Rhapsody Windjammer Closing - 12 August cruise

Sorry about title - should be 12 August. I just received a call from my TA stating that on the Rhapsody cruise that begins on 12 August the Windjammer will be closed from 5 - 9 PM Monday through Friday - Buffet will be available in the solarium - all other times only one side of the Windjammer will be open as they are again doing renovations - makes you wonder what they did when this ship was in drydock. I expect to see many angry passengers as I am sure with only one side open the windjammer will be packed and the evenings when the buffet is in the solarium both eaters and individuals trying to use the solarium will be upset with the packed conditions. I guess formal nights will have more individuals underdressed than usual because of the windjammer closing. Would sure like to hear from those on this weeks cruise as it supposedly is going on now.

We are sailing on Sunday and got my call Monday that they will have limited hours due to renovations. The 2 formal nights will be shut down and a buffet set up will be located in a different area of the ship. I am disappointed.

I am on that cruise (August 12-19) so thanks for the information. My TA has not gotten me anything about it, but that does not surprise me, she is not all that helpful. Should make for an interesting trip. I think we will be eating in the dining room alot. Unfortunately, the windjammer was my backup in case my 3 year old does not do well at the dining room. Hmm.

Have cruised on the Rhapsody post drydock and can't imagine what they need to do to improve the Windjammer - the new and improved version looked wonderful to me. I can only guess that this is related to adjustments perceived to be needed for its Asian itineraries.

We ate in the Windjammer in the evening once during our May cruise and it was not at all crowded. I would guess this is why they made the choice to shut it down completely during dinner hours.

DD and I also spent quite a bit of time one evening in the Solarium in the hot tub during early seating dinner time. We were among the very few in there. I admit I did enjoy the quiet. The next night (a formal night) we spent about the same amount of time out in the hot tubs by the main pool. Again, we were one of two groups of people out there. I was surprised that the area was so vacant.

It will be interesting to hear from this week's cruisers if hours in the dining room were expanded, etc. to take up some of the slack.

Don't be disappointed - just eat in the dining room or order room service.

We found the WJ breakfast so bad in 2005 that we skipped it entirely in 2006 and ate in the dining room or had room service. Since they are only closing it for dinner hopefully it will not impact your cruise experience too much. We ate one dinner there last time - only because we had gotten back from Carlos and Charlies and several were a little too "rowdy" for the dining room. :) I guess you have to plan for lines for breakfast and lunch a little more than normal but you can generally get a quick breakfast in the dining room with much fresher food. I'm sure they will be well prepared to move people quickly with this situation.

Please report back to us after you sail - we're on 8/26 and although I want everything full steam ahead, it sounds like they are really making a lot of changes to our beloved ship.

We prefer late dining to take advantage of the peace and quiet of the solarium and pool while others are getting ready for early dinner. We did not book a cruise right out of drydock. This closing is uncalled for in a ship that is fully booked, futhermore, it should not take weeks to get these things done. Evidently, we will also not have a sandwich station. RCCL should be responsible and, at least offer some sort of compensation to passengers. Had we been forwarned about this situation, we would have not booked this sailing or would have taken it into consideration. Now, 16 days out, and there is alrady a damper on my cruise!

If the solarium is the pool area i would avoid eating there with the smell and fumes of chlorine. Enjoy the dining room and be glad you're sailing on Rhapsody because my cruise on her was cancelled for the switch to Asia.

We just got off Rhapsody on June 29th. I didn't see anything in the WJ that was crying out for a refurb. They were doing woodwork, painting and laying carpet in a number of place throughout the ship, though. Not enough to be a disruption of any kind.

Food was great by the way in both Edeweiss and Windjammer. We were table 46, with Leia, Ding and Madhu as Waiter, Asst. Waiter and Head Waiter, respectively. All were outstanding and we miss them all.

Have a great time!

Someone directed me to this thread--I have my own about a phone call I received today from Royal Caribbean about the Windjammer Cafe status for the cruise leaving 12 August of Rhapsody of the Seas. Only they told me that they would give me a complete refund if I decided to cancel (what about my plane tix, vacation from work, disappointment?). Customer Service said that there is going to be CONSTRUCTION NOISE. I went online and looked at the ship, only to discover that it is going to be MY cabin that is directly underneath the construction. He said that they are redoing the starboard side of the cafe and mentioned redoing the salad bar. He said they were working THROUGHOUT the night!! Can this possibly be true?

Does anyone know who I can call who knows what the construction plans really are?

By the way this is a huge splurge for my family and we're in the royal suite.

Kmostrach: I am in the OS right next to you and all they offered me was a $150.00 OBC for the three of us. Initially I thought nothing of it until I realized that we were also right below the construction. Had my TA call RCCL and she was told that "heavy" construction will be going on all night (sawing. hammering, etc.). I really believe that a $150.00 OBC for not getting any sleep for seven nights is insufficient. Unlike you I live in Texas and drive to the cruiseport so I asked for the option they offered you of cancelling the cruise with a full refund that I can apply to a future cruise. I cannot believe that I would enjoy the cruise if I could not sleep at night. If offered the refund in a future cruise credit I will take it. I think they ought to be a little more honest - granted - the message they put out was sufficient for 99% of the passengers - but not sufficient for the passengers directly below the construction which are also their most expensive suites.

I agree that it is unacceptable to be in a stateroom where there is construction noise going on all night, especially when these are in the most expensive suites. It isn't like a sudden situation that Royal Caribbean didn't have any warning was going to occur. This had to be planned well in advance.

I think that since the staterooms underneath the construction are essentially unrentable--who would knowingly book them if they were told about the construction noise-- Royal Caribbean should refund and or offer a future cruise credit and also give the passengers the option of continuing with their cruise gratis. At least it might make it more palatable if you know you aren't paying and the cabin steward would still get tips (something that won't happen if the room sails empty). And with other issues like unrefundable tickets and work vacation time, it would give some option for continuing the vacation. Although if I lived close enough to drive to the port, even a free cruise would not be worth it to me to have to endure the night full of construction noise.

I suggest that those so affected go back and talk with their TAs about the situation. Royal Caribbean should certainly do more than they are currently offering.

The latest comment from RCCL is that I should be happy with the $150.00 OBC - even though the OS was more than $5000.00 -and if I think the noise will be excessive I can get earplugs - unfortunately if we have to continue with the cruise that is what we will do but I still think RCCL could do more.

We are in a GS on the Starboard side also, we have been offered the $150.00 OBC. We were told that there "could be" construction noise. No mention that it will go on all night! I can stand a little noise, but I think they should cut if off by 11:00 pm as a courtesy to their suite guest who are below the construction.

Mike

Wow - the information seems to be getting more complex. It seemed initially that it was minor, now it sounds major. I agree with Kathy, the folks beneath the WJ should get more compensation than $150 OBC and a recommendation of earplugs! We'll be in a GS below it as well on 8/26 and as little sleep as I get on a cruise, I would like it to at least be quiet.

If the cruise is not sold out maybe they can move you to a different room - I know it would not be a suite but you would at least have a room and hopefully a HUGE discount, if not a free cruise. I really hope they do right by the few cabins that are impacted by this. Considering the WJ was totally gutted and redone in February this seems like an unexpected situation.

I'm sorry, $150 is absurd - we EACH got that for a delayed boarding on Brilliance in 2005, and it was only a 3-night cruise! I'm not sure what you can hold out for, but as a shareholder, it greatly distresses me that RCI would screw over the big spenders like that.

Archived