Price paid for cruise differ from what is quoted on HAL website

cruz chic

When I'm on a cruise I constantly hear people say they pay lower then the rate that is on the HAL website for their cruise. No matter how many travel agents I try they always come up with the same price as the HAL website is or higher. Does anyone find they get a better pricing then what is quoted on the HAL website or are these people dreaming? I live in Canada in case that makes a difference. Thanks.

When I'm on a cruise I constantly hear people say they pay lower then the rate that is on the HAL website for their cruise. No matter how many travel agents I try they always come up with the same price as the HAL website is or higher. Does anyone find they get a better pricing then what is quoted on the HAL website or are these people dreaming? I live in Canada in case that makes a difference. Thanks.

I'm not sure, Canada pricing may be different. I've always gotten a little better pricing than the HAL website. Maybe the TA's get a little better price or buy so many cabins to sell at a better group rate, etc. It's not thousands, but for my upcoming Alaska Cruisetour I saw it at Costco Travel for about $400 less than the HAL website. I called my TA and ask if they could match the price, and they did. I kept watching the HAL website to see if prices came down, and they didn't, now the cruise is completely sold out, so while I didn't save thousands, I did save $800.

I've never been able to take advantage of any price drops for any of my cruises, the prices always went up.

LOL -- we learned long ago NEVER to ask anyone else what they paid for their cruise! All sorts of people have all sorts of tall tales that just don't base themselves in reality!

And if anybody asks us what WE paid for the cruise -- we just say, "We got such a good price that HAL made us promise never to tell anybody!"

>:-)

Have a GREAT cruise!

LOL -- we learned long ago NEVER to ask anyone else what they paid for their cruise! All sorts of people have all sorts of tall tales that just don't base themselves in reality!

And if anybody asks us what WE paid for the cruise -- we just say, "We got such a good price that HAL made us promise never to tell anybody!"

Have a GREAT cruise!

That's a good answer. When I'm asked I reply if I we talk about the price one of us will be upset. So lets don't.

Our TA has been able to get better pricing for us. As an example, our next cruise (Jan 2008) is one that HAL recently included in their 3-day sale. We could have saved (a whopping) $40/pp IF we downgraded a few categories - which would have meant a new booking - involving giving up our 'Traditional' dining time. We booked last December-ish, so rather than settling for what cabins are left, we got our preferred choice of cabin and dining. We passed on the 3-day 'sale'. We're also booked on the E'dam Inugural with better pricing. It can be done. I agree, I don't want to know while cruising that someone got even better pricing - or spoil their cruise with our cost. ;)

I always find a better price. There are many good TA's that you can find on the internet. I don't know if they handle Canada, but you can always ask.

Since we cannot give out any TA names here, you can find some of them by clicking on Bargains which is right above Cruise Critic at the top of the page. It will show you a list of cruises, click on the cruise and at the bottom you will find the TA's phone numbers and internet address. Do this on a number of them since there are a number of different TA's.

There was a program on cruises last night on the Travel channel. They said, "rule #1, never pay brochure rates." This morning I booked EURODAM for next fall, cost was $600+ per couple less than brochure. I have friends in the UK who have booked Princess at brochure rate. My TA said that she has UK clients and the price that she quoted me was $1000. less than they paid. Follow the advice of the previous post and save money.

My last cruise on HAL (May '07) was booked through a large TA and was several hundred dollars less than HAL's website (deluxe verandah suite). Same thing for my next HAL cruise in January. I don't ask how or why, but I assume it's strength in numbers.

Thanks for all the great info listed so far.

I just want to clarify my position. I don't care if someone paid $500 for a cruise that I paid $2000. There are different situations involved. My question is "Is your rate lower then what you are quoted on the HAL website"? I'm not worried that someone got something for less then I did. I am just interested that I am getting the best price I can get for me. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear in my original post.

It doesn't appear that anyone from Canada is replying. I am wondering if there is more competition in the US as there are more people.

Prices are quoted on the HAL website for Canadians in Canadian dollars.

There has been abundant comment on these boards about how high HAL's Canadian exchange rate is.

But, that said, we have never paid even close to the HAL's website quoted Canadian price. Usually 10 - 20% less. In the actual breakdown of costs, airfare, taxes, NDA and transfers are the same, but the base cruise price is always less. Even using a HAL agent can get you a price lower than the HAL website price, as they are usually able to find a promo price, if asked.

Of course, paying in US dollars will get you a lower price overall.

Canada here - we paid what we call the "rack rate" for years. There didn't seem to be any break for us at all. what really adds up is the high exchange rate that HAL charges - our next cruise was charged 1.21 exchange and that adds up to a lot extra. We booked the whole thing in US dollars and saved a bundle. The same cruise next year is also listed at 1.21 exchange rate. Surely there is something wrong in charging that much when our dollar is so strong and has been for some time.

anyway, we not only saved a lot by paying in US dollars but our B & A travel agency discounted the cruise to get our business - they took less commission in order to do that. If you email me I will give you the name of the agency - I believe that they are nation wide - the service is first rate too.

Kayceca@yahoo.ca

Hi, The computer seems to know we are canadian by our email I guess, so I always phone an agent directly at HAL. That way you can request to be billed and/or quoted in USD and let your credit card do the math. The HAl exchange rate is &^^(()% gouging and should not be allowed!! They don't even pretend to keep up to the market..they set it and too bad for you.

