LAX or SNA?

PrincessAmie

Sorry if this has been asked a millioin times. For some reason the search function never works for me.

Which aiport is closer to Long Beach. Or I guess the question is which is better since closer doesn't always mean you will get there faster due to traffic. ;)

LAX is closer than John Wayne, but the closest is Long Beach. If you are able to fly in there (limited airlines) it is a breeze to get in and out of that airport compared to either of the other ones you listed.

Sorry if this has been asked a millioin times. For some reason the search function never works for me.

Which aiport is closer to Long Beach. Or I guess the question is which is better since closer doesn't always mean you will get there faster due to traffic. ;)

Here's what may soon become my "FAQ" answer:

There are five commercial airports that service the Greater Los Angeles area: LAX, Burbank, John Wayne (Orange County), Ontario and Long Beach...

Approximate distance (in miles) within a few tenths of a mile depending on route taken to San Pedro Cruise Terminal (The Long Beach Pier is approximately 6 miles from the San Pedro Pier...I'll put numbers in parentheses for distances to Long Beach Pier):

Long Beach: 15 (11.5)

LAX: 20 (23)

Burbank: 35 (38.5)

John Wayne: 35 (31)

Ontario: 60 (55)

Long Beach and Burbank are both very small airports with limited airlines serving them and limited numbers of flights to limited numbers of destinations.

Ontario and John Wayne are "medium-sized" airports.

LAX is massive. One of the busiest and largest airports in the world and the main hub for about every airline that flies between Asia/Pacific and North America. The trade-off with LAX is that you can get flights anywhere at any time...but you also put up with longer lines, tighter security and greater distances within the airport.

For cruise travelers, Long Beach is "preferred"...but not really because it's that much closer to the pier than LAX, but because it's easier to get in and out of, to maneuver around and to get through check-in and security...and, yes, it is slightly closer...Use it IF you can find a good flight and fare for YOU...

Use John Wayne or Burbank ONLY if you have some other reason to be in those areas (pre- or post-cruise at Disney or Newport Beach for John Wayne or at Hollywood/Universal for Burbank)...otherwise, you are flying in or out a much longer distance from port and your cabs and/or shuttles will cost you a good deal more and you are taking a bigger risk with traffic and timing...

Don't use Ontario...just WAY too far from the pier...

Hope that helps...

LAX and LB (maybe OC/John Wayne too?) are pretty much a direct drive to both the LA and LB ports (mostly 405 and the Harbor Fwy).

Burbank would mean a few different freeways. And like Steve says, Ontario is just so far away.

BTW we just spent the day in Ventura Harbor so we went by Calabasas.

If you can try to fly into Long Beach. It is much more convenient to the pier in San Pedro and it is an easy airport to deal with. We have done this several times. If we could not get a flight there then we dealt with LAX.

Keith

Thank you all for your responses.

We flew into LGB last time and it was super convenient. But this time a friend arranged our flights and she found a deal on Southwest. Southwest doesn't go to LGB.

Thanks for your help! We booked our flight and we are all set for October. :D

Archived