX at 11:45am? When I took my first cruise last Fall, from Miami to the Bahamas, it took us no more than 15-20 minutes to get from stateroom to curbside at the end of the trip (Immigration just waved us through, not even bothering to check the forms we had to fill out). Also, I figured it might take an hour (if traffic is bad) to get from the port terminal to the airport... does that sound about right? And, does anyone have an idea how much it might cost for a cab? It's got to be cheaper than Carnival's per-person shuttle price (there are 3 of us).

Thanks for any help or advice! Happy Cruising!

Make sure you tell Purser's office about early flight. You'll encounter traffic on Fri, plus Fri airport traffic. LAX can be busy through security.

Hey y'all, my gf and I are sailing on Paradise on Labor Day, and are wondering if any hotels besides Renaissance's expensive Park and Sail package? We need a room for the night before we sail, and a place to leave our car for the week. Any info is appreciated!

I was on Paradise 2 weeks ago for the 4-day cruise.. It was my 2nd time on the ship within 18 months.. I have one compliant the enterainments "shows" and the magic show WAS same as Jan 2006.. Everything else was great..

NEXT CRUISE IS PRIDE OR SPIRIT..

Hey y'all, my gf and I are sailing on Paradise on Labor Day, and are wondering if any hotels besides Renaissance's expensive Park and Sail package? We need a room for the night before we sail, and a place to leave our car for the week. Any info is appreciated!

You could stay at Queen mary hotel.. Its next to the Carnival cruise terminal. You can check in on QM.

cb06: Thanks for the idea, though I forgot to mention: My gf doesn't want to stay at QM because she believes the reports that she's haunted. I don't particularly care, but we all know who's the boss in this case. We'll be boarding early because gf's cousin is getting married aboard Paradise, so early check-in won't be necessary.

Anyone else have suggestions?

They don't have a shuttle for either the airport or the port. However, a taxi to the port from the hotel was less than $10. From the airport we took one of the shared airport shuttles that I'm thinking was maybe $15 per person?

There is a great area within walking distance of the Hilton called "The Pike". There are shops, restaurants, entertainment, a Ferris Wheel, etc. that are very nice.

Thanks a lot. This info helped me make a decision. Looks like I'll be flying into LGB.

Now if I can figure out how to get them on here! Any suggestions? If Karl with a K is still cruise director you will have fun. He was a blast.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for getting the capers on here. I've read positive things about Karl with a K. It would be nice to get to see him.

I was on Paradise 2 weeks ago for the 4-day cruise.. It was my 2nd time on the ship within 18 months.. I have one compliant the enterainments "shows" and the magic show WAS same as Jan 2006.. Everything else was great..

I asked another recent Paradise cruiser this on an earlier post but didn't get a response. Can't hurt to ask again. Is the entertainment list (from victory2020) is still current. If so, what are your thoughts on Blood Power, the classical trio and the calypso band? Even if the list isn't the same, what are your thoughts on the classical trio and the calypso band?

Long Beach Port is very easy... And the Paradise Cruise is a very laid back one, not too many excursions tho.... But its a very nice cruise. If you get there about 1:30pm, you can walk right in very quik. Don't know about priority boarding, unless your platinum... But I do know the way it works there is first handicapped persons thru first, then platinum, then the first line then second line.........

I'm looking at going on the Paradise probably sometime in September or October and I'm trying to find out as much info as I can. A couple of things I would like to know:

1. Did anyone experience priority boarding? If so how was it? I had a great experience in Miami but I've read that it's hit or miss in some of the other ports.

2. Does anyone have the capers? I'm usually able to locate fairly recent capers but I haven't been able to for the Paradise. I know the activities are basically the same on each ship but I would still like to see the capers to see if the live bands are any I've seen (and enjoyed) before.

Thanks and 'happy cruisin' :)

Thanks so much for the tip on inquiring at the Purser's office, Loves2relax and Victory2020! Being such a cruising newbie, I never would have thought of that... Thank goodness for this board! :p

BTW, Loves2relax, perhaps we'll bump into each other like..... well.... like two ships passing in the night, LOL. :D

The Guest House International Inn & Suites. They don't ADVERTISE their park & sail package, but they do have one. I found out about it on the West Coast Departures Board, and stayed there before our Pride cruise. It's not fancy, but it's clean, has great service, and free parking for the week and free shuttle to and from the pier (about a 15 minute ride). They also have a free continental breakfast in their lobby which was very nice (it included fresh-made belgian waffles which my 6-year-old loved, and fresh fruit, as well as all the other normal stuff). One tip: DON'T use Mapquest to get directions there - use any other map software, but Mapquest will get you LOST.

Have a great trip!

Long Beach Port is very easy... And the Paradise Cruise is a very laid back one, not too many excursions tho.... But its a very nice cruise. If you get there about 1:30pm, you can walk right in very quik. Don't know about priority boarding, unless your platinum... But I do know the way it works there is first handicapped persons thru first, then platinum, then the first line then second line.........

Thanks for the info...a laid back cruise is exactly what I need this time around. I'm platinum so if it happens to be a line when I get there, it looks like I should still board fairly quickly.

Can anyone give any feedback on the clasical trio or the calypso band (or any other live music)? I prefer live music so I usually make a point to spend time listening the all of the live music onboard. Just trying to get a heads up as to how good (or not so good) they are.

Try the Coast -- v. close to the pier. they let you park there, too while you are on your cruise.

Sometimes they have the pre recorded crap going on, its chessey, it should be a band. But, sometimes they do have live music while at sea.... But for me, when I board, I want to see and hear a live band playing, puts you in a good mood right off the bat.

Maybe sometimes they have the band members on board early, maybe sometimes they don't ?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info...a laid back cruise is exactly what I need this time around. I'm platinum so if it happens to be a line when I get there, it looks like I should still board fairly quickly.

Can anyone give any feedback on the clasical trio or the calypso band (or any other live music)? I prefer live music so I usually make a point to spend time listening the all of the live music onboard. Just trying to get a heads up as to how good (or not so good) they are.

Archived