Help me before I go crazy please!!!

calicruzr

Planning a cruise with my 3 brothers, their spouses and kids as well as mine. Also going is our mother and my brothers in laws. We can not come to an agreement as to what ship and itinerary. I love Carnival-one brother and wife want something slower like a HAL, another is fine with Carnival, the two of us having sailed on CCL prior and the other doesn't want all the formal atmosphere.. 3 boys going- 13,13,8 as well as an 18 yr old girl. My brothers and I are all in our 40's... Can someone please make a decision for me? Is there a good compromise? Has anyone had this challenge of trying to accomodate everyone's wish so they don't come back at you at the end? What to do..... Thank you in advance for any solutions. Planning on going the end of June 08.

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! Carnival has only one ship in Alaska, and it does one-way cruises between Vancouver and Whittier. Unless you plan to spend some time in Alaska before or after the cruise, you're looking at longer and more expensive flights for a lot of people.

HAL and Princess have the most ships in Alaska, but HAL is the itinerary winner on roundtrips. You might also look at NCL's ships which only do roundtrips out of Seattle or Vancouver. NCL will also be the least formal of the cruiselines going to Alaska. RCI has one ship each doing roundtrip cruises out of Seattle and Vancouver. Their ship out of Seattle (Rhapsody of the Seas) has the least impressive itinerary (in my opinion) of any ship out there.

We loved Anytime Dining on our one-way Princess cruise last month, but it wasn't any less formal than traditional dining. The dress code is the same in the dining rooms.

I'm in the process of planning for 2 people and coordinating that is enough. so good luck. My opinion you're planning it you pick what would be good to you and your family. If you have fn every 1 else will 2.

get priorities from every 1 is it glaciers, wildlife, history, relaxing cruise, this might help in your endevour.

Planning a cruise with my 3 brothers, their spouses and kids as well as mine. Also going is our mother and my brothers in laws. We can not come to an agreement as to what ship and itinerary. I love Carnival-one brother and wife want something slower like a HAL, another is fine with Carnival, the two of us having sailed on CCL prior and the other doesn't want all the formal atmosphere.. 3 boys going- 13,13,8 as well as an 18 yr old girl. My brothers and I are all in our 40's... Can someone please make a decision for me? Is there a good compromise? Has anyone had this challenge of trying to accomodate everyone's wish so they don't come back at you at the end? What to do..... Thank you in advance for any solutions. Planning on going the end of June 08.

Wow, how did you get in that position? You can't possibly win! Are they going to hold you responsible for every single thing that happens on the trip?

Sure, I'll be happy to make the decision for you! Then they can all be mad at me. Copy my picture and put it up for them to throw darts at!

HERE IT IS: http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=H816&tourCode=&date=0608&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=

Voyage of the Glaciers - Vancouver to WhittierThis itinerary features a 7-day cruise with ports of call in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway plus glacier-viewing in Glacier Bay National Park and College Fjord.

Ship: Sapphire Princess

Voyage Embarkation Port: Vancouver, British Columbia

Number of Days: 7 Days

Embarkation Date: Saturday, June 28, 2008

This is unquestionably the PERFECT cruise for your group! Now don't go asking me, "WHY?" You asked ME to make the decision for you, remember!

But, if you really want to know: This is an absolutely beautiful ship, with a marvelous kid's area. The ports are all the classic Alaska ports, and it inculdes Glacier Bay. Heading Northbound puts the glaciers at the end of the trip for a fitting capstone. The ship is more laid back and elegant than Carnival, but while it will have formal nights it is not as staid and formal as HAL. Seems to make all your difficult family members happy! OK, that's MHO! YMMV!

>:-)

Check our review and pics of Sapphire Princess to Alaska (on a slightly different itinerary) at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

First of all you want a kid friendly ship, then I would ask each family member what is important to them for this cruise. Then I would put all the ships in a hat that fits there request and have a neutral person pull out a name...:) For me it was the length of time in each port which is why I choose the Princess Coral northbound. Yes it is a 1 way, but I'm also getting to see Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver.

Good Luck and let us know what you all choose

It seems that Princess may be the compromise choice here. Having cruised before, I know what to expect and to not let one thing that goes wrong ruin your experience. I keep telling them we need to decide pretty quick or we will find ourselves bunking in the crew qtrs because all the rooms will be booked... :)

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement... especially the dart throwing.. that may work!:rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! Carnival has only one ship in Alaska, and it does one-way cruises between Vancouver and Whittier. Unless you plan to spend some time in Alaska before or after the cruise, you're looking at longer and more expensive flights for a lot of people.

