Shopping near the port?

Casey2

We will be in Puerto Limon in December. We have a tour booked with Charlie Soto. After the tour we would like to do some shopping. Is there shopping near the port? Is it safe to venture out on our own?

We will be in Puerto Limon in December. We have a tour booked with Charlie Soto. After the tour we would like to do some shopping. Is there shopping near the port? Is it safe to venture out on our own?

Hello,

There is a vendor area near the pier which you can purchase coffee, vanila, T-shirts, wooden stuffs etc.

If you have a tour booked with Charlie Soto, at the end of the tour, just ask him to take to some local store in town. Stuffs are cheaper in town than at the pier. Their town is very safe. I had walked to town to purchase coffee from one of their supermarket both time I was in Puerto Limon.

Costa Rica has a very good coffee and vanila (if you like baking). Making good souvenir.

We had a fabulous time in Costa Rica and our tour operator, Lester from Oregon Tours, took us to a grocery store not far from the pier and we bought Oro coffee, which is what I believe the locals drink. Lester referred to the vanilla as cake something but the bottle that we bought says Vainol in big letters and Ancla in smaller letters.

Have a great trip!

ChattTenn:

What brand of coffee did you buy at the grocery store? I know alot of people mention Cafe Britt but you can buy that on line. Thanks for the info

Hello,

We bought 1820 coffee and Doka Estate (Costa Rica best) from the grocery store in town. They probably have them at the pier side by now.

1820 recommended by a local person and is cheaper than Cafe Britt. Doka I found out from a gourme magazine is more expensive than Cafe Britt. The local store also has Cafe Britt.

I know one of my co-workers puchases Cafe Britt on line. She likes it so much no other coffee will do therefore every so often she would order some.

• 1 month later...

ChattTenn is correct-Charlie (or his guide) will take you to the local grocery store. We just returned from Port Limon and bought coffee for $2 (1.1 pound bag) and vanilla for $1.40 (240 ml). I felt very safe, and they take American dollars.

I also just returned from Limon and did the tour w/ Charlie Soto. Your tour guide will take you into a grocery store where the locals shop and straight to the coffee and vanilla aisle. I purchased both the 1820 and Britt. I had many people back home request coffee and vanilla. I purchased 12 various types and sizes of coffee as well as 10 bottles of vanilla for $41.00. I thought that was quite a good deal as i noticed in the market at the port the same coffee I purchase for about $1.50 per bag was 2 fo $5. When you get back to the port there is a small market place set up. There you can find post cards, t-shirts, jewelry, crafts and things made by local artisans. I was actually surprised by the market and the great things I was able to purchase. Make sure to bargain for your prices in the market, you will be surprised how low they will go! Beyond the port there are some stores and shopping but I don't know how comfortable I would feel venturing out there alone and also not really sure what you would find. Stick with Charlie and the market in the port and you will feel satisfied w/ your Costa Rican shopping!

Sammienole,

What else did you do on your tour with Charlie and what did you enjoy most? Did you do the A-1 or A-2 tour?

Thanks!

Nancy

I definately enjoyed my tour w/ Charlie Soto. We did the A-1 tour. We had tour guide Ray and driver Franklin. I first must say they were both so kind an made us feel so safe and taken care of the entire day. We first took a scenic drive along the coast to the Del Monte banana plantation. Along the way we stopped and Franklin bought us delicous bananas from a roadside stand. Also the whole time while he drove he kept and eye out for sloths and monkeys and other creatures. While we never really saw any the effort was there. At Del Monte Ray described the process and let us spend time viewing how everything works. Next we went to the canals for our canal boat ride. Again our guide on the canal was constantly on the look out for animals. We saw many various birds and iguanas, a couple of sloths and a baby crocodile. Next we went to Bonita Beach to have lunch. Lunch was free of charge if you chose a "traditional" dish of rice and your choice of meat. It was very good, the restaurant was open-air with a fantastic view of the beach. From there he took us to the look out point were you could see over the whole city of Limon and take pictures. Finally we stopped at the local market. Ray was extremely intelligent and knowledgable and willing to answer any and all questions. We had a fantastic time and it was the highlight of my entire cruise.

Thanks so much for the information. This was very helpful! We are trying to decide whether or not to do the zipline. I am wondering how Charlie splits up groups for the A-1 and A-2 tours. How many were in your group, and did anyone in your group do the zipline?

Thank you again!

Nancy

Archived