Review Pride of America 6/23/07

CKM

Well, I have time to think about this cruise. We had a wonderful time, althought there were some things that were not so wonderful.

Embarkation was fast and painless. Boarded hungary, looked for food, no buffet.

Sunday, 6/24 excursion-Kilauea volcano Biking: bike down the volcano, great trip wonderful guide (Steve).

Monday, 6/25 excursions West Maui-Molokai Air Tour: Me:disappointed that I was put in the middle, couldn't take pictures. Had someones husband on one side, his wife on other, had someones husband in front, his wife in front and pilot. When I got home, I emailed a complaint: they sent me a free dvd of my flight. That was cool.

My husband played golf @ Wailea-Emerald course. He had a great time.

Tuesday, 6/26 excursion Rainforest and Waterfall Hike: we had a great time, swam in pool under a waterfall. So awesome.

Wednesday, 6/27 excursion Black Sand Snorkel & Beach: Great snorkeling, fun beach, all is good.

Thursday, 6/28 excursions- Me: Kauai Horseback Riding: great horse (Walker)beautiful, views were awesome. A little slow at times,caused by a kid.

Husband golfed again: he had sign up for Princeville resort-Prince course but there was no one else playing that day so he had to change to The Lagoons golf course. He had a great time.

That evening we attended the Luau Kalamaku: this was great performance and the food was equally great.

Friday, 6/29 excursion couldn't tube the ditch so we did the mudbug Buggy. This was fun, my husband drove, I rode. This was fun but it was more of a dustbugging. There had been no rain, so no mud. But it was fun anyway.

Saturday, 6/30 rented a car. Debarkation was sooth. Had breakfast first, then got off the ship. Was taken to the airport, was able to check our bags, then picked up the car. Drove around Honolulu.:confused:

Now as far as the service on the ship: the first day I had heard that when that they docked that Saturday, 6/23 50 of their employees got off and didn't return. Our cabin was not really clean, I don't even know if our sheets had been changed (oooh). Next day it was cleaned and was told there would be someone else taking care of our cabin. He was Artoro. He was very good. Always checked to see if there was any thing we needed. We left him an extra tip.:D

Wait service had its ups and downs but we didn't hang on to those and had a great cruise. the islands were wonderful and this was the best way to see them. Now that there are overnight stays, you can see more and do more, and not be so rushed.:eek:

So, if your looking to see Hawaii, this is the cruise for you. Just stay busy, as we did, and everything will be fine.

Happy cruising!!!

CKM:)

Well, I have time to think about this cruise. We had a wonderful time, althought there were some things that were not so wonderful.

Embarkation was fast and painless. Boarded hungary, looked for food, no buffet.

Sunday, 6/24 excursion-Kilauea volcano Biking: bike down the volcano, great trip wonderful guide (Steve).

Monday, 6/25 excursions West Maui-Molokai Air Tour: Me:disappointed that I was put in the middle, couldn't take pictures. Had someones husband on one side, his wife on other, had someones husband in front, his wife in front and pilot. When I got home, I emailed a complaint: they sent me a free dvd of my flight. That was cool.

My husband played golf @ Wailea-Emerald course. He had a great time.

Tuesday, 6/26 excursion Rainforest and Waterfall Hike: we had a great time, swam in pool under a waterfall. So awesome.

Wednesday, 6/27 excursion Black Sand Snorkel & Beach: Great snorkeling, fun beach, all is good.

Thursday, 6/28 excursions- Me: Kauai Horseback Riding: great horse (Walker)beautiful, views were awesome. A little slow at times,caused by a kid.

Husband golfed again: he had sign up for Princeville resort-Prince course but there was no one else playing that day so he had to change to The Lagoons golf course. He had a great time.

That evening we attended the Luau Kalamaku: this was great performance and the food was equally great.

Friday, 6/29 excursion couldn't tube the ditch so we did the mudbug Buggy. This was fun, my husband drove, I rode. This was fun but it was more of a dustbugging. There had been no rain, so no mud. But it was fun anyway.

Saturday, 6/30 rented a car. Debarkation was sooth. Had breakfast first, then got off the ship. Was taken to the airport, was able to check our bags, then picked up the car. Drove around Honolulu.:confused:

Now as far as the service on the ship: the first day I had heard that when that they docked that Saturday, 6/23 50 of their employees got off and didn't return. Our cabin was not really clean, I don't even know if our sheets had been changed (oooh). Next day it was cleaned and was told there would be someone else taking care of our cabin. He was Artoro. He was very good. Always checked to see if there was any thing we needed. We left him an extra tip.:D

Wait service had its ups and downs but we didn't hang on to those and had a great cruise. the islands were wonderful and this was the best way to see them. Now that there are overnight stays, you can see more and do more, and not be so rushed.:eek:

So, if your looking to see Hawaii, this is the cruise for you. Just stay busy, as we did, and everything will be fine.

