Price paid for cruise differ from what is quoted on HAL website

cruz chic

We live in Canada as well. Our experience is the following

-The HAL website always and Canadian TA's typically charge the HAL currency adjusted rate. Most cruise lines set the exchange rate at the start of the year. I believe that HAL uses a 15 point exchange rate...just a little higher than todays 5-6 point range.

We now always book on line after doing the research. One compare on line net pricing (it can really vary) and then as a final check we put the cruise out to 'tender' on a cruise competion site that collects quotes from multiple on line TA's We may spend the same, but usually end up with a better cabin. You should be able to save about $140. pp minimum unless there is a blow out cruise line web site sale. Just be careful and compare on line bottom line prices. We usually arrive two days prior to the cruise

We book our own air and hotel.

We never have paid the cruise lines posted cost. Also we always get on some bookings either free insurance, on board credits , wine or all of the above.

On our next luxury cruise we will get a $1600 rebate check after our cruise has been completed from our on line agent. .

Shop around ...

I too live in booming Alberta and cruise solo. All the hotels near Fort Lauderdale airport will pick you up and most will take you to ship. I never take HAL air--too expensive.

I just booked Circle Hawaii yesterday in US funds using a local agent. I saved about $600 on exchange. I did pay what the HAL site listed. I could have saved $200 more booking with an internet agency,but chose not to--I have done this in the past and it was fine, but I am more comfortable booking locally.

We all have different comfort levels--you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Go on the CC rollcall boards and there are often hotel suggestions for different ports.

It is true that you cannot book in US $$$ if you also purchase air from HAL. But if you call and say : I want to pay US $$$ with gateway - Fort Lauderdale or Rome or Rio (or whatever the embarkation port is), they will allow you.

About the rate of exchange US $$$ CA : this is the explanation I received. At some point Hal buys Canadian dollars, lots of them and then uses them until they are gone. So if HAL bought the $$$ CA at $1.21, this is what they will charge to the Canadians. I do not know if this theory is true. But it is a fact that the rate of exchange is not a good deal to say the least.

I always pay in US $$$ even if I am Canadian.

Also, HAL gives me 2 extra discounts from the website prices. One for me being a Mariner, not always worthwhile but sometimes it is 2% and another 5% because I am a Grand Mariner, i.e. I have sailed on a Grand Voyage.

As for prices differences between passengers, expect them and don't ask. Like for airplanes fares, they will vary from week to week. Just enjoy and have a good time. If the price was right when you booked, then all is fine. A few $$$ less should not matter that much !

It is true that you cannot book in US $$$ if you also purchase air from HAL. But if you call and say : I want to pay US $$$ with gateway - Fort Lauderdale or Rome or Rio (or whatever the embarkation port is), they will allow you.

About the rate of exchange US $$$ CA : this is the explanation I received. At some point Hal buys Canadian dollars, lots of them and then uses them until they are gone. So if HAL bought the $$$ CA at $1.21, this is what they will charge to the Canadians. I do not know if this theory is true. But it is a fact that the rate of exchange is not a good deal to say the least.

I always pay in US $$$ even if I am Canadian.

Also, HAL gives me 2 extra discounts from the website prices. One for me being a Mariner, not always worthwhile but sometimes it is 2% and another 5% because I am a Grand Mariner, i.e. I have sailed on a Grand Voyage.

As for prices differences between passengers, expect them and don't ask. Like for airplanes fares, they will vary from week to week. Just enjoy and have a good time. If the price was right when you booked, then all is fine. A few $$$ less should not matter that much !

Hello Louise,

Thank you for the information provided. Please see my post number #11. I don't mind what other people are paying. I really don't care. I want to get the best possible price for me. I am taking a very long cruise next November. A few dollars isn't the problem. When it's hundreds and hundreds, I have a problem. I work hard for my money and it doesn't come easily. When I spend $7000 plus on a cruise a few hundred would help.

I too live in booming Alberta and cruise solo. All the hotels near Fort Lauderdale airport will pick you up and most will take you to ship. I never take HAL air--too expensive.

I just booked Circle Hawaii yesterday in US funds using a local agent. I saved about $600 on exchange. I did pay what the HAL site listed. I could have saved $200 more booking with an internet agency,but chose not to--I have done this in the past and it was fine, but I am more comfortable booking locally.

We all have different comfort levels--you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Go on the CC rollcall boards and there are often hotel suggestions for different ports.

Thank you Camrosegirl,

It's great to get the perspective of someone close to Calgary.

I understand. This is why you can arrange to use the HAL transfer/hotel and make your own airline arrangements. I am sure you will save a bundle.

I back up what hammy said....just book your own air and buy the tranfers from HAL. Your TA is wrong if she said you can't.

I'm from Canada. We always get a better price than advertised on the HAL website (we book through a TA). Also, we always book in USD. The HAL exchange rate is absurd. We saved about $800 on the difference in interest rate alone on the deposit. We just paid the final bill so I am not sure of how much was saved in total for the entire cruise.

Archived