??? on Airfare Included to Australia/NZ

wblevin

OK - I booked a cruise to Australia/NZ on the Mercury for January 2008. We board the ship on Sunday in Sydney and the ship actually doesn't leave until Monday evening (Sunday nite we use the ship as a hotel). At the end of the trip, we arrive in Auckland Sunday morning.

WE booked this cruise with airfare included (I NEVER take the ship airfare - it is ALWAYS more expensive than I can get on my own - but this time it was a lot less expensive). TA sends me an airfare deviation form - will cost me $75 per person for the airfare deviation and $60 per person additional airfare to go out a day ahead and return a day later, but they are sending me home on Monday evening - all in all, Sunday evening would be fine - I just didn't want them to send me home Sunday afternoon - I would like to see the glow worm caves a couple hours outside of Auckland.

Now - since I have never done cruise airfare before, I want to make sure that they don't land us in Sydney late Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning and want to make sure they don't send us out of Auckland at noon on Sunday. Has anyone done this before with cruise airfare? We are leaving from Newark/New York area. Any help would be appreciated with what I can expect with their air arrangements.

Right now the air may be cheaper with celebrity, but unless you have airlines and flights right now, it will be the role of the dice as to whether all your wishes will be granted. If I wanted what you want to do, I would get my own air. Do a search on the boards, there are quite a few stories about air through cruise line that were less than perfect.

OK - I booked a cruise to Australia/NZ on the Mercury for January 2008. We board the ship on Sunday in Sydney and the ship actually doesn't leave until Monday evening (Sunday nite we use the ship as a hotel). At the end of the trip, we arrive in Auckland Sunday morning.

WE booked this cruise with airfare included (I NEVER take the ship airfare - it is ALWAYS more expensive than I can get on my own - but this time it was a lot less expensive). TA sends me an airfare deviation form - will cost me $75 per person for the airfare deviation and $60 per person additional airfare to go out a day ahead and return a day later, but they are sending me home on Monday evening - all in all, Sunday evening would be fine - I just didn't want them to send me home Sunday afternoon - I would like to see the glow worm caves a couple hours outside of Auckland.

Now - since I have never done cruise airfare before, I want to make sure that they don't land us in Sydney late Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning and want to make sure they don't send us out of Auckland at noon on Sunday. Has anyone done this before with cruise airfare? We are leaving from Newark/New York area. Any help would be appreciated with what I can expect with their air arrangements.

If you are a member of Captain's Club, the $75 fee for the airfare deviation is waived.

I agree with the poster just above me (I think he will be there when I get this typed) as you can see we are going on Jan 20 2008--which dates are you? We used club numbers & didn't pay any extra..it appears you have gone at least once with X--as in your siggie--so you should have a number--if not call & let them know when you traveled & they'll give you a number on the phone..anyway--we board on the 20th Sun--we leave on the 16th--come into Sydney like 8am Friday & staying at a hotel in Quay)got using Priceline) area--then board on Sunday & as you say--spend the night onboard & travel out Monday afternoon. We also are staying over in Auckland & flying home on Feb 5th..just get your Member club numbers & then figure out how early you want to go & how later to return--then give those dates to custom air--make sure you let them know you ARE Capt Members..they will not charge you for adding those dates--now once you make those if you want to go change the dates they WILL charge you $75 each & whatever it is over...now for us the cheapest I could find for air when I let X do it was $2400 EACH--we got it thru X for $1199 ( I don't think they are giving that number now tho)--now let me know what dates you are going--if the 20th of Jan--come on over to our Roll Call. For sure have a GREAT cruise.:D

West coast to NZ or Australia are overnight flights. And are they long!

NZ to west coast leave Auckland generally early evening. These are tough flights. About the only deviation that makes sense would be flight to Hawaii , spend a day and then continue on. Otherwise you are in for a long long flight. Air New Zealand does have a class above coach but below !st that might be worth investigating. My wife never wants to makes these flights again in coach!

Air New Zealand has very nice business class from LAX and SFO to Auckland. They have lay-flat beds. Totally worth booking if you can swing it, it was over 13 hours from SFO to Auckland! They are a Star Alliance member so if you have a ton of miles on either US Air or United you might be able to get tickets or an upgrade that way.

The whole point to an air deviation is to specify exactly what you want and then see if they can deliver it at a cost you are willing to pay. Having said that, we have done AUS/NZ twice and both times we arrived in the early morning and left to come home in the early afternoon. The flights are long and they do take it out of you, especially if you don't sleep well, or at all, on a plane, but they are worth the "pain" for the beauty of that part of the world. Since you also want time in Auckland, tell your TA to request flights that arrive in Sydney on Saturday and depart Auckland on Monday. Keeping in mind the Dateline, your outbound flight will (probably) leave New York Thursday and you will arrive in Sydney on Saturday. On the way home you will leave Auckland at about Noon on Monday and arrive in LA at about 7:30AM Monday morning. In absolute hours your time "in transit" will probably be in the neighbourhood of 24 hours in each direction, so if you can stretch the budget far enough to afford more than Economy, by all means do it. Especially if this will be a "once in a lifetime " trip.