Happy cruising!!!

CKM:)

Thanks for the reveiw. WE will be on 8/18/07.

You mentioned the buffet was not open when you got on the ship. Was there anywhere else to grab something to eat, or should we plan on getting on the ship full.

Thanks

Seems as though NCL's have always had food upon arrival out on the pool area. I also heard that the pool closes at 7 - seems funny when it is in port??? Is that true - and no chcoloate buffet. Going with some friends who haven't cruised before and we keep mentioning all the normal cruising things. Hope this trip doesn't prove us wrong. You mentioned to keep busy - how about just relaxing pool side or on a beach some days - Thanks.

The only thing that would really bother me would be if the sheets on the bed had not been changed!!! :eek: If that happened to me, I would camp out at the purser's/reception desk until they were changed!!! Though because DH is diabetic, I'll make sure we come prepared with snacks so he doesn't pass out. Thanks for the information. :)

Maybe there was no buffet because of the 50 ppl not coming back. I was on the July 7th sailing and got on the ship very quickly and had eaten before 1:00...I found on this cruise,I was so busy off the ship that I went to my cabin and crashed :) Several times my sweet cabin girl would knock on the door and ask me if I would like a turn down service..or even towel animals..LOL..since I was already in bed,I just asked for plain towels:) I think I went to trivia about 3 or 4 times,and that was it! No shows,nothing. I loved Hawaii! Dot

Sorry you didn't get to eat in the buffet. You must of boarded between 4 and 5 because that's the only time the buffet was closed till 9pm, an hour after sailing.

Hi James~

Looking forward to seeing you on the ship in a few weeks (8/18). Is the buffet usually closed at this time? Do you know what time boarding normally begins?

Thanks for your help!:)

Hi James~

Looking forward to seeing you on the ship in a few weeks (8/18). Is the buffet usually closed at this time? Do you know what time boarding normally begins?

Thanks for your help!:)

The buffet will be open from noon till 9pm, with a one hour break from 4pm till 5pm during pax drill and to change it over for dinner.

I have a few questions if you don't mine.

excursion Rainforest and Waterfall Hike: we had a great time, swam in pool under a waterfall. So awesome. Wednesday, 6/27 excursion Black Sand Snorkel & Beach: Great snorkeling, fun beach, all is good.

Were these booked with NCL?

We want to HBR did you do this with NCL or on your own? How long was it?

We plan to tube the ditch why couldn't you do it? Was it booked or the weather?

Saturday, 6/30 rented a car. Debarkation was sooth. Had breakfast first, then got off the ship. Was taken to the airport, was able to check our bags, then picked up the car. Drove around Honolulu.

What time was your flight? Ours is at 10:30pm and we don't think the airport will let us drop off that early.

Judy,I know you were not asking me,but I was just on the POA 7/07,and we had a 9:35pm flight.We took the Circle Tour thru NCL with a 6pm drop off at the airport. It was great! We really enjoyed it.From what I recall,it was one of the longest tours with an airport drop off. You had to have a flight after 8pm to do it,and you cant book these tours till you board the ship. We went down after lunch and stood in line about 5 mins and booked it. I will say this,I dont know if this is usually practice,but there was very little open when we got to the airport after 6.I had heard what a great airport it was,and it appeared to be,but nothing was open at 6pm on a saturday night! I sat next to a family that had been on our ship,and they took a PH tour with a drop off at 2pm,and they said nothing was open when they arrived. I found this hard to believe and dont know if its the normal for a saturday.Guess they didnt need our money:). Enjoy! Dot

Thanks DOT. You would think with most of the east coast flights being late they would have everything open as many will be there waiting. Go figure.

There's no way I'm wasting a day in Hawaii sitting at an airport we are either renting a car for the day or doing a long tour, I'm thinking about the Grand Finale as our flight leaves late enough.

I didn't know you couldn't book these tours ahead, thanks for the top.

Thanks DOT. You would think with most of the east coast flights being late they would have everything open as many will be there waiting. Go figure.

There's no way I'm wasting a day in Hawaii sitting at an airport we are either renting a car for the day or doing a long tour, I'm thinking about the Grand Finale as our flight leaves late enough.

I didn't know you couldn't book these tours ahead, thanks for the top.

Yeah,can you imagine getting there at 2 in the afternoon and everything still being closed. That would have made for a VERY long day!

I tried to book the Best of Oahu Grand Finale,and thats when I found out that they would not let you book those last day tours with airport transfer until you actually got on the ship. Then I started thinking that was a 12 hr tour and I was afraid that would be too much time for me to sit (have rods in my back from surgery),so I went with the 8 hr tour instead (Grand Circle Island Tour). It was great! Im not sure if all the drivers are like the one we had,we would have a certain amount of time at each stop,and if we didnt want to stay as long at that stop,he added that time onto a stop that we wante more time at. We enjoyed him and the tour! Wish I was planning my trip again! Have a great cruise! Dot

How formal is Formal Night on POAm? DH would prefer not to bring a suit or jacket. Have read Hawaaian shirts are as formal as it gets..true?