HAL and Princess have the most ships in Alaska, but HAL is the itinerary winner on roundtrips. You might also look at NCL's ships which only do roundtrips out of Seattle or Vancouver. NCL will also be the least formal of the cruiselines going to Alaska. RCI has one ship each doing roundtrip cruises out of Seattle and Vancouver. Their ship out of Seattle (Rhapsody of the Seas) has the least impressive itinerary (in my opinion) of any ship out there.

We loved Anytime Dining on our one-way Princess cruise last month, but it wasn't any less formal than traditional dining. The dress code is the same in the dining rooms.

Carnival Spirit also does a few round trips out of Vancouver. The round trips are less expensive and more convenient for air. Carnival has great kids/teen programs, little bit larger staterooms - and you can be as formal or informal as you like.

Carnival Spirit also does a few round trips out of Vancouver. The round trips are less expensive and more convenient for air. Carnival has great kids/teen programs, little bit larger staterooms - and you can be as formal or informal as you like.

That's a good option for people who can travel in May or September. Unfortunately, that roundtrip isn't an option for a late June cruise.

Whatever ship you decide to book, DON'T try to get everyone to agree on excursions! Do what you want to do, and let others do the same.

Princess is probably going to be a great compromise choice for you. Alaska is pretty excursion and scenery intense to start with. Princess has great kids programs, lots of sailings to choose from, great itineraries, anytime dining which could work for a group such as yours - you can show up together or show up in smaller sub-groups.

Amenities on board are great, the atmosphere on board is relaxed, not frenetic, which you will appreciate if you spend 8 to 12 hours ashore.

Blame me.

Sapphire was a fantastic choice for our group of 4 - two older teens, two stuffy adults (:p ), for almost 3 weeks in May/June of this year.

Princess features scenic cruising in Glacier Bay on most of its itineraries. This is World Heritage Site - some are born to culture and some have it thrust upon them - thrust away. The kids should experience this - along with a lot of other stuff!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

that a lot of people..

i would, first, decide if you want a round-trip or a 1-way. round-trips are the easiest. 1-way are great if you are doing an extra landtour, before or after, in mainland alaska. if extra time is not available or you don't think that the long transfers are for you...look into roundtrips.

roundtrips leave from either vancouver or seattle. many will tell you that the views are better leaving from vancouver....i haven't done this yet.

seattle is very easy to leave from.

NCL does round-trips..i did it on the NCL star last year. but the route to take is the one the NCL pearl is doing. a nice route for 1st timers to alaska. plus it has the bowling alley, a good kids program and other activities for the family.

here's a link to a few of the ports:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_glacier_viewing.asp

i was reading your post and i felt like you were talking about me! i will be watching to see if you get it all settled.

i am traveling next summer and have my entire family counting on me to pick the perfect trip. every time i feel like i make a decision, something changes my mind!

the ncl pearl has a great itinerary, but i'm afraid it is too casual for those without kids. princess has great one-ways, but not round trips.

HELP!!

keep us posted with what you decide!

I can not thank you all enough for your input! I think I will let all my family know that they need to read all the threads... Reminds me of Dear Abbey! :o

Bucsfan-lol, when I read your dilema,I thought, wow, is it dejavu? Glad it isn't only me... I will keep everyone informed of what the decision is so hopefully I can help some others...

Can't wait to get past this so I can enjoy the thought of going.. And you are right. We will all figure out our own excursions.. Brilliant idea.

We just got back Saturday from Southbound on RCI Radiance of the Seas.

It was incredible. I really think that ship has something for everybody.

We didn't bring our kids (12-14) because we figured it was a more adult cruise. I was amazed at how many kids were on the ship from all age groups. All were incredibly well behaved.

I also didn't expect it to be a cruise with much nightlife. I figured an older crowd with everybody getting up early for excursions.

We were out until 2:00AM every night. We had a great time in the colony club (karaoke, battle of the sexes, quest) and also really enjoyed the piano bar. The piano player didn't just do show tunes, he made up all kinds of really funny songs and had us hysterical.

I'm don't know if it would be like that for every cruise. Maybe we just got really lucky. We loved the atmosphere on the ship so much that we're planning a Eastern Caribbean in March with the kids.

Bottom line, no matter which you pick you will all have an incredible time. Alaska was the most awesome place!!!

Andrea

i have only been on one cruise and that was on the island princess to alaska. it was absolutely wonderful, the ship is pristine clean, with lots of kids activities, a whole deck! and they have babysitting services onboard. anytime dining was wonderful and even the formal nights were not too over formal. i thought the itinerary and stops were terrific and so beautiful. the people that i met who had been on landtours with princess had only good things to say about the efficiency of how things were run.

Archived