Then, when you find all the online agencies, you can compare apples and apples. We have used 4 different online agencies all with good results... no problems whatsoever and always well below Hal published or online rates. Sometimes it is simply a great rate, sometimes OBC, or pre paid gratuities.

I have heard that if you want to do a Brithish friend a huge favour, you can book for them from this side as if you were buying them a gift cruise. I do not know if this is true.

We have never paid the price quoted on HAL's website or on their brochures - we've always paid less. The last 2 cruises were booked with a HAL agent by telephone and we were taken care of in grand style. I kept checking HAL's website to see if the prices were ever lowered, then became concerned that we'd been misquoted and would have to pay the difference. Nope, we paid what we were quoted by the agent and did so in US $ to save even more money.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks to my fellow cdn's for replying. I really wanted to pay in USD but I use HAL's air as I am a female travelling alone and I want everything to be a no brainer....ie...airport to hotel...hotel to ship all arranged by HAL. They will not book it in USD if it is a cdn gateway. I may try through the internet at some point since it seems to be a good way to go. I have to admit I love technology but I'm still nervous about losing money booking through the internet.

I want to also thank the posters on this board. It has been an amazing learning tool for me and I really appreciate it!

Have a GREAT cruise!

I like that idea. Each of us search for the "best"rice, but there are 100s of web sites that state just that. The best one can do is shop around some and talk to a real person. There are no certianties on getting a beeter price than HAL offers.

I have alwys paid in USD even when leaving on a cruise from vancouver, so they do book in USD from a canadian gateway. Perhaps HAL won't because they want the extra $ from an exchange rate of 18%, but any on line agent will. I would encourage you to try talking to some...they are really very professional for the most part, and if you stay with one of the real biggies, you won't have any trouble at all. Also, pay by C C and then IF there is any difficulty, you simply sic the Visa hounds on them by disputing the charges. I always get the reservation number from the online agency, so I can phone the crusie line myself, or go online and see that my deposit it sitting there already creditied.

Don't be afaid to use this wonderful technology to your advantage!!!

I have alwys paid in USD even when leaving on a cruise from vancouver, so they do book in USD from a canadian gateway. Perhaps HAL won't because they want the extra $ from an exchange rate of 18%, but any on line agent will. I would encourage you to try talking to some...they are really very professional for the most part, and if you stay with one of the real biggies, you won't have any trouble at all. Also, pay by C C and then IF there is any difficulty, you simply sic the Visa hounds on them by disputing the charges. I always get the reservation number from the online agency, so I can phone the crusie line myself, or go online and see that my deposit it sitting there already creditied.

Don't be afaid to use this wonderful technology to your advantage!!!

I find this very frustrating. I talked to HAL about booking in USD and well as a travel agent with a large agency and both assured me it could not be done. Looks like I need to use the internet. Thanks so much for the info.

The agency I work for negotiates better pricing (and amenities) on many HAL cruises than HAL offers directly. As does head office, which we have access to book into as well.

Additionally, our agency is offered pricing from HAL on select sailings that can not be advertised (in print or online) so you will never see it posted by us or any competitor... anywhere. Fortunately we can email it out to our subscribers and clients alike. Otherwise, the only people we can tell are the ones that phone us.

In short, where I work the most anyone would ever pay with us for a HAL cruise is the same as what HAL offers direct, but this is rare as it is most often lower.

This is a Canadian thing. Please consider booking your own air, going forward.

You can still buy a transfer from HAL, if this increases your comfort level.

The problem is getting from the airport to the hotel the day before. I find Florida to be a scarey place travelling by myself. I don't feel comfortable getting into a cab by myself. Flying in the same day is too risky and pretty much impossible as it is so far. When I take west coast cruise I do book the air myself as it's pretty easy and fast to get to the port of embarkation.

The problem is getting from the airport to the hotel the day before. I find Florida to be a scarey place travelling by myself. I don't feel comfortable getting into a cab by myself. Flying in the same day is too risky and pretty much impossible as it is so far. When I take west coast cruise I do book the air myself as it's pretty easy and fast to get to the port of embarkation.

I understand. This is why you can arrange to use the HAL transfer/hotel and make your own airline arrangements. I am sure you will save a bundle.

I understand. This is why you can arrange to use the HAL transfer/hotel and make your own airline arrangements. I am sure you will save a bundle.

I would probably save a fair bit. I asked a travel agent if I could use my own air and HAL's transfers to get between the airport and hotel and was told no. This is why I use HAL's air. If I asked HAL they would probably tell me no too.

The problem here in Calgary is that the economy is booming in a big way. It very hard to get anyone in Calgary to do a decent job at anything. I think the travel agents here do as little as possible. If you don't want to book a trip through them there is 10 behind you that will. I think I should price out the internet.

My problem now is that I have 3 cruises booked which will take me through the end of 2008. The last one is super expensive. This is good food for thought in the future.

We have a cruise booked in Oct. I had called HAL and asked for the lowest price on a balcony for two pax. I then went online to a broker that we have used before, asked for the same identical cabin and the total we saved was around $450 booking with the online company. Hope this helps.

Missygirl

Archived