Its a wide range but its more casual then a typical cruise's formal night, even a little more then a typical NCL freestyle cruise. Your DH doesnt need to bring one as formal night is optional to dress up or not.

Thanks for the reveiw. WE will be on 8/18/07.

You mentioned the buffet was not open when you got on the ship. Was there anywhere else to grab something to eat, or should we plan on getting on the ship full.

Thanks

I have a feeling the OP might of walked onto the outside deck of the buffet, and thought that was the main buffet area (that part is only open for breakfasts and lunch on friday, and becomes little Italy's kitchen at night. The buffet was 150% open because I was working in it and it was crazy!

When you get onto the ship you have a few options to eat. The buffet is open from noon till 4pm, then closes till 5pm for dinner and remains open till 9pm. During the hour it closes between 4 and 5 is the lifeboat drill so nothing will be open. Before and after the pax drill, Cadillac diner, key west bar and grill, and Skyline main restaurant will be open. Lots of food available!

How formal is Formal Night on POAm? DH would prefer not to bring a suit or jacket. Have read Hawaaian shirts are as formal as it gets..true?

There are no formal nights aboard NCL ships anymore. What used to be called "optional formal" night is now just "dress up" night. Per NCL's FAQ:

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times.

Even jeans are allowed every night, except for just one restaurant.

DH has been buying Hawaiian shirts since we booked this cruise. I think he has enough to change twice a day! He says he will not pack his suit for Hawaii. I guess no formal night picture for us! :)

What type of food does the Key West grill serve?

Here's a list of the restaurants aboard the Pride of America.

Skyline Dining Room (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Liberty Dining Room (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

East Meets West

Cuisine: Japanese, Thai, Chinese (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 plus tax per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Jefferson's Bistro

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 plus tax per person

Lazy J's Texas Steakhouse

Cuisine: Upscale Steakhouse

Surcharge: Yes, $15 plus tax per person

Cadillac Diner

Cuisine: 50's-style diner

Aloha Café

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, including a kid-sized buffet area

Little Italy

Cuisine: Italian

Key West Bar & Grill

Cuisine: Grill Food (Hamburgers and other Fast Foods)

I've been reading these posts and they have been very helpful! My DH and I are going to be on POA on 8/18 and it's been years since I've been on a cruise (he's never been!!), so I'm just trying to get re-acclimated. We were supposed to go on a NCL cruise to Europe in August, but DH waited too long to book and they only had inside cabins left -- for more $$ than outside cabins were a short 3 weeks ago!! So we opted for Hawaii instead.

I had read on a separates post that someone opted to rent a car at each port instead of doing the excursions through NCL -- does this sound like it's better in that we could see more things and be on our own in terms of time and how much we want to do? Or is this too complicated?

Also, what is the suggested time that we should plan on boarding the ship?

Thanks for any info!

Jill

I've been reading these posts and they have been very helpful! My DH and I are going to be on POA on 8/18 and it's been years since I've been on a cruise (he's never been!!), so I'm just trying to get re-acclimated. We were supposed to go on a NCL cruise to Europe in August, but DH waited too long to book and they only had inside cabins left -- for more $$ than outside cabins were a short 3 weeks ago!! So we opted for Hawaii instead.

I had read on a separates post that someone opted to rent a car at each port instead of doing the excursions through NCL -- does this sound like it's better in that we could see more things and be on our own in terms of time and how much we want to do? Or is this too complicated?

Also, what is the suggested time that we should plan on boarding the ship?

Thanks for any info!

Jill

You can board after noonish but I would wait till about 2-3. As far as renting a car some ports that would be fine but it also depends on where you want to go. If your going on the road to Hana, you might like to view the flowers and take pics then be driving on the road and pass up a lot of the sights etc.

We were on the 7/07 POA,and we boarded noonish and had finished eating by 1pm! All went smooth! We didnt elect to rent a car as my hubby wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the cruise too,and I must admit,I would have been a nervous wreck with him driving the Road To Hana. We took the Ehaki Tours for this,and also for the Haleakala Sunrise Tour. These vans only hold 12 ppl so it was great! A lot of ppl do rent cars,but guess thats up to the driver! I did see a woman and her daughter that had a pretty scary accident on The Road To Hana..they were ok,but their car wheel was dangling over the side of the road,and it was a very long drop down! The passenger had to climb out the drivers side! If you do drive yourself,I would suggst you buy or go to your library and get the Revealed books. They are very detailed and great if your driving yourself. Have a wonderful trip,we did! Dot

Archived