Seafood restaurants near Olympic Fairmont in Seattle

sugcarol

Seems like one is right in the building - sort of on the outside edge. Then there is Ivar's a few blocks away on the waterfront, Fisherman's Catch is pretty good and has a great view of the Olympics. Steamers, any of Tom Douglas' three restaurants.

Bottom line - It will be hard to find a bad seafood restaurant in Seattle.

Seems like one is right in the building - sort of on the outside edge. Then there is Ivar's a few blocks away on the waterfront, Fisherman's Catch is pretty good and has a great view of the Olympics. Steamers, any of Tom Douglas' three restaurants.

Bottom line - It will be hard to find a bad seafood restaurant in Seattle.

Cruznut - My wife wants to go to Salty's on Alki pre-cruise in September. She remembers going there years ago and love the view. What are your thoughts on that? :confused:

Cruznut - My wife wants to go to Salty's on Alki pre-cruise in September. She remembers going there years ago and love the view. What are your thoughts on that? :confused:

Like Salty's. Always good meal and great views. You can take the water taxi from downtown waterfront. here is link to check hours of operation.

http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/oto/water_taxi.html

Salty's quality has gone down in the last few years. I say that quite sadly since it was a big part of the day-long engagement hijinks my wife and I had. (I ran her through a whole day of near misses, convincing her I was just being nice, before finally proposing at night; at Salty's we had dessert and I arranged for a good friend of ours to serenade us with her violin playing.) So I recommend against Salty's with a heavy heart. Concur with Costest that water taxi is a great way to get out there if you do go though, you do not need a car/taxi, particularly on Friday/Saturday nights.

For great water views and seafood, Ray's Boathouse in the Ballard area and Palisades in Magnolia are absolutely stellar (both not near the Olympic, but not a long cab ride). For just seafood, Schucker's is the place alluded to on the ground floor of the Fairmont Olympic, so you can't really get much closer to the hotel than that. Very tasty, and a bargain at lunchtime (like many of downtown Seattle's nicer restaurants). I'm also a huge fan of Etta's Seafood by Pike Place Market (a Tom Douglas restaurant), which is just a few block walk from the hotel.

If you're okay eating in chain restaurants on vacation, there are two McCormick and Schmick's locations within walking distance as well as an Oceanaire Seafood Room. Both are good, but not unique to Seattle. For me on vacation, I'd go with Schucker or Etta's by foot and Palisades if I were driving.

I used to travel quite a bit to Seattle for business and loved going out to Salty's. The view of the city is awesome!! Haven't been there in about 3 years so can't verify what previous poster said about the quality going down recently. Etta's is good as well. You could walk there from the Fairmont. Food at Oceanaire is really good but not as great atmosphere/view as some of the others.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Earth and Ocean" which is in the W hotel. I've not eaten there, but I'm sure my husband (Kamala, a few posts above) can attest to its greatness.

I have really been disappointed in Salty's food. We've been there when it's busy and when it's not, and had a bad meal and bad service both times. Fool me once...

I can't believe no one has recommended Elliot's Oyster House. It's easily my favorite restaurant in Seattle. While it's not particularly close to the Fairmont (I think it's still less than a mile away, however) it'd be worth a cab ride if you're not a walker. The food there is absolutely amazing, and no matter how many times I've been I've never been disappointed.

Well, I've been napping and planning instead of checking this thread! Still, you have gotten great information. Shuckers, Etta, Elliot's, Ray's, Anthony's and my old favorite, Ivar's are all great choices. Like the other natives, I can't recommend Salty's for the food, but for the view, sure.

Another option, eat on the waterfront and then take the BI Ferry round trip for a great view of Seattle.

The Bell Captain offered the Fairmont car to us for the trip to Etta's at Pike's Place just for the tip to the driver. Of course the driver was not busy that evening and we gave the Captain a good tip. Etta's was wonderful and the driver came back and picked us up when we called. Taxi's were plentiful all around the market and I don't imagine the cost would be too much, it is not far. Well worth the fare!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Earth and Ocean" which is in the W hotel. I've not eaten there, but I'm sure my husband (Kamala, a few posts above) can attest to its greatness.

I can't believe no one has recommended Elliot's Oyster House. It's easily my favorite restaurant in Seattle. While it's not particularly close to the Fairmont (I think it's still less than a mile away, however) it'd be worth a cab ride if you're not a walker. The food there is absolutely amazing, and no matter how many times I've been I've never been disappointed.

My Mrs. is right-on about Elliott's. Fantastic food, especially great variety of oysters (befitting an oyster house), good waterfront views.

Earth & Ocean is harder to peg. I would definitely recommend it to foodies, but its not somewhere I would take everyone because some folks might find the cooking weird. The other restaurants discussed above (Elliott's, Schucker's, Etta's, Ray's, Anthony's, Ivar's, Palisades) are more likely to have something that will please everyone.

Archived