We are looking at the holiday 2008 sailing from Auckland to New Zealand, Dec. 21 2008-Jan. 4 2009. Celebrity air, R/T from San Francisco is quoted at $1972pp, which is far less than we are able to find right now anywhere else. We would probably do a Custom Air Request and arrive a couple of days early, and spend some additional time in Australia post cruise. The deviation would be to arrive a couple of days early, and stay several days longer.

We are looking at the holiday 2008 sailing from Auckland to New Zealand, Dec. 21 2008-Jan. 4 2009. Celebrity air, R/T from San Francisco is quoted at $1972pp, which is far less than we are able to find right now anywhere else. We would probably do a Custom Air Request and arrive a couple of days early, and spend some additional time in Australia post cruise. The deviation would be to arrive a couple of days early, and stay several days longer.

Ooops, I meant Auckalnd to Sydney. It must be late. G'night!

wow - finally the captain's circle that we actually PAID for many many years ago (think $35 a couple) will actually be worthwhile for us - funny the TA didn't mention it!!! Hard to find a good TA these days I guess. Thank you soooo much for letting me know!

The deviation they were offering arrived Saturday morning into Sydney and departed Monday nite from Auckland. Going out was on United switching in LA. DH checked United, we can upgrade in certain airline class fares (H and M??) for 30,000 points per person to 1st class going to Sydney. I usually can't sleep on planes, but maybe a good dose of valium and first class might help - lol.

They were putting us on Qantas coming home - no upgrades available on this airline - maybe we can request United returning?? Will have to explore this route further. Interesting they did put my brother (flying to/from Las Vegas on United both ways, switching in SFO tho). Kinda would be nice to fly the long stretch with them.

We are sailing on the 20th as well, with another couple and a single lady - all in our 40s and 50s. Will stop over at the other board shortly - thanks!

I can't ring in on airfare information but would some of you do me a favor? The orchestra director, actually he is music director for the whole ship, is Jeff Hughes. He is a fantastic person and so nice. Would you tell him that Patty and Ed send hellos? I would really appreciate it.

wow - finally the captain's circle that we actually PAID for many many years ago (think $35 a couple) will actually be worthwhile for us - funny the TA didn't mention it!!! Hard to find a good TA these days I guess. Thank you soooo much for letting me know!

The deviation they were offering arrived Saturday morning into Sydney and departed Monday nite from Auckland. Going out was on United switching in LA. DH checked United, we can upgrade in certain airline class fares (H and M??) for 30,000 points per person to 1st class going to Sydney. I usually can't sleep on planes, but maybe a good dose of valium and first class might help - lol.

They were putting us on Qantas coming home - no upgrades available on this airline - maybe we can request United returning?? Will have to explore this route further. Interesting they did put my brother (flying to/from Las Vegas on United both ways, switching in SFO tho). Kinda would be nice to fly the long stretch with them.

We are sailing on the 20th as well, with another couple and a single lady - all in our 40s and 50s. Will stop over at the other board shortly - thanks!

I don't mean to sound difficult, but I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say "The deviation they were offering..." When we request Custom Air, WE find the flights we want to go on, and tell them these are the flights we want. That's why we do custom air-- to take the flights WE want. You might want to find flights that are to your liking, and request those.

You can find all of the benefits of Captain's Club on the Celebrity website. Be sure to check it out so you're not missing out on anything else!

Also, I have never filled out a "request form" for Custom Air through Celebrity. I just call or email my travel agent, and tell her we want Custom Air, and give her the flight info. She will them come back to us with whatever the additional cost is for the flights we desire. On our upcoming South America cruise, I think it was about $150 more for the two of us. If you wish more info on how we do this with our agent, email me privately at pjsinca@yahoo.com

Happy sailing.

May I put in my 2 cents worth.

Earlier this year I did a cruise out of Sydney back to USA. 29 days

First the flight, booked with cruise line , I flew from FL to LA (changing planes halfway), had an 8 hour wait in LA then Quantas BUSINESS class to Sydney. Business class on Quantas was very good, I would never go coach ( did it once never again).

Arrival in Sydney was not good, not fault of air line , my wheelchair assist dumped on the wrong side of the immigration line, and I had to walk through with my luggage,they made me open one case, because I had a tube of chewable Dramine in it !!!!!!.

Transport to hotel was crazy - the company supplying the transport had not allowed for the fact the cruise was 29 days - and everyone needed extra luggage.

Hotel, I was booked into the Four Seasons, $525 for solo use of room, got there at 9a.m and was ungraciously told "you will have to wait until 3p.m to get into the room", no service and no assistance.

