Good eating near Brooklyn Pier or Red Hook Park?

Boethius

We will be staying at the Brooklyn Motor Inn the night before departure. Does anyone know of a good place to eat that would be nearby? Even a hole-in-the-wall would work since they usually have swell food ... or a Jewish deli. Thanks very much for any suggestions:)

Boethius:

I grew up in the Red Hook Section, and there were always good restaurants in the area. They were mostly Italian, but you could find a Jewish Deli, or other foods as well. Someone at the hotel should be able to point you in the right direction, as the area has a bad reputation!

We will be staying at the Brooklyn Motor Inn the night before departure. Does anyone know of a good place to eat that would be nearby? Even a hole-in-the-wall would work since they usually have swell food ... or a Jewish deli. Thanks very much for any suggestions:)

Can I join you? :p

I have stopped twice at a little corner deli just a few blocks from the pier, I saw a lot of Emergency workers Police/fire/paramedics eating there so you know it must be popular.

Don't know the name of it though, had great egg sandwhichs for breakfast.

in many wonderful restaurants. The little Italian restaurants with fresh pastas were my favorite; however, there were all kinds of ethic restaurants, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Chinese-French fusion, Thai, all with unbelievably reasonable prices. Many restaurants in Brooklyn also deliver. Ask when you get to your hotel. They should be able to direct you. Also, if you get a chance, check out the Fairway Market in Red Hook. They have everything you could imagine and have a cafe for breakfast and lunch with outdoor seating with a view of the Statue of Liberty. Brooklyn is great!

in many wonderful restaurants. The little Italian restaurants with fresh pastas were my favorite; however, there were all kinds of ethic restaurants, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Chinese-French fusion, Thai, all with unbelievably reasonable prices. Many restaurants in Brooklyn also deliver. Ask when you get to your hotel. They should be able to direct you. Also, if you get a chance, check out the Fairway Market in Red Hook. They have everything you could imagine and have a cafe for breakfast and lunch with outdoor seating with a view of the Statue of Liberty. Brooklyn is great!

Ok, that settles it, I am coming too! :D :D

If you love great Key Lime Pie, there is a guy who makes the best, just a few blocks from the pier. A special treat is the frozen chocolate covered Key Lime pie tart on a stick...those never make it out of the parking lot. Steve's Authentic on Van Dyke St....the absolute best! It's definitely worth a trip...take some on the ship with you.:D

If you love great Key Lime Pie, there is a guy who makes the best, just a few blocks from the pier. A special treat is the frozen chocolate covered Key Lime pie tart on a stick...those never make it out of the parking lot. Steve's Authentic on Van Dyke St....the absolute best! It's definitely worth a trip...take some on the ship with you.:D

If they are frozen, how can that be done? :confused:

Can I join you? :p

Sure Jan - just come down to Brooklyn the day before we sail!!

Colo Cruiser - that corner deli sounds swell - any idea which corner?

Italian food!! That settles it for moi. I do plan on getting to the Fairway Market in Red Hook too. We land @ LGA around 1pm, so we should have plenty of time to roam around. I'm lifting weights, so any robbers best be wary, LOLOL:D

Colo Cruiser - that corner deli sounds swell - any idea which corner?

No but it is close to the terminal, maybe Sid (smeyer) will pop in and clarify. Ask the police at the terminal who direct the traffic there, I know they all know where it is. :)

I am looking for a hotel in Brooklyn for the day before our cruise. I want something close to the terminal. I was looking at the Comfort Inn. There at least 3 in the area: They are on Emmons Ave, Butler St. and 4th Ave. Which one do you think is the best to stay at or do you have any other hotels to recommend that would be close and a decent place to stay with Restaurants near by. It is only for one night and we are arriving about 7PM into JFK.

Thanks,

Liz:confused:

I am looking for a hotel in Brooklyn for the day before our cruise. I want something close to the terminal. I was looking at the Comfort Inn. There at least 3 in the area: They are on Emmons Ave, Butler St. and 4th Ave. Which one do you think is the best to stay at or do you have any other hotels to recommend that would be close and a decent place to stay with Restaurants near by. It is only for one night and we are arriving about 7PM into JFK.

Thanks,

Emmons Ave is not by the port, it's in Sheepshead Bay, right on water, nice area, good food but about 30 min from Red hook.

4th Avenue, not a great place, I wouldn't stay there. It's more of a by the hour hotel.

Butler St, not bad, good food, I'm thinking it's Cobble Hill area which is very nice.

Well, I guess I made a big mistake than. Yikes! :eek: The rate for this boutique hotel was the same rate we were paying for the Comfort in and it looked closer to the port. . http://www.hotellebleu.com/ It looks really nice, so I booked it. But it is on 4th Ave. Since we are only spending the night, do you really think it matters? We won't be walking around after we arrive. We probably won't get to the hotel till close to 9PM. I'd still like to hear of some other recommendation if anyone has any.

Thanks.

PS: We have never been to NY so do not know anything about the areas

Thanks,

Marriottt Brooklyn Bridge would be your best bet I think. Not cheap though. :)

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies - what a nice bunch of folks! Hugs to John Lauben for providing those terrific links. After a quick dash (cab) over to the Brooklyn Museum, looks like we'll have a nice choice of eateries .... yum!:p

I checked the location of the hotel you booked and it is on the edge of Park Slope. There are some great neighborhood restaurants on 5th Avenue a few blocks from its' location, including Blue Ribbon- a great sushi place. If you are walkers you can walk to Prospect Park. The Slope is one of NYC's best neighborhoods. It's safe and charming and close to the dock. I think you should keep your reservation.

hi I was away. I just drove by the Comfort Inn in Red hook.....or is it Park Slope south. Its in an industrial neighborhood that is changing rapidly. In fact the reason I go down that street is the window glass company across the street cuts glass. Its ok by day and deserted at night. Not unsafe but not my cup of tea(in fact third avenue used to be the hooker avenue in Brooklyn and not the high class ones). Its close to Fifth Avenue that has good restaurants(try Aunt Suzie's). The Brooklyn Motor Inn is more isolated actually. There are good restuarants close by but you should drive at night.

As some people know I like Hope and Anchor but there is also 360 Van Brunt that has a prix fix menu that is generally outstanding. There is always Fairway that does make sandwiches but it isn't a jewish kosher style restaurant that you will have a hard time finding in this neighborhood- which has great Italian deli's on both Smith and Court Street. Los Hermanos(I know it isn't Italian at the Corner of Smith and Wyckoff makes to die for sandwiches)....

Hotel Blu just opened and its around the corner(no kidding) from the Comfort Inn)....

PS now that the second avenue(in Manhattan not Brooklyn) deli's is closed junior's on Flatbush and Fulton mall is probably the best in the area. Its know for its Cheesecake. They have a website. The lower east side still has some great delis....just not what they used to be.

Marriottt Brooklyn Bridge would be your best bet I think. Not cheap though

What's wrong with the Brooklyn Motor Lodge? It's new, no frills but clean - one block from cruise pier - and only $120 for Sunday night? I checked Hotel LeBleu - their "best rate" was nearly $400!:eek:

Archived