Yet while sitting around I saw and heard people coming in off the street, with NO RESERVATIONS being greeted with smiles and "certainly sir, we have a room for one night, here is the key" at 10.30 and 11 a.m

Four seasons does not like package deal clients. Pick up of luggage onboarding day was 6.30 A.M. (?) you had to be up to let the bell boy into your room to get the luggage.!

Then though the normal check out was 12 o/clock, we the package deal clients had to check out by 10.am, then sit around until noon waiting for transport to ship. When I went to board the bus I saw the luggage piled up OUTSIDE the hotel on the sidewalk with no one guarding it - no knowing how long it had been there ,since 6.30a.m? Anyone could have simply walked off with any one of the cases.

So my advice is

a/ Do not go to the Four Seasons,

b/ Pay for the night prior to your arrival, that way you can claim your room as soon as you get to the hotel. and be able to have a shower and change your clothes . Even in business class it is a long flight and you feel "grubby and unwashed"

If Mercury uses the same "meet and greet" company as Princess do not expect a friendly welcome. Everyone in the group I travelled with though them "just terrible", not just in their behaviour but their appearnace was as though they had literally rolled out of bed , pulled on yesterday clothes and not bothered to shower or comb their hair.

The cruise itself was really good, 29 days is a long cruise, I travel solo but had wonderful table companions, good food etc.

Would do it again but not staying at Four Seasons ,and book one day prior to arrival. Other passengers I met who booked in less expensive hotel did very much better, more friendly, more caring.

You should have received a credit a few years back for that Captain's Club cost. When they switched to an all-free program, the members who had paid were reimbursed.

You can request whatever you want. However, be aware that the fare codes you're asking for are almost never available in bulk ticketing (which is what the cruise lines purchase), and usually cost significantly more. Doesn't hurt to request it, but don't be surprised if the offer comes back at several hundred (or more) higher... or that they can't sell you those classes of tickets at all.

Another option if you're flying United is to purchase for a year the right to sit in Economy Plus. It's not business class by any means, but it is more comfortable by far than straight economy. Amazing how a few more inches of leg room can make for a lot more comfort. You can read about how to do this on United's site at https://www.unitedpromotions.com/epahome/control/epa

May I put in my 2 cents worth.

Earlier this year I did a cruise out of Sydney back to USA. 29 days

First the flight, booked with cruise line , I flew from FL to LA (changing planes halfway), had an 8 hour wait in LA then Quantas BUSINESS class to Sydney. Business class on Quantas was very good, I would never go coach ( did it once never again).

Arrival in Sydney was not good, not fault of air line , my wheelchair assist dumped on the wrong side of the immigration line, and I had to walk through with my luggage,they made me open one case, because I had a tube of chewable Dramine in it !!!!!!.

Transport to hotel was crazy - the company supplying the transport had not allowed for the fact the cruise was 29 days - and everyone needed extra luggage.

Hotel, I was booked into the Four Seasons, $525 for solo use of room, got there at 9a.m and was ungraciously told "you will have to wait until 3p.m to get into the room", no service and no assistance.

Yet while sitting around I saw and heard people coming in off the street, with NO RESERVATIONS being greeted with smiles and "certainly sir, we have a room for one night, here is the key" at 10.30 and 11 a.m

Four seasons does not like package deal clients. Pick up of luggage onboarding day was 6.30 A.M. (?) you had to be up to let the bell boy into your room to get the luggage.!

Then though the normal check out was 12 o/clock, we the package deal clients had to check out by 10.am, then sit around until noon waiting for transport to ship. When I went to board the bus I saw the luggage piled up OUTSIDE the hotel on the sidewalk with no one guarding it - no knowing how long it had been there ,since 6.30a.m? Anyone could have simply walked off with any one of the cases.

So my advice is

a/ Do not go to the Four Seasons,

b/ Pay for the night prior to your arrival, that way you can claim your room as soon as you get to the hotel. and be able to have a shower and change your clothes . Even in business class it is a long flight and you feel "grubby and unwashed"

If Mercury uses the same "meet and greet" company as Princess do not expect a friendly welcome. Everyone in the group I travelled with though them "just terrible", not just in their behaviour but their appearnace was as though they had literally rolled out of bed , pulled on yesterday clothes and not bothered to shower or comb their hair.

The cruise itself was really good, 29 days is a long cruise, I travel solo but had wonderful table companions, good food etc.

Would do it again but not staying at Four Seasons ,and book one day prior to arrival. Other passengers I met who booked in less expensive hotel did very much better, more friendly, more caring.

WOW you sure weren't treated very nice at all..We are at the Marriot Sydney Harbour & they DO have a room for early arrivals to sorta refresh in--course everyone is in the same room..just sorta hoping we might luck out & get our room early--if not--I am one of those people who never sleep for fear I might miss something:rolleyes: so if no room--we might just go walking around --I know we will CRASH early that night tho.

GREAT look forward to you coming over on the roll call--although it isn't very busy right now--I'm sure as it gets closer it will get busier.